Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Setup

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
I am doing a few pizzas tonight and have been thinking about the setup. I was going to put the plate setter in legs up, grill grate, fire bricks, and then the pizza stone. Thoughts?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• egginNthefreeworld
    Options
    Thats identical what I do with good success. Some things I have learned and will share:

- They type of dough you use matters when it comes to how hot to cook them at. IE - I get neopolitan (sp) dough from my local pizza joint and it works the best in that I can cook that baby at about 600-700 and havent got to worry about burning the bottom of the custs. American style dough that I started with from say publix deli - while its not bad, you just dont want to get over about 450, from my experience.

- whatever type you use, I rotate pie about a quarter turn ever few minutes, this helps get all cooked evenly.

- I use parchment paper to get from peel to stone and it pulls out easy after a few minutes of cooking. This works great for me.

Good luck! I am cooking 4 tonight myself, my fam loves them! 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    That's a pretty standard setup.  It should work fine.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You're good.
    Options
    bhugg said:
    I am doing a few pizzas tonight and have been thinking about the setup. I was going to put the plate setter in legs up, grill grate, fire bricks, and then the pizza stone. Thoughts?
    That sounds like a plan.  

I use platesetter legs down, grate, stone.  What for temp to get to where you desire it.. I do about 650º, and let the stone warm up for about 15-20.  

Keep a close eye on it.. I know the saying is "if you're lookin', it ain't cookin'".. or whatever.. but open it up after about 3 mins to check the bottom.  The longer you let the egg sit the faster (much faster) it will cook.

Below is after about 7 minutes.. 
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
    Intersting setup. I've always done legs up/grill/ stone. I switched to an XL recently and noticed I have to really watch the temp of the stone. It was getting way too hot. I ended up trying to keep dome temp around 450-475 to keep the stone from getting too hot. On my large egg I could jack the temp up much higher with less issues of the stone getting too hot. 
    I had to take the stone out to cool off. That's not ideal!
    Then theres the fire bricks. I've never used those either. 

With all that said, I actually feed the guests typical pizzas and I hold out for the pan pizza! Soooo much better imho. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nothing wrong with legs down but be forewarned that it will direct a lot more heat on your gasket than legs up. 

Of course, if you don't have a gasket, there shouldn't be a problem. ;)
    Options
    SO many ways, but as long as your cooking stone is protected from the direct heat, you are good to go. Happy Za's
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    Options
    Done and done. Best pizza I have ever made.

Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Nice work! That looks delicious.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Deluca
    Deluca Posts: 148
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2017
    Options
    bhugg said:
    Looks like you had great success. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Nice looking pies right there
  • erikjs71
    erikjs71 Posts: 69
    Options
    Deluca said:
    Intersting setup. I've always done legs up/grill/ stone. I switched to an XL recently and noticed I have to really watch the temp of the stone. It was getting way too hot. I ended up trying to keep dome temp around 450-475 to keep the stone from getting too hot. On my large egg I could jack the temp up much higher with less issues of the stone getting too hot. 
    I had to take the stone out to cool off. That's not ideal!
    Then theres the fire bricks. I've never used those either. 

With all that said, I actually feed the guests typical pizzas and I hold out for the pan pizza! Soooo much better imho. 
    Yeah.. the first time I attempted pizza on my L Egg I did that setup, and I burnt the living crap out of the bottom of every pizza.. Literally after 2-3 minutes, at 600º.. If you go legs up, you have to work fast and not let the stone get too hot. To nolaegghead's point though...

nolaegghead said:
    Nothing wrong with legs down but be forewarned that it will direct a lot more heat on your gasket than legs up. 

Of course, if you don't have a gasket, there shouldn't be a problem. ;)
    Yeah.. your gasket will get a lot of direct heat. You can see mine gets a little fried... but with the amount of sauce, cheese, grease, and anything else that drops on that gasket, I plan on changing it more than most people.. just from a cleanliness standpoint.
  • erikjs71
    Options
    I've also seen the same setup I use with no grate.. just the stone onto of the plate setter.   I think that might work better.. I plan on trying it out.
  • erikjs71
    Options
    bhugg said:
    Done and done. Best pizza I have ever made.

Looks FANTASTIC!!! Hey.. don't fix it if it ain't broken.. Just do the method you'd just did, and keep it.  Looks great!!