Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the correct temperature to cook chili?

Options
I'm brand new to the egg world. I've only used it a couple of times but I really want to try to cook as much as I can on the egg to learn as many techniques as I can. My Girlfriend makes a mean chili. I want to cook it on the egg thinking it may give it a nice flavor. My question is, what it the best temp to cook it and for how long? Also, what are the best flavored chips to use with it? 

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    That would depend on if you want to go start to finish on the egg or simply finish. I prefer option 2. Have everything cooked and in the cast iron dutch oven and then go uncovered to the egg indirect at a fairly low temp, say 250-275. Don't use fruit woods. I've been partial to pecan lately but a chunk of hickory or a couple of oak would also do. Stir fairly often to distribute the smoke flavor if that's what you're after. Maybe 2-3 hours. It's quite forgiving and just depends how smoky you want. Give us a report.
  • Davidevan23
    Options
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I don't have a Cast Iron Dutch Oven, but I do have a heavy duty, restaurant quality stainless steel pot. Will that work?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I have not found a magic temperature that always works. I always end up just adjusting the fire until the chili maintains a slow bubbling simmer, not a rapid boil. Assuming you are cooking with your dutch oven direct, you'll probably be in the 275-300 ballpark. Chili is delicious off the EGG. Enjoy!
    Chris 
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Start with it a bit on the watery side - with no lid you're gonna lose moisture - and stir frequently!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    213F
    Options
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot. I don't have a Cast Iron Dutch Oven, but I do have a heavy duty, restaurant quality stainless steel pot. Will that work?
    Sure will.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you just need a light simmer, start with 300 and adjust up or down in regards to the simmer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited July 2017
    Options
    213F

I figured from you, you would have at least taken into consideration his elevation, not to mention a simmer would be preferred over a rapid boil, that is if water or chili can even be boiled in an egg.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    poster said:
    213F

I figured from you, you would have at least taken into consideration his elevation, not to mention a simmer would be preferred over a rapid boil, that is if water or chili can even be boiled in an egg.
    I did.  Dissolved solids weigh in to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling-point_elevation

Options
    poster said:
    213F

Ah, forgot about the salt, but what about the beans?
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    poster said:
    poster said:
    213F

Ah, forgot about the salt, but what about the beans?
    It said chili! Not stew...
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    That would depend on if you want to go start to finish on the egg or simply finish. I prefer option 2. Have everything cooked and in the cast iron dutch oven and then go uncovered to the egg indirect at a fairly low temp, say 250-275. Don't use fruit woods. I've been partial to pecan lately but a chunk of hickory or a couple of oak would also do. Stir fairly often to distribute the smoke flavor if that's what you're after. Maybe 2-3 hours. It's quite forgiving and just depends how smoky you want. Give us a report.
    Love hickory smoke in my chili.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Yeah I'm not one to diss on hickory. You just have to be careful with it. A little dab'll do you.