Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg fried wings and roasted rice pyramids

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,537
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
Wings ... Lane's Q-nami rubbed, no fridge drying, no corn starch, 300 raised direct with small fire (less than half FB of lump). Turned several times, came out crispy like deep fried.
Rice pyramids ... first attempt, 50/50 scented/sticky rice cooked in rice cooker. Shaped then seasoned and basted with soy sauce & sesame oil on the surface only. Turned out decent but next time I'll mix rice with seasoning before shaping.

canuckland

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    I could go for that! The rice sounds outstanding. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What's the wing method? Can you explain more?
  • Canugghead
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @slovelad
    I built a small fire by lighting less than half firebox full of lump in two spots (3 and 9 o'clock positions). Place wings on highest notch (not top) of AR (tjv's adjustable rig). Dome temp around 300F, flipped and rotated wings occasionally. Even without air drying the wings in fridge and without corn starch (both common practices used to get crispy skin), the wings came out crispy as fried. IT of wings was north of 180, I cooked till skin fat was well rendered. Hope that helps.
    canuckland
  • MikeInTO
    MikeInTO Posts: 23
    Options
    That all looks amazing! Gonna try that out soon. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Gary you must have read my mind because I have been thinking of EXACTLY these 2 cooks (separately though) for the last week or so!! They look good from here ☺️

I miss the wings off of my drum smoker. I think the height of the grid from the coals is key (about 24" in my drum) and that sounds like what you did by using less lump and cooking higher on the AR. Bookmarked. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking Ashish thanks for explaining it so well, you described the concept better in one sentence than my two lengthy paragraphs  :) 
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking Ashish thanks for explaining it so well, you described the concept better in one sentence than my two lengthy paragraphs  :) 
    I try, man. I try :)

The shorter distance of the grid from the lump is maybe the one beef I have about the BGE. Especially the smaller ones.

What rice seasoning did you use? Furikake? And what did you not like about your method? 

• Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking Yes it's Furikake, I had trouble getting it to stick on the rice, perhaps the surface was too dry. Also it was kind of bland inside, making it smaller would help too I guess. Any tips?
    canuckland
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

sticky rice pyramids seems pretty cool. 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I like it, Gary. I am not a huge wing fan, but I would definitely try yours. The rice pyramids are very interesting as well. Nice cook!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks Faith, good to see you drop in occasionally!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking Yes it's Furikake, I had trouble getting it to stick on the rice, perhaps the surface was too dry. Also it was kind of bland inside, making it smaller would help too I guess. Any tips?
    Sorry it took a while to respond. 

I was going to refer to The Japanese Grill book. @CPARKTX has done these (yaki onigiri) in the past and posted, so hopefully he will chime in. The book has a few variations, which include brushing with soy sauce, red miso and soy, shiso leaves chopped up and mixed in the rice. Also bonito flakes, powdered nori, furikake, and some other things (not all together) mixed into the rice before grilling. I think seasoning the rice with mirin ( like rice for sushi) would not be a bad idea, and for some reason, i want to chop up some anchovies and mix into the rice. With some gochujang... why not go all out?!?

I can share more specific details later on. Feel free to PM. We're off to Whistler for a week or so, but I'll get back to you when we return. 

• caliking
    Options
    Also, some recipes online mention filling the yaki onigiri with different things. Sort of like a samosa, but more rice than filling (unlike a samosa). 

• Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking Thanks, will check them out.
    canuckland
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Hell of a cook!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.