Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poultry - Low and Slow or 350+?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone. I've been using my BGE to exclusively cook Boston Butt's for a while. The primary reason for that is that I haven't had any success with cooking poultry. I have yet to get that perfect chicken that runs pink and has a deep smokey flavor without getting leathery skin. Any advice?????

Comments

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    "The Gator Griller",
    Are we talking chicken pieces or whole chicken? Brined or unbrined? Are you cooking direct or indirect? What temp are you using?[p]I ususally do whole chickens indirect in the 325-350-375 range. Temp depends on the chicken. I don't like the real big ones. Too much fat. Lately I've been crackin them open, brining and coating with a chile/oil mix and cooking breast side down. Thighs, drumsticks and wings go direct, usually on a raised grid at 275 to 300 till the fat is out of the skin. Frequently coat them with a balsamic pepper sauce mix toward the end, which seems to helps crisp the skin.

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    "The Gator Griller",[p]I recently made a whole chicken that was absolutely amazing. I washed and dried the chicken, and then left it uncovered in the fridge for 3 hours.[p]Mix the following together in the food processor:
    -3 heads of garlic (peeled)
    -EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)- Just enough to make it easier to pulverize the garlic
    -Tsunami Spin (Dizzy Pig)-couple of teaspoons (or your fav rub of choice)
    -Couple of secret ingredients[p]Rub this mixture all over your bird, MASSAGE under the skin on top of the skin... everywhere.[p]We added some apple chips and then cooked indirect at 400° until it's done. I put mine in a v-rack with a drip pan on the plate setter with some chicken stock, I think it would have been even better on a Vertical Chicken Roaster.[p]The chicken was the best I ever had, on or off the egg. The skin was cripsy, the chicken had a nice smokey garlic flavor that was melt in your mouth. The flavor was throughout the bid. I wish I had pics, but we ate it all![p]-Jill