Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any "must do" griddle cooks?

Options
Obviously I'm going to make some smash burgers! 

So tell me, what's your favorite recipes on the griddle?

thanks!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Some kind of Philly Cheese Steak sandwich.
    Fried rice with shrimp is one of my favs as well.
    ....BACON....
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    A simple breakfast of fried eggs, bacon and hash browns works for me besides the standard smash burgers. A panini would be easy as well though I have yet to make them on my BS 17".
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited June 2017
    Options

+1 on Philly Cheese Steak (or Philly cheesechicken) sandwich!

We're only a coupla months in, but some faves are:
     - bacon-fried corn, as a side
     - sliced pineapple for garnish, dessert
     - blackened scallops, blackened [any] fish, blackened chicken
       (Haven't tried blackened steak.  Not sure we will any time soon.)

We've also smoked steaks, chicken, and non-smashed burgers on the Egg
    and then seared on the BStone.

Sunday, will try corned beef hash as part of breakfast. 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    I am still working to do scattered-and-smothered right, but they are still nothing like the ones at Waffle House.  I have tried frozen hash browns, but they seem to still have too much moisture in them.  The bottom tends to burn vs get brown and crisp.
    Raleigh, NC
  • Sardonicus
    Options

And you thought forgetting to burp was painful!

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Pridnjoy said:
    Obviously I'm going to make some smash burgers! 

So tell me, what's your favorite recipes on the griddle?

thanks!

When you can get fresh garden maters....some good thick bacon for BLT's. I think this is a great starter cook.....with little risk. It lets you get a feel for the temperature settings, hot spots etc....and adds to the seasoning of the griddle top. You have been provide some good recommendations above.

Breakfast is a great one to do as it is multi faceted and requires a bit more concentration around cooking times in order to bring it all up at the same time. Example, put your bacon on first and start it at a low heat. Hash browns would need to go on a slightly higher temp....but have a longer cook time than say eggs. When you flip them (HB) for the second side, you might want to use your bacon grease to fry your eggs for sunny side up. I think you develop these skills and confidence with starting out simple. A Philly Cheese is not complicated, but you have to have all of your ingredients ready to go....and proceed in an order. Onions and peppers first....meat and seasoning and them mix the them all...and add / melt the cheese. 

Bottom line, do some single item simple cooks to get started....them move to more complex items. Enjoy the ride.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Fajitas, quesadillas, or my favorite...Fajita quesadillas. 

You gotta do some pancakes too. I don't really even like pancakes but the kids do, and it is very satisfying to walk outside with a bowl of batter and walk in 3-4 minutes later with a big stack of pancakes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Fajitas, quesadillas, or my favorite...Fajita quesadillas. 

You gotta do some pancakes too. I don't really even like pancakes but the kids do, and it is very satisfying to walk outside with a bowl of batter and walk in 3-4 minutes later with a big stack of pancakes. 
    That's the best thing about the BS. Nobody eats cold pancakes. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    shrimp tacos on crisppy flour tortillas
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Breakfast on the Griddle is like going back in time to an old diner and having a great meal! I have done Fajita's on the Griddle and they were awesome. Just cook the Veggies first and throw the steak on later so it isn't overcooked. Fried Rice dinner, pancakes, french toast. Making myself hungry!
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    The hashbrowns they use at waffle hizzy are the dehydrated ones that they rehydrate. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    I love doing stir fry.  The trick is to know how to cook each individual thing well before mixing it together so everyone can get to know each other in the pot.  Here's a quick guide:

Proteins (except tofu, which why the **** are you cooking tofu?): Marinate beforehand and spread out in a single layer on the griddle.  Flip it to the other side to get some nice color then pile it up and put a bowl (seafood probably won't need a bowl.  If doing shrimp don't forget to cut the tails off and flip them in to your hat) on it until it's cooked how you like it.  Shove it off to the side.

Veggies like cabbages, broccoli, carrots, baby corns, snow peas: Pile them up, pour some water on them and cover them with a bowl.  Once they're nice and steamed shove them off to the side.

Veggies like onions, garlic, mushrooms.  Also eggs:  You know what to do, sautee in butter. 

Then mix it all together and pour sauce on it and flip it around and stuff. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt good call on the fajita quesadillas.  We just did those for the first time 2 nights ago and they were a hit!  We have also done a lot of fried rice / stir fry.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Focker said:

If you care about broken egg yolks, some people break them into a saucer, cracking them on the flat part, not the edge, breaking them into the saucer, then pouring the saucer into whatever they're going to cook them on.  It's an extra step, and probably like you, I don't do it because I don't care that much if a yolk breaks, but just in case, I've heard this works really well in case you do care about the yolks breaking.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Onion volcano! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of bacon, but I do like to have bacon grease on hand. The Blackstone (even my 17" one) will fry up a whole pound of it and makes it easy to salvage the grease (though I need to find a silicone squeegee =)). No mess in the kitchen either.

I don't like to mess with frying a couple of slices for breakfast, but when I do the whole package, I can bag it in the fridge for quite a while. Or better yet, freeze the already fried bacon. Either way, the microwave does a wonderful job of reheating.

Also, hash browns, smashburgers, salmon, burnt tomatoes, burnt carrots or fried rice. If you're not familiar with the "burnt" stuff, courtesy of Francis Mallmann, you should give them a try. Especially the tomatoes, even the dead of winter cheapo plum tomatoes from the grocery store are delicious! 

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1999723_1999721_1999711,00.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Focker said:

If you care about broken egg yolks, some people break them into a saucer, cracking them on the flat part, not the edge, breaking them into the saucer, then pouring the saucer into whatever they're going to cook them on.  It's an extra step, and probably like you, I don't do it because I don't care that much if a yolk breaks, but just in case, I've heard this works really well in case you do care about the yolks breaking.
    Thanks for the tip, those were broken intentionally, ordered up by the youngest nephew who did not want "dunky"aka overeasy eggs.

I try not break, and have a good system in place using a flat surface to break, silicone rings, and old Flint Ekco spatulas.  But if they do, I too, am in the care less camp.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of bacon, but I do like to have bacon grease on hand. The Blackstone (even my 17" one) will fry up a whole pound of it and makes it easy to salvage the grease (though I need to find a silicone squeegee =)). No mess in the kitchen either.

I don't like to mess with frying a couple of slices for breakfast, but when I do the whole package, I can bag it in the fridge for quite a while. Or better yet, freeze the already fried bacon. Either way, the microwave does a wonderful job of reheating.

Also, hash browns, smashburgers, salmon, burnt tomatoes, burnt carrots or fried rice. If you're not familiar with the "burnt" stuff, courtesy of Francis Mallmann, you should give them a try. Especially the tomatoes, even the dead of winter cheapo plum tomatoes from the grocery store are delicious! 

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1999723_1999721_1999711,00.html
    The BS is worth it alone, for bacon and eggs.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Sardonicus
    Options
    Focker said:

Those first three pics are among the best non-pro food photos that I've seen in quite a while!  You're good.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Focker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Focker said:

Those first three pics are among the best non-pro food photos that I've seen in quite a while!  You're good.

Thanks for the kind words, 
    But it aint me, these Blackstones are so user friendly, they make just about anything you put on them shine. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Sardonicus
    edited June 2017
    Options

@JohnnyTarheel
    Uh . . . ditto.
     :s 

• Focker
    Options

Uh . . . ditto.
     :s 

So does this mean I have reached "Pro-Tip" thread posting status?  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Focker said:

@Sardonicus - see the jimmy johns wrapper under picture #2.  @Focker
     doesn't even own a blackstone 

Seriously Focker - nice pics.  For some reason I've gotten out of the habit lately

Phoenix 
  • Sardonicus
    edited June 2017
    Options

Omigosh!  That focker!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Pretty much everything most people are doing on their griddles they can do on their stove (and some CI).  What can't you do without a world of regret in your kitchen?  Cook something that generates a helluvalotta smoke and sets off the wife and smoke detectors.  That's what you should do.  Especially if it's delicious and you avoid sleeping on the couch for a week.

So get some good blackened seasoning and experiment with any protein, generating copious amounts of toxic smoke akin to WW1 mustard gas with the ability to run away with minimal coughing from your Blackstone.  In other words, cook with impunity.

What cut of steak do you guys use for phillies?  And how do you prepare it, slicing etc?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    What cut of steak do you guys use for phillies?  And how do you prepare it, slicing etc?
    I prefer thinly sliced ribeye.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site