Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I being nit picky?

Options
I bought the ConvEGGtor Saturday. I opened it Sunday. Here are a couple of pictures of it. My neighbors doesn't have these marks and nicks and neither did the one at the store. Am I being too picky? Should I keep it and not worry. It probably won't affect its performance. But I paid $75 and you would think they wouldn't allow this out of the factory. What do y'all think?

Green Eggin' in South Carolina
Go Gamecocks!!!

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would return it myself before using.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

agreed, mine came out of the box smooth. Personally I would look to return.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Poor quality control there.  Not sure I'd return it but could understand someone doing it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If those had the lifetime warranty I wouldn't worry about it at all but since they only have a few year warranty (3 or 5?)  if your dealer has more in the store it might be worth taking a look and maybe swapping with a "better" one.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    Wouldn't bother me but to each his own.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It looks like there are a couple of hairline cracks. Or the beginnings of. I'd exchange it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    Options
    It looks like there are a couple of hairline cracks. Or the beginnings of. I'd exchange it.
    You think that etching puts it at risk for cracking?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm talking about these. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggPerfection
    Options
    I think it will perform perfectly well but you have every right to email that picture to  your dealer and ask for a heavily discounted bag of charcoal or something fair.  That's nothing to get jazzed about but it's aesthetically below average.
    Best - Jack
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I agree - replace it now. As for what happened my guess it was end of a shift or a new or lazy employee. These are made using a process called slip casting and a clay slurry is poured into a mold which in time draws the water out of the slurry and leaves the formed object - in this case a plate setter. In that condition it is called greenware and should have been smoothed off while still very malleable before being fired. Your PS was not smoothed, but fired as is. Those round spots by the legs are the "gates" where the slip was poured in. Quality control was on break! That's for sure!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Definitely replace it. The color seems too white and with all those cracks and chips it looks as if were used and someone tried to clean it up and sell as new. Was it in a sealed box?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I'm talking about these. 

Thanks Michael.  Still on the fence.  But since it's brand new, perhaps better safe than sorry.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah, there's prolly nothing at all wrong with it, but I wouldn't hesitate to exchange it at our store. I've never seen one that shabby in person and I've seen hundreds. 
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    Those are just scratches and tooling marks. I don't really see any cracks. I'm kind of on the fence about it. I'm thinking like some of you said. It isn't a lifetime warranty and I did pay 75 bucks for it so I kind of expect better.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Its not gonna win "Best in Show" but those esthetic blemishes should have no effect on performance or longevity. It lives inside your egg and unless covered with foil for every cook will be blackened within months. 
    I say let it ride. FWIW. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I probably wouldn't return it, however if it cracked prematurely I would kick myself.

Is returning it and getting something from the CGS an option?

Phoenix 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @blasting is on to a win-win if you can pull it off.  Return and get your $$ back then spend more (easy for me to offer) to get a rig from here:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  You can get the heat deflector (aka stone) and multi-level cooking set-ups.  Give the search function here a look with adjustable rig, or woo and stone in the box.  You can also call 'em and get dialed in to meet you projected wants/needs.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    :o After the day I've had, your thread title is hitting a little too close to home. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I just got an AR for Christmas and haven't used the coveggtor since. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    :o After the day I've had, your thread title is hitting a little too close to home. 
    Nit problem Jeremiah?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Could use it to tether your dog to possibly? 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Could use it to tether your dog to possibly? 
    I'd be devastated if you didn't folllow matts advice 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Nit problem Jeremiah?
    You could hire a troup of chimpanzees
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    Nit problem Jeremiah?
    You could hire a troup of chimpanzees
    Bite me. Both of you. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    edited April 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I'm talking about these. 

Thanks Michael.  Still on the fence.  But since it's brand new, perhaps better safe than sorry.
    I agree with Carolina Q.  The killer for ceramics is stress risers.  Every one of those imperfections, including the dimples with dried clay smashed in them will function as a stress riser.

During heating and cooling cycles you run a greater risk of cracking along the imperfections than in a nice smoothly made area.

A smooth well made ceramic will defintely live longer than a blemished ceramic with lots of stress risers.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    When I first bought my Large, it featured a chip in the interior of the dome and a rain cap with a defective glaze. This bothered me. Like you, I wondered how they would let this by the quality control. Whether or not it affected performance, I knew it would bother me and went back to the dealer, who ultimately replaced the parts. I'm glad I did. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I'm talking about these. 

I agree with Carolina Q.  The killer for ceramics is stress risers.  Every one of those imperfections, including the dimples with dried clay smashed in them will function as a stress riser.

During heating and cooling cycles you run a greater risk of cracking along the imperfections than in a nice smoothly made area.

A smooth well made ceramic will defintely live longer than a blemished ceramic with lots of stress risers.
    You are so full of Shlt it's nauseating.  Like whatever worthless degree you have from nobody U qualifies.  Your definition of risers....
    Rise on brother  =)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,111
    edited April 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I'm talking about these. 

You are so full of Shlt it's nauseating.  Like whatever worthless degree you have from nobody U qualifies.  Your definition of risers....
    Rise on brother  =)
    Hey now, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.  Plus, I went to everybody gets inn U.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I'm talking about these. 

Rise on brother  =)
    Hey now, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.  Plus, I went to everybody gets inn U.
    Oh man, my bad.  I applied to everybody gets in U and got turned down.  Very impressed.  Was stuck with SEC basketball.