Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE _ Great Northern Beans (thirdeye recipe ++)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGE_GreatNorthernBeans_DSCF10038727.jpg
<p /> Doing a batch dutch oven BGE Great Northern beans per a recipe by 'thirdeye' a while back. Added some chopped Hatch and jalapeno pepper and about 1/2 lb chopped brisket point from last month. Those are two Smithfield smoked pork hocks which I did a 2nd smoke on this morning (per thirdeye's advice). Another 3 hours to go at about 250*F but it's smelling pretty darned good! [p] Just finished some skillet cornbread with chopped jalapeno and grated cheddar cheese to go with the beans. This came from Peace, Love and Barbeque _ p10 and looks great. Can't wait for dinner![p]Tom B (EggSport)

Comments

• SkilletCornBread2_DSCF10047760.jpg
    <p /> Here's the skillet cornbread ... pretty easy and should be perfect for the beans.[p]Tom B (EggSport)[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    that looks gooood

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ironbaugh
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    Does look good -- what's the purpose of the platesetter?

• Ironbaugh,[p] Just to even out any hot spots under the dutch oven and 'surround' it with what ever smoke and flavors from the fire. I did not want to 'burn' the uncooked beans covering the bottom.[p]

• Tom B. (EggSport),[p]Looks great! What is Hatch?? I want to do this... Could someone please post the complete recipe? Thanks a lot if possible..[p]Ray Price

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Tom,[p]Looks like a good pot of beans! The twice smoked hocks are really worth the extra time.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Babyrat,
    Here is Thirdeye's web site, not sure if the recipe is amongst his pages. Hatch is a green chili commonly used for mexican green chili, stuffed rellenos etc.Hatch is the city of Hatch, New Mexico which grows most of the chilies.

[ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/[/ul]
  • thirdeye,[p] I could really see and smell the difference after the first hour (2nd smoke) .... I sprinkled some John Henry's 'Lil Shag's - all purpose rub on them at the start. [p] I used some savory and also fresh epazote (I think) per your recent post. The herbs are all pushed together at our local '3 Amigos' market. I asked which one was epazote and took the amigo's word for the choice. What I have looks like the pics on Google, but smells very much like mint. I hope it is the 'real' thing![p] Thanks for some great info on your website![p]Regards,[p]Tom B (EggSport)[p][p]

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),[p]Tom, those beans with the different meats sound and look awfully good. Will probably taste even better than they look. I went through St. George this morning and I thought I could smell them. Enjoy, AZ
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    Tom B (EggSport),[p]I knew I should have called you when I went through town. Can you post the recipe for that wonderful skillet cornbread? Thanks, AZ
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    That looks GREAT! I am going to have to quit reading the forum before I eat! I

• AZ Traveler,[p] I live in Bloomington, just south of St George, up on the hillside a bit and can see a wide swath of I-15 down to the AZ border. Maybe you did smell the beans![p]John Hudgin's Skillet Cornbread "Peace, Love, and Barbeque" p10.

4 T olive oil
    1 1/4 C coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
    3/4 C all-purpose flour
    2 T sugar
    2 T baking powder
    1 t kosher salt, finely ground
    1 C buttermilk or plain yogurt
    1 Lg egg

Preheat oven/cooker to 400*
    Coat 9-inch cast iron skillet with 1T olive oil[p]Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk or yogurt, egg, and the remaining 3T olive oil.
    Combine the wet and dry ingredients until just mixed,[p]Place the oiled skillet in the oven for about 3 minutes or until hot. Don't allow the oil to smoke or burn. Remove the skillet from the oven and pour in the batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.[p]Cut into slices and serve with plenty of butter.
    Serves 4 to 6.[p]Variations: 1/2 to 1 C fried pork cracklings or
    1/2 C crumbled crisp-fried bacon or
    1/4 C drained jalapeno peppers or
    1/2 C grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese
    to the batter.

I used a fresh jalapeno, chopped, and a combo of parmesan and cheddar cheese, grated. It was excellent and just a mild taste of the pepper and cheese. I only have a 12-inch cast iron skillet so the cornbread was much 'shallower' yet still came out very well.[p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Tom B (EggSport),[p]I liked the look of the thinner cornbread. I will make it in the 12" skillet as well. Usually when I make a big pot of beans I will fry up a batch of cornbread. Thanks for the recipe. Will make it soon. AZ
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    epazote.jpg
    <p />Yo Tom B (EggSport),
    I have epazote in my kitchen garden. I love the flavor in beans and simple quesadillas. The image is what the plant looks like. Diana Kennedy in her book "From my Mexican Kithchen" says the genus is now Teloxys, p. 84 and gives a very good description. I have never smelled mint when I pulled the leaves..much stonger..almost a pine tar smell.
    I may lay the seed heads on newspaper & collect seeds if you or third would like some. It can get weedy but not in MT or I guess WY.
    DTM

• DTM,[p] Thanks for the helpful info! No doubt now that my local 'amigo' sold us mint and not epazote. I'll know better for the next time.[p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)[p]

• Tom B. (EggSport),
    Could someone please post this receipe! I could get me a fellow with this, looks good.

• side-dish-senate-bean-soup.html
    <p />Peggy Jean,[p] Try this link ... it is the basis for my post and I stayed very close to the recipe. I did add a fresh chopped Hatch pepper and jalapeno.[p]Good fishing!
  • Peggy Jean,[p]Trying link again!
    [ul][li]Great Northern Bean Soup[/ul]