Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Assisted Band Retainer Clips

Options
Hi Guys. 

The Chicken Ranch is sold and will just be called 'Home' to the new owners. Yes, the same for The Coop. It will likely just be called 'The Gazebo.' 

Meanwhile, as we pack up to leave I ran into a problem taking my Large Egg's domes off for both packing and for repainting the bands. 

The plastic clips that used to easily slip onto the Spring Assisted Band mechanism no longer fit. They are off by as much as 3/8" and no amount of trying, including loosening the band nuts, makes any difference. 

I even tried using some large channel-lock pliers to see if I could squeeze the bolt heads closer together. Didn't work either. 

Any ideas how I can get the clips to work? 

Thanks. 

Spring "My Head Ain't On Right" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    I don't think they ever fit again after removing them the first time. Just zip tie them. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Mine don't fit either.  Zip tie or I have removed the springs a few times.  Might make it easier to paint...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You'll have to loosen the bands and put a crescent wrench on the top flat part of the hinge and slightly pick up.  This will move the bolts back where they need to be to install the retainer clips. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    You'll have to loosen the bands and put a crescent wrench on the top flat part of the hinge and slightly pick up.  This will move the bolts back where they need to be to install the retainer clips. 
    Thanks.  I knew someone would have an answer.  I still have my crescent wrench out but I already packed my zip ties.

Spring "Most Answers Are Just A Question Away" Chicken

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Leroy congrats on selling the CR so fast, I have always just used zip ties had to do it yesterday. On a side note the new BGE band assembly the springs can be easily removed with no tools and no need for zip ties.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thanks Jim.  I must be getting old because I'm starting to follow the old directions instead of creating some new ones on my own. LOL  I may need to change my springs too.  The dome is getting heavier or the springs are wearing out, because it doesn't want to stay up. ----  I can't believe I said that!

Spring "Pointed In The Wrong  Direction" Chicken

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Thanks Jim.  I must be getting old because I'm starting to follow the old directions instead of creating some new ones on my own. LOL  I may need to change my springs too.  The dome is getting heavier or the springs are wearing out, because it doesn't want to stay up. ----  I can't believe I said that!

Spring "Pointed In The Wrong  Direction" Chicken

Yep I know what mean! Old Age! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer