Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's meatloaf. They just keep getting better.

Options
2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That's pretty impressive. Makes some damned expensive slaw though.
    And one of many reasons it is my most favorite tool in the kitchen lab, hands down.

Bagged slaw prices are a joke.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    First time I tried to make slaw in the Vitamix I wound up with a cabbage smoothie. Pretty nasty stuff. It works fine if you use lots of water and just gently pulse it though.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Okay, I ran home at lunch to mix it up.  Figuring it could use a couple hours to set up in the fridge since it's not cooking in a pan.   One question...

Do you flip it / rotate it?

I'm thinking this is one of those things you put on and leave it where it lies.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Okay, I ran home at lunch to mix it up.  Figuring it could use a couple hours to set up in the fridge since it's not cooking in a pan.   One question...

I put mine on, closed the lid and never looked at it or moved it again until I opened the lid to put on the glaze. Then same thing, closed it and did not open or move anything until it hit 160, when I took the meatloaf off.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

I put mine directly on the grid (not in a loaf pan) with a drip pan below (on platesetter with air gap). No flip, no nothin'.                   

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• epcotisbest
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

I put mine directly on the grid (not in a loaf pan) with a drip pan below (on platesetter with air gap). No flip, no nothin'.                   
    Yeah, on the grid with drip pan under the grid. I have cooked them directly in a pan as well, and that works too, they just sit there in their own drippings and don't seem to taste as charred as when they are cooked on the grid over a drip pan. More juicy in the pan though, so it is a trade off.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Here is one cooked in the pan. It was good too.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Focker said:
    Cold and hot are both equally good.

With cold here, mayo is a staple, Boetje's coarse ground mustard too.  Lettuce, tomato, ernyin, wouldn't hurt.  An herb based aoili wouldn't suck....many options. 

Hot is heating in CI or CS pan or griddle, nice sear medium heat, could even top with any preferred melting cheese, bacon.  Toast the bread, buns.  Add the fixins you prefer.

There really is no favorite way, it's all good IMO.
    cold. with ketchup. never had a reheated sammich. or one with Brandon's kitchen sink approach. :rofl:
    It all sounds GOOD -- will have to try several ways!  

Thanks!
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    +1 on the cold meatloaf sandwich.  Not sure why they're so good, but it just works
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• epcotisbest
    Options
    BJM2932 said:
    +1 on the cold meatloaf sandwich.  Not sure why they're so good, but it just works
    The very best, to me, is a cold meatloaf sandwich, white bread, lots of mayo and freshly sliced home grown tomato on it. Gonna do that just as soon as he tomatoes ripen, usually around the first part of July around here.
  • Brandongodfrey
    Options
    Looks awesome , I think I will make one next week !
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    This thread has got me thinking I need to do meatloaf again :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    This thread has got me thinking I need to do meatloaf again :-)
    Post some pics when you do.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Good stuff!  Thanks for the tip.

Cooked this two pounder at 350 raised indirect.  Hit 160 at about an hour.  While it wasn't charred on the outside, it was excellent.  Once you sliced it a crust was more apparent than in the photo.  Will definitely make it again.  Great midweek cook. 

Thanks for the motivation, @epcotisbest.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Good stuff!  Thanks for the tip.

Cooked this two pounder at 350 raised indirect.  Hit 160 at about an hour.  While it wasn't charred on the outside, it was excellent.  Once you sliced it a crust was more apparent than in the photo.  Will definitely make it again.  Great midweek cook. 

Thanks for the motivation, @epcotisbest.
    Looks great. Thanks for sharing the photos. Nice smoke ring on that meatloaf.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Oh and the meatloaf sammies are even better. Nice job.
    A shameful confession, perhaps:  I've never made a meatloaf sandwich!  <gasp>  I just love meatloaf so much reheated and eaten the way I ate it the first time that I've never really thought about a sandwich.  How do you make them?  Do you heat it up again, or is it cold?  @Florida Grillin Girl posted a wonderful-looking recipe, and said her way of making the sandwich was with melted cheddar, crispy onions, and some more of the glaze she put on top of the meatloaf, so I'm assuming she must heat the meatloaf.

What are your favorite ways to make meatloaf sandwiches?
    Keep it simple. I like a nice crusty hoagie myself.....some mayo (Dukes of course) and cheddar cheese. I do heat mine in a skillet most of the time, where I melt my cheese after the flip. I normally don't go to the trouble of slicing maters (unless summer garden variety).....or lettuce. These are good additions...but delay the goodness of getting the sammie to the taste buds. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I do the same as the Hippie said, minus the mayo.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio