Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to carve a brisket. WTH?

Options
GrillSgt
GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    LOL, doesn't know how to spell either. It is WHOLLY.
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    This is how I do my brisket, I try to scrape off all the good parts (mostly because I hate myself) then I chuck the remainder in the garbage and order pizza!

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I know things are slow but I wasn't expecting reruns this early in the Egging season.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    I never eat brisket.  It's a cheap cut of meat, but the long cook time affords me plenty of beer-drinking, self-reflection time.  Isn't that what everyone does?  Isn't that why Franklins purposely runs out of brisket, forces there to be a line, provides chairs, etc?  I thought that was just the cost of therapy?
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    How do I do this if I'm facing East?  Will my top plate still be north south?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    How do I do this if I'm facing East?  Will my top plate still be north south?
    If you are below the equator. 

Little Rock, AR

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    He calls his point the top plate lol
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    How did he get it so black when everyone knows you boil brisket. That just looks off. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    That was hard to watch.
    Toronto ON
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    gmac said:
    How did he get it so black when everyone knows you boil brisket. That just looks off. 
    I LOVE BLANCHED BRISKET!!! around the pirate household we call that a Double B dinner!!! once tried to boil the water on my neighbor's egg couldn't do it seems impossible.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Every time I see those videos, I get pissed off. Just because you have a restaurant and a grill, does not mean you are a pitmaster. And just because you have a video camera and a youtube channel does not mean that you should be sharing videos.

There is a FB BBQ group for some restaurant. They claimed to share international BBQ videos and recipes. Not exactly sure how I ended up in the group. Anyway, they would post videos and it was the worst BBQ I have seen in a while. It literally looked like they boiled the meat. But the short video clips were of the meat on the grill. Zero smoke ring, zero bark, steaks overcooked to well done, it was like these guys had never had good BBQ and were making it up as they went and passing it off as awesome food. And the people in the group were loving it. I called them out on it a couple of times and told them everything they were doing wrong. Some people tried to say that I couldn't cook and I was trolling. Cutting open a ribeye roast and it being barely lighter brown on the inside than it is on the outside is not a good cook.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I showed my wife the first minute or so. She said "what the hell is he doing!?"

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

I feel the same way I felt 3 years ago about this video!  SMH
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Went to give Caz a thumbs up and found Travis' YouTube handle:

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Top plate. Bottom plate. Top plate. Bottom plate. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That'll help me a lot tomorrow.  Great video!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Just asking: I am going to do my first brisket in a few weeks. Sous vide first, egg second. Can someone point me to a good video showing how to carve the brisket properly? There are a lot of videos out there.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    https://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU   This trimming pre cook.   Carve against the grain.  Notice the orientation of the grain before cooking. Makes carving easy.  Also search BBQ brisket burnt ends.  One way of treating the point.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,524
    Options
    Easiest method for me to cut the flat across the grain is to cut a notch off the end of the flat perpendicular to the grain run before seasoning and creating the meteorite.  Once finished you orient the notch and away you go.  Rotate once you get to the flat/point intersection.  Straight-forward.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Easiest method for me to cut the flat across the grain is to cut a notch off the end of the flat perpendicular to the grain run before seasoning and creating the meteorite.  Once finished you orient the notch and away you go.  Rotate once you get to the top plate/bottom plate intersection. 
    .  Straight-forward.  
    Fixt

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Went to give Caz a thumbs up and found Travis' YouTube handle:

I almost spit out my damn water!  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....