Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Convince me to pull the trigger on a mini max

Options
I started my Kamado journey with a medium BGE, ran out of room and upgraded to a Kamado Joe Classic.

My friend has a mini egg that he brings to work when we do cookouts, its cute but almost useless. I really have an itch to get a mini max so I can do some mobile egging, but part of me thinks that dumping $600+ dollars on a 13 inch cooker is silly.  For that kind of money I could get an akorn JR or a sweet weber kettle setup and still have money to buy a decent used large egg.

You guys are great telling people how they are wrong. So GO!
Kansas City, Kansas
Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you not to do it, rather maybe you should consider the small instead...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you not to do it, rather maybe you should consider the small instead...
    But the mini max is bigger than the small, and the portability is way better....
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    But the mini max is bigger than the small, and the portability is way better....
    What information have you found that told you the Mini Max is bigger than than the Small BGE? And if it was bigger, why would that make it more portable?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Both have a 13" cooking grid.  They weigh about the same.  The mini max is shorter and has that nice carrier.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Medium is the smallest I'll go.  Camped cooking isn't enjoyable for me.  I had a small (same grid as MM) and I didn't care for it.

Also, when I travel with a grill, it's a weber kettle - not expensive ceramics.

This is just my preference, a lot of guys here produce great results off the MM.
    Phoenix 
  • tenpenny_05
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The BGE website says they are the same grid diameter. Sorry, not bigger. 

As far as portability goes, the MM has the built in handles and weighs less than the small.

Unless I'm missing something? Can the Small fit upright in the trunk of a car without risk of tipping over?
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @tenpenny_05, minimax accompanies us to mountains, beach, and tailgate parties.  This is a mm venture to mexico two years ago.... Plus intook to a buddys house to make pizza on super bowl sunday.....it is very capable and will augment an exsisting bge, and if you get cgs woo you actually have two levels to cook on.  Very awesome setup.  Get one and youll never look back.....
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    MMX is great, the only drawback for me in the UK is that CGS stuff isn't readily available. I got the platesetter, which is a waste of space, so a CGS rig would be useful.

I don't think you can make a proper financial justification, just buy it.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

As far as portability goes, the MM has the built in handles and weighs less than the small.

Unless I'm missing something? Can the Small fit upright in the trunk of a car without risk of tipping over?
    You save 4 pounds (76 vs 80).  The mini max portability advantage comes from the squat dimensions and the carrying handles.  Yes the small is at risk of tipping over unless you design something to hold it in place.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2017
    Options

tenpenny_05 said:

I said the small and MM had the same grid - not sure I understand your comment.  Small and MM =13"  Medium =15.75".

My second point was to how careful you have to be with transporting ceramics of any size.  Certainly the MM will transport better than the other sizes, but you'll still be cringing at every hard stop or pothole.

If you do it, enjoy - lots of folks do what you're contemplating.  
    Phoenix 
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    Sorry @blasting that was a response to photo egg. I had the medium and love it. But like others have said, the benefit of the MM is the low center of gravity which makes traveling a bit less cringy.
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The MM weighs only 4 pounds less than the small. 76 vs 80.

The mini, BTW, is a great little cooker for 1 or 2 people. Wish I still had mine.

But if you want a travel cooker, consider a Smokey Joe (14") or a Jumbo Joe (18"). Light weight, cheap and good.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    edited May 2017
    Options

We would have no idea how much space you have in your trunk. But if I was traveling with an Egg, I would have enough stuff packed around the Egg that it would not tip over. I have taken my Small and Mini with me in the past. In both my Explorer and my little Subaru Outback.
    I also made a portable carrier/table to hold them. The legs pull out and it makes it very portable. Many on this forum have similar holders that are very compact and much sturdier than the Mini Max handle carrier. But yes, the MM  base is shorter than the Small BGE by a few inches and they use the same dome. And yes, I do have the BGE feet that go between the Small Egg and the wood.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Get the Akron Jr. and save some cash and a backache. No worries about breaking ceramics and it'll cool down faster. I doubt you're going to be doing many low and slows on this grill. The Akron will cook standard tailgating/camping food just fine. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Sorry @blasting that was a response to photo egg. I had the medium and love it. But like others have said, the benefit of the MM is the low center of gravity which makes traveling a bit less cringy.
    Photo egg was only questioning your post about MM being larger than the Small BGE.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    All the cool kids have one, myself included. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    I want one as well. 
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    It seems peculiar to me that somebody "on a ledge" will ask a group of people to talk him down when the people he's asking are on the same ledge with him.  I say take the plunge because it sounds to me that you've already made up your mind.
    Flint, Michigan
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Look on Craigslist for. Used mini. I have one and love it. I actually got luck and bought one new in the box from a lady that won it on a henikin promotion for $180 with limo and tools lol
  • dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Options
    I bought one for smaller cooks but find that I just cook twice as much.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Go for it, it's only money anyways. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Since you already have a classic- have you considered a Jr? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have one and love it, goes great with my large. I use it when I cook for two or 3 and it travels well. It has goes on vacation with us, to the beach, tailgating etc. There are other good options but if money is no object go for it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Fired up the MMX at tea time for the boys and had the first dozen sausages off it half an hour from ignition. Did a dozen more then put some bone in chicken on low with a bit of smoke. It's great for getting up and running quickly.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Too be completely honest I'd rather take my Weber Jumbo Joe tailgating over my small or mini. I use my Weber Jumbo Joe weekly tailgating during the summer/fall. I don't need to worry about anything cracking/breaking during transport, I can lift it out of my truck bed with two fingers, cools down within minutes after coals are removed, and I'm only out $30 if someone steals it. Personally I'd buy something cheap and light to travel with. Save the extra cash for another egg that doesn't need to be portable. Just my personal opinion
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

This saying always worked on me (kind of still does)

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    If you need to be convinced, then pass on it.  Or talk w Centex, and he'll talk you out of it for sure!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @mickey for the win. That is badass! Nice work!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle