Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band for L BGE installed

Options
Got my warranty replacement band in at my dealer on Saturday and managed to install it on Sunday between rainstorms. Easy install. Never had to take the lid off, just undid the bolts on the old one and slid it over the top and then did the opposite to install the new one. It took me about 10 minutes to put the rings together in the house and then maybe 20 minutes outside removing the old one and putting the new one on. Everything aligned perfectly so I felt obligated to try it out and cook Sunday afternoon. Nice to have things working again! 
EggMcMcc
Central Illinois
First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017

Comments

• MemRubes
    MemRubes Posts: 36
    Options
    I had the exact same experience with mine. I love the new bands. No more under bite and no gap. Enjoy!
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Yeah, I had developed a side-bite! My hinge locked up and wouldn't open/close, but I lubed it and then it worked, but it bent the hinge in the process so it was skewed sideways and had a gap. I could minimize the gap but never quite got rid of it.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Say if a guy wanted to run without a gasket using the new band do you feel that the bands can be adjusted so that the planes of the dome and base will meet without an issue?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There are several guys like @Mickey that are running no gasket on the old style bands.  What's your point with new bands no gasket? Just curious and not trying to ruffle your tail feathers 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    There are several guys like @Mickey that are running no gasket on the old style bands.  What's your point with new bands no gasket? Just curious and not trying to ruffle your tail feathers 
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. Last night there was an inquiry posted here asking if the new band could be used with a single Rutland or a double layer of Nomex. I was just expanding the evaluation asking if the new band was adjustable so as to go without any gasket if someone was so inclined. No feathers ruffled! 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sorry I wasn't more clear. Last night there was an inquiry posted here asking if the new band could be used with a single Rutland or a double layer of Nomex. I was just expanding the evaluation asking if the new band was adjustable so as to go without any gasket if someone was so inclined. No feathers ruffled! 
    Besides...my wife had @EggMcMicas a student years ago plus I know his Father. I just felt asking him assured me that he would give an honest evaluation of the adjustability of the new band. OK? 
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    @RRP I can give you an honest 'maybe, I thing so, I am not sure'. If you are going to be on my side of the river give me a shout and come visit. Perhaps you can better assess it in person. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    @RRP

Ron, I put the new bands on my old egg yesterday.  the egg has virtually no gasket.  First attempt, there was an 1/8" gap in the back, front and sides sealed ok.  One of the keys to the new bands is how they can be adjusted for such gaps and over/under bites.  

With a little wiggling I was able to get the dome/base to seat reasonably well, see pic below. The bands run up against the little ledge around the top (dome) bottom (base), so no way to push the dome far enough down to make a complete seal.  One run of Nomex gasket on top or bottom, (don't need both) should make a good seal.  Rutland would be one run for sure.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Can you make a warranty claim for new bands, when there really isn't too much wrong with the old bands other than not being able to line up the top and bottom?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    Options
    Can you make a warranty claim for new bands, when there really isn't too much wrong with the old bands other than not being able to line up the top and bottom?
    I tried and Bruce recommended how should go about lining it up better, but I haven't had a chance to try it. 
  • RRP
    Options
    tjv said:
    @RRP

Ron, I put the new bands on my old egg yesterday.  the egg has virtually no gasket.  First attempt, there was an 1/8" gap in the back, front and sides sealed ok.  One of the keys to the new bands is how they can be adjusted for such gaps and over/under bites.  

With a little wiggling I was able to get the dome/base to seat reasonably well, see pic below. The bands run up against the little ledge around the top (dome) bottom (base), so no way to push the dome far enough down to make a complete seal.  One run of Nomex gasket on top or bottom, (don't need both) should make a good seal.  Rutland would be one run for sure.  

Thank you, Tom! Coming from you with not only your reputation as a supplier of proven after purchase improvement items plus as a BGE dealer your eggperiece says a lot! No offense meant toward you @EggMcMic
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    newby84 said:
    I tried and Bruce recommended how should go about lining it up better, but I haven't had a chance to try it. 
    Mine were replaced under warranty. Not sure if BGE or my dealer (Ace) was the one that actually honored it. But my LGBE is only 6 months old and hasn't been right for most of that time.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    newby84 said:
    Mine were replaced under warranty. Not sure if BGE or my dealer (Ace) was the one that actually honored it. But my LGBE is only 6 months old and hasn't been right for most of that time.
    Same thing here purchased it at Ace and went back there after I noticed the  alignment issue and they had no idea what I was talking about. I emailed Bruce with a picture, he responded to me wanting my address and a week later it was on my door step, no questions about receipt or anything.
    O-Town, FL