Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to defrost / season?

Options
I bought a 2.5 lb Top Round Roast which came frozen and went straight in my freezer. I plan on cooking it on Saturday but I'm wondering when I should move it to the fridge to defrost and when I should season it. I've read I can put it straight on the BGE frozen but I want to put some rub on it and I plan to cook it direct at 450 to brown (a few minutes on each side) and then going indirect (around the same temp) for the remainder. I was thinking to the fridge on Tuesday, season Thursday? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would say  pull and defrost (in refrigerator) Tuesday night before bed or Wednesday morning would be more than adequate for a roast that size.  While you can cook from a frozen state....not optimal in my opinion. Season within 24 hours of cooking. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Better early than late with the beef defrost.  As above with the timing.  If your rub/seasoning has much sugar in it then at that cook temp it will burn.  FYI-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillnTX
    GrillnTX Posts: 65
    Options
    Figure I post some pics after a very successful cook. I'll definitely be doing this one again.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great result-congrats.  Thanks for closing the loop.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.