Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking baby backs

Options
they say about 1.5 hours per lb, correct?  
St. Louis, MO 

Family, Cardinals, Blues, Mizzou, Music, Grateful Dead, Phish

Comments

• bodiac
    bodiac Posts: 7
    Options
    I just recently started doing turbo cooks for my ribs.  You'll be eating ribs in less than 2 hours.  Some good posts on here reference turbo ribs. Good luck brother.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Should be interesting.  I don't recall ever seeing rib cooking times based on weight.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• cprew11
    cprew11 Posts: 45
    Options
    Should be interesting.  I don't recall ever seeing rib cooking times based on weight.

I just figured because is was pork. I'll know when they are done, I've smoked ribs plenty on the Weber bullet. This is round 2 on the egg. My first batch weren't great. 

St. Louis, MO 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    At 250 it should always be in the ballpark of 5-6 hours, depending on type of ribs.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    cprew11 said:

I just figured because is was pork. I'll know when they are done, I've smoked ribs plenty on the Weber bullet. This is round 2 on the egg. My first batch weren't great. 

Cooking times depend on the thickness of the meat.  Weight is used as a surrogate for this for roundish thick cuts.  The thickness of ribs doesn't vary significantly for estimating cooking times.  Cooking time will not change significantly wether you cook one rack or five.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    As above, the key is the tooth-pick test.  No resistance in the thick meat and you are there.  250-260*F on the calibrated dome and you are in the time-frame above.  Within reason you cannot truly overcook BB's on the BGE-you may have been aiming for some "pull off the bone" and if you go too far you will get "fall off the bone" but great regardless.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cprew11
    Options
    Thanks dudes. Go Blues!!
    St. Louis, MO 

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    bodiac said:
    I just recently started doing turbo cooks for my ribs.  You'll be eating ribs in less than 2 hours.  Some good posts on here reference turbo ribs. Good luck brother.
    This. Turbo ribs any night of the week. One hour to dry-brine, rub, and get the egg up to a steady 350, just under 2 hours until toothpick ready. 
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The key for me has been to wrap in foil at one point during the cook for about 45 minutes with a few tablespoons of liquid (cider vinegar or apple juice).

I usually go for 2-3 hours indirect @ 250F, 45 minutes wrapped in foil and 30-60 indirect without foil.

Good luck!

Options
    really depends more on the temp you cook at 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    cprew11 said:
    they say about 1.5 hours per lb, correct?  
    I go about 3.5 - 4 naked, bones down til they pass the toothpick test. In and out like butter, done. Lots of ways to get there though. Pick one and go. 
  • cprew11
    Options
    I find all of the different opinions/methods intriguing. Obviously there is no right way. I'm at 4 hours 20 minutes at a steady 250, no foil.  About to do the toothpick test. Will report back. 
    St. Louis, MO 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    @cprew11- quite to the contrary-what you have been exposed to is "there are many right answers" and you just need to go with one and if it doesn't meet your desires go with another.   The BGE is not a digital operation.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Once you figure how you prefer your ribs (taste, texture, etc.) you can start narrowing down a preference and then fine tune from there. The only way to really ruin ribs is to undercook them, or torch beyond recognition.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Principalchef
    Options
    2nd try at ribs today. 90 minutes at 300, then 90 minutes covered in foil with some apple cider. I let it sit and steam for another 45 minutes.  Going without the steam next time. Great taste, but falling off the bone a little too much. 
    Love cooking on my XL BGE for 2, 12, or 100!
    www.principalchef.com

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @cprew11- quite to the contrary-what you have been exposed to is "there are many right answers" and you just need to go with one and if it doesn't meet your desires go with another.   The BGE is not a digital operation.  
    Agreed.  Many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is the same. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.