Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back RIBS

Options
Doing 6 racks on Sunday..3rd time doing them last time did the 2-2-1 method spraying them every hour for the first 2 then double wrapped them in tin foil with butter brown sugar and honey..last hour sauced them every 20 mins or so....I also had a drip pan going with probably a inch or so of apple juice ..cook temp was around 220-250 at the hottest.  I also marinated them with a rub over nite in the fridge.

Now I hate to say it but they were to tender like fall apart ..any suggestions on trying another method.... 

Aslo still trying to find that go to rib BBQ sauce 

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    We all seemingly have different preferences with ribs. I don't spray or use liquid in the drip pan, but I would suggest cutting the time in foil in half. My ratio is closer to 3-1-1 for baby backs. Would be better to zero in on the ratio you prefer, however, when there are not six racks at stake. I hope you'll report back how the cook goes. I'm sure it will be great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Either extended cook time or extended time in foil will take you to the "fall-off-the-bone" outcome.  As above, go lightly (or not at all) on the foil.  I would run nekked for the next cook to bracket the outcome.  Then change one variable with every cook til you arrive at the promised land (which is different for everyone).  So you get to mess around with many rib cooks-all good!  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Strongly agree on cutting the time foiled back.  Many people here like ribs not foiled at all, but many others like them foiled part of the time.  Like @StillH2OEgger said, experiment to find what YOU prefer!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    When i first started, i did the 2-2-1 the 2-1-1-1 .. foiling, water pan, brown sugar, honey, butter - I did it all.

Now, all these years later, I keep it simple. No foil, no water pan, no brown sugar, I layer my rub(s) .. get my egg to temp, put them on, close the dome and come back in 4.5 hours, perfection every single time.

Tim  - 'Keeping it simple since 2012' 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Agree with Tim.  I used to wrap, spritz, foil, marinade, water pan, etc...  I finally just stopped it all.  Now - I layer 3 rubs on the ribs.  Light the egg, get it stabilized, put the on and let them go.  If they are looking a little dark or dry at the 2-2.5 hour mark, I will spritz with a little apple juice/apple cider vinegar. 

My ribs have improved drastically once I stopped all the wrapping, foil, etc and just started to let them ride.
    XL BGE
  • Duker15
    Duker15 Posts: 22
    Options
    whldch said:
    I made 4 racks of baby backs today. No foil, I did spray every hour then painted some sauce on for 20 minutes. I used hot water pan under the he rack. Came out delicious, moist, nice smoke ring. Overall about 5 hrs at 250.
    Wow beautiful ✌️✌️
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Awesome looking ribs. I have to do 4 racks on the 24th and I think I'll just follow @SoCalTim and @SPRIGS advice.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    whldch said:
    I made 4 racks of baby backs today. No foil, I did spray every hour then painted some sauce on for 20 minutes. I used hot water pan under the he rack. Came out delicious, moist, nice smoke ring. Overall about 5 hrs at 250.
    Those look perfect to me. Nice smoke ring, tender but not disintegrating.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • tolip
    tolip Posts: 12
    edited June 2017
    Options
    So I am still new to BGE, in general how many can I fit on the "main" rack of an XL?  And what would you think the MAX I could do, if I bought some sort of extender.....and any suggestion on the extension?

Thanx!  I am used to doing my ribs using a side box, naked.  SO glad I am done with rusted grills.

• whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    The ribs above as you can see were cooked on a Weber rib rack. I could have fit one more rack but they were pretty close together. The XL allowed the full length of the ribs. I don't have any extenders but if I laid them flat I probably could have fit 3 across. I rotated the ribs all ways every hour for even cooking. 
  • tolip
    tolip Posts: 12
    Options
  • Crownvic02
    Options
    I used to wrap and all that too but have learned that the Car Wash Mike method works the best for me. Though I don't use a drop pan. 200-225 spritz with Apple cider/apple juice every hour. Slowly bump up temp and then finish last half hour with sauce. 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Looks awesome! We have a rib cook planned for tomorrow, can't wait