Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Direct

Options
Kjunbob
Kjunbob Posts: 118
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
Today I went to the Ace Hardware that sells Eggs and accessories to purchase an extender to use on my Egg for a "raised direct" Spatchcock that I plan to cook tomorrow.  Unfortunately they were out of stock at this store, and they talked me into the Kamado Joe Flexible Cooking rack which will allow me to raise the grill to about the level of the lip of the egg.  This is a link to what I purchased.  

https://www.bbqguys.com/kamado-joe/flexible-cooking-rack-for-classic-18-inch-grills?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=shopping-campaign&utm_term=2878292&adbr

I am wondering if it will be high enough for "raised direct' or should I go in some other direction?  I asked about Fire Bricks , but they didn't have any.

Thanks
Large Egg.  New Orleans Area

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have no idea what that KJ thing is, but "raised" to me means gasket level. Some guys set three empty beer cans on the fire ring and place the grid on those. Most just buy a Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I just use fire bricks broken in half.  I know I'm a broke redneck  =)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    When I do spatched chicken raised direct I am above the felt line. I have an AR fron CGS that I use. I have heard of using empty beer cans as someone stated to raise the grid above the felt line. 

XL BGE
    MD
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The heat the food gets from direct varies by, um, the inverse square of the distance. In other words, it starts off really intense, and drops off ever faster. So around the gasket level, give or take a fraction of an inch, not as much difference as what the food will get if cooked over a hot spot. Just pay a little attention, it'll be fine.
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    Thanks for the quick comments, but for a cook tomorrow, I can't order anything.  I might just return the thing that bought and use the beer can idea.. or perhaps purchase the bolts and make one like on the NakedWizz site.  Also, I can't locate fire bricks anywhere in my area.  
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Just put less lump in and leave the grid on the fire ring. Same as more lump and a raised grid.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store will raise you up in the dome...a lot of guys use these for raising a stone or CI Skillet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Terra-Cotta-2-499-in-Clay-Red-Corner-Ceramic-Plant-Stand/3030165

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store will raise you up in the dome...a lot of guys use these for raising a stone or CI Skillet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Terra-Cotta-2-499-in-Clay-Red-Corner-Ceramic-Plant-Stand/3030165

Interesting that these Terra-Cotta plant stands will withstand the heat... Do they really work to raise the grill a bit.  

Would just a regular brick work as well?
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Terra cotta is fired at temps far higher than your egg will get. So are regular bricks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I think what you purchased looks very cool. Affordable too. I would put it in and see how high up it gets you, or pull it and a tape measure out if you don't want to get it dirty. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I have the PSWOO from ceramic grill store and it is worth its weight in gold. 
  • Kjunbob
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions..

I will probably get the PSWOO as it looks more versatile than the thing that I bought and return the one that I bought to Ace...

But for today's cook, I am still puzzled... Since Fire Bricks aren't an option... should I try to just get regular bricks or something like the Terra Cotta lifter from Lowes as shown above?  Or should I just put off the raised grill cook that I planned until I get the WOO... I don't want to spend a lot of money on today's cook since I will get the WOO.  
    Thanks
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    I wouldn't ever put off a cook because of lack of preferred equipment. Throw that grate on there and go with it. The egg always surprises me. Easy to get caught up with the extras. I'm guilty too. The cooker just plain Jane by itself is incredible. Might just need to keep a little closer eye on what it is you're cooking. 
    2 Large Eggs    Oklahoma City,OK
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The terra cotta feet won't buy you much (1-1 1/2"). Regular bricks would work, but if they tipped over and broke something, you would not be happy. As I mentioned, empty beer cans would be fine. 

Best method? Buy nothing, add nothing. Just leave the grid on the fire ring, add only enough lump to fill just the firebox (that's raised enough), bring it to 400° and cook your chicken. That's more than enough lump for a short chicken cook.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kjunbob
    Options
    The terra cotta feet won't buy you much (1-1 1/2"). Regular bricks would work, but if they tipped over and broke something, you would not be happy. As I mentioned, empty beer cans would be fine. 

Best method? Buy nothing, add nothing. Just leave the grid on the fire ring, add only enough lump to fill just the firebox (that's raised enough), bring it to 400° and cook your chicken. That's more than enough lump for a short chicken cook.
    I think that you are correct here.  I am probably "over-thinking" it... I will probably just do as you suggest (less lump) and go for it...

I might try the beer can idea but then I'd have to drink the beer... And they might be hard to balance on the fire ring... Plus I wonder if any toxins would come off the beer can from the ink on the outside.
    Thanks
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    hahaha, it would take me half the summer to drink that much beer! Even longer for soft drinks. Lotsa eggers have used lotsa beer cans for this for lotsa years.

Just use less lump, you'll be fine. And yes, you're overthinking. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Kjunbob - If you want to make it less of a balancing act with the empty (key word) beer cans, get a second grid (I use a Weber 17").  Then one grid on the ring cans on that grid and second grid to cook on.  BTW if you go with tall-boys you will be well above the gasket line.  Whatever you do, don't waste the beer.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalSooner
    Options
    @Carolina Q couldn't agree more. Sometimes I think I way over think cooks.  Find that when I just go with it food always turns out better. 

2 Large Eggs    Oklahoma City,OK