Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First turbo butt night

Options
first go at a turbo butt. Went for 6 hours at 325-350.

Pulled at 205 and it still wasn't ready so I chopped it. Added a little vinegar sauce and some smoked sausage and cole slaw.

Not sure if turbo butts just don't get as tender or I had a weird piece of meat not letting loose even though it was 205.

It was okay. I prefer low and slow.

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I like turbo.

Looking for 205 is a good indicator to start probing the butt, but unless it "probes like buttah" all over and the bone has a loose wiggle, it's not done and I'll let it ride a bit more. When I pull it from the heat, I like to FTC it for about an hour or two before I pull it apart. 

Every butt I've ever cooked, low and slow or turbo, has been finished on its own time.

This said, your butt looks great! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    How many pounds was that butt?
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    How many pounds was that butt?
    It was around 7

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like turbo as well
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I did a 7 pounder a few days last Sunday at 350. Got in the 190's in 5 1/2 hours. FTC'd (foiled, towel, cooler) for 2 hours and it turned out really well.

I've turbo'd the last few butts I've done - ribs too. Low and Slow is fun to show off for guests but overall, with the Egg, it is not neccessary IMHO. 
    New Albany, Ohio