Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Sleep Apnea

Options

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Like I said I have been doing this since 1992 and I have used lots of different masks over the years as technology has improved. My favorite is the Resmed Swift FX. Light and comfortable and interferes with my sleep less than any mask I have used in the past.

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-FX-System-Retail-61500/dp/B01IFMECWG/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496499777&sr=8-5&keywords=nasal+pillows+for+cpap
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Once again, my sincere thanks to all for the encouraging and informative comments!  Never thought there would be so many responses!  Now I'm actually looking forward to my appointment  next Friday when I'll get to bring a cpap kit home!!~~
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I used the swift for quite a while.  Just changed to the Dreamweaver https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dreamwear-gel-nasal-pillow-cpap-mask-fit-pack.html  where the hose comes out of the top and allows better ability to sleep on ones side.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• BGEATLMN
    BGEATLMN Posts: 2
    Options
    CPAP saved my life.  
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I do not go a night without using mine too. It travels with me as well. On my second machine after 7 years. I love the nose pillow plugs. The full mask was not near as comfortable. I sleep now and NEVER snore...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    ALegume said:
    Me too.  14 years, and probably waited at least 14 longer than I should've.  Game changer for me, won't sleep without it.  Personally, I hate the humidifier, but that's me.  Try all of the options and masks and work out what's best for you.  Sucks to have to use it, but sucks much worse to not use it.
    I imagine the humidifier depends on where you live.  It is winter here 7 months of the year and it is dry as hell. 
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Zaltydog said:
    @calracefan which mask are you using? I have been doing cpap for 11 years. Wanting to try a nasal mask.
    I find humidification and a heated hose during colder months a must have. Hose management and the mask interface are the key elements to making the thing work. It is well worth the effort.

I use a ResMed Airfit P10, it's a nasal pillow mask , very small and light weight ! It is supplied by a ResMed Airsense 10 with a humidifier . I have never had a heated hose !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Wrong forum

I have been using a CPAP for just under a year and it has been great.  Snoring is gone and I feel much better.  I was diagnosis with mild Apnea and it still made a difference.   I went from full mask to nasal pillow as I needed to train myself to breath through my nose all night.  Took about a month but never looked back since.   Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I think I know the answer to this but can you sleep on your stomach?  See I can ONLY fall asleep on my stomach, head turned to the left. Sounds weird I know but I can lay on my back for hours, turn over and fall asleep in minutes. 

I have never had a sleep study but given my wife complains that I stop breathing during the night, especially if I roll onto my back (I can sleep on my back, I just can't FALL asleep), and given my Dad did the same thing and died of a heart attack at 66, and that I'm about 80 lbs overweight there's a good chance I am a candidate. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    gmac said:
    I think I know the answer to this but can you sleep on your stomach?  See I can ONLY fall asleep on my stomach, head turned to the left. Sounds weird I know but I can lay on my back for hours, turn over and fall asleep in minutes. 

I have never had a sleep study but given my wife complains that I stop breathing during the night, especially if I roll onto my back (I can sleep on my back, I just can't FALL asleep), and given my Dad did the same thing and died of a heart attack at 66, and that I'm about 80 lbs overweight there's a good chance I am a candidate. 
    Get tested.  You might be able to sleep on your back with the machine.  I do not sleep on my stomach, but I bought a memory foam pillow which is a lot more stiff.  With it I find I can easily sleep on my side because the pillow does not squish into the mask like my old pillows did.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Stomach sleeping and untreated apnea go hand in hand because it is a compensation adaptation.
    I still often find myself sleeping on my stomach, even with APAP, but it does often cause mask dislocation or noise due to exit air venting into the pillow or covers. Finding the right mask, pillow, and hose placement for each individual is the key.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    gmac said:

I too am a stomach sleeper.  It takes some adjustment to get used to what works but for me it's the Resmed Fx Swift nasal pillow mask and some strategically placed pillows.  Have to keep the elastic strap tight but comfortable to prevent leaks.  Waiting on a cpap pillow to arrive to see if that helps with the pillow situation.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    If you wear the cpap stuff like I do and the power goes out rest assured that you won't sleep well that night. Woke up at 1:45am last night because I couldn't breath and found the power out. Up most of the night with some off and on sleeping. Wife said I was snoring so I know I slept a little anyway.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Buy an inverter that has battery post clips and keep a small lawnmower battery around, you're good for at least 3 nights like that, probably more.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    The other side of a CPAP. My loving wife Ernestina has been stuck in mentalpaws for what seems to be the last decade. She has "power surges", aka hot flashes, pretty consistent. Couple the hot flash/sweats with the CPAP mask and this makes for a ton of leaks. Compounding this she is often a very sound sleeper...sadly I am a very light sleeper....who once awake gets stressed out and can't fall back asleep. I haven't slept thru the night in at least 13 days now. We don't have a second bed room so.....more than once I went and spent the night in a vehicle...it is almost impossible for me to sleep next to a leaking air compressor. Been running on 2-2.5 hours of sleep. Not a problem when one is young but when one is in his 50's, has several mental health issues, no lumbar discs left and is riddled with arthritis it is a recipe for disaster. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Went for my 3rd sleep study last night.  This time they put the mask on.   I fell asleep right away, and woke 6 1/2 hrs later in the exact same spot.  Normally I sleep 2-3, and toss and turn all over the place.

Now I just have to wait 2 weeks to get my own set up.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

Phoenix 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    The other side of a CPAP. My loving wife Ernestina has been stuck in mentalpaws for what seems to be the last decade. She has "power surges", aka hot flashes, pretty consistent. Couple the hot flash/sweats with the CPAP mask and this makes for a ton of leaks. Compounding this she is often a very sound sleeper...sadly I am a very light sleeper....who once awake gets stressed out and can't fall back asleep. I haven't slept thru the night in at least 13 days now. We don't have a second bed room so.....more than once I went and spent the night in a vehicle...it is almost impossible for me to sleep next to a leaking air compressor. Been running on 2-2.5 hours of sleep. Not a problem when one is young but when one is in his 50's, has several mental health issues, no lumbar discs left and is riddled with arthritis it is a recipe for disaster. 
    It's the mental health comment that intrigues me. Since I'm sort of "off" too.  Does that impact sleep?

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    @blasting Hope it works out for you!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good travel machine.   Love mine but doing alot of flying lately and it takes up alot of room
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    kdink said:
    Does anyone know of a good travel machine.   Love mine but doing alot of flying lately and it takes up alot of room
    @kdink Resmed just came out with a smaller travel unit, not sure on the model...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have had almost every  mask. Got the very small one now and it all sits in the closet. After reading this I guess I need to get it down and go back to it. 
    Damn I hate that thing. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @RedSkip it is called an Air mini and is not worth the money.  2 big issues when the rep came into show us these. 1 you have to use an F20 N20 or P10 mask, because they sell a tubing  adapter kit only for these 3.  2 there is no humidifier with these, they use an HME which is good for 30days.   Everything we looked at equaled more money for our patients and with the lack of ability to use the make they love we can not recommend these.  There is a decent unit out called the Z1 it's around 549,it lets you use your own mask, but again no humidifier.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @ryantt. Can you explain HME?  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have it, I am only 32 years old and not overweight. 

Wife said i talk in my sleep, sleepwalk, snore, stop breathing, etc. went for the study, pretty bad sleep apnea. I now have a BiPap machine and an airfit p10 nasal pillow setup for the last two years. If I miss a night for whatever reason, I feel like a zombie the next day. I dont get headaches anymore either. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ryantt
    Options
    @RedSkip an HME is a  heat and moisture exchanger.  It basically is supposed to pull the moisture out of the exhaled air and then pass the fresh air  through it, which in  theory adds moisture back in.  We generically call them an HME or an artificial nose 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    kdink said:
    Here's my travel unit. I use the same hose/pillow as my home unit. Fits in the corner of a carry on bag just fine.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    I just got my second machine after the first one died after 4-5 years and had a 5 week wait for my appt.  Those 5 weeks were terrible.  I'm glad for the new machine and features, it is a ResMed Air Sense 10.  The best new feature is when you exhale it drops the pressure making it easier to exhale.  My old machine didn't have that feature and made it terribly hard for me to fall asleep with the mask on at times.  

As for masks, the Resmed P10 nasal pillows is nice, but you'll probably go through a few before finding the right one.

My wife has an appt with the DME to get her's in a few days.  She never believed she snored and kept wondering why she's always tired and never wakes up feeling good.  

Best of luck with it!

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    The pressure drop on exhale machines are called a bipap. Mine goes to 16 when i inhale, drops to 8(i think) when i exhale. Best thing ever!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ryantt
    Options
    @milesvdustin I believe he is talking about ERP which allows for a drop of 1-3cmH2O depending on exploratory effort.  

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Just came home with a Phillips Respironics unit.  I asked if they'd throw in  a deal on an air fryer but my humor wasn't appreciated (or perhaps understood).
    Anyhow, more in a day or two.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....