Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Prime Rib

Options
Last night's prime rib reverse seared was a success

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Beautiful beef.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    You never forget your first!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lbbf
    lbbf Posts: 33
    Options
    MMMM! That looks amazing. Could you explain the process for those of us who love prime rib but don't yet have the guts to try it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Great result right there. Congrats- @lbbf , I will let the OP reply but it is about the most straight-forward cook you can do on any device.  The key is a good instant read (or oven sustainable) calibrated thermo to nail your finish temp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I like it! Nice job!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • bg_easy
    bg_easy Posts: 41
    Options
    +1 on @lbbf's post. Have done in the oven but no egg try yet.  Looks perfect. 

Large BGE, Bull Lonestar and Bull Burner, growing fleet of accessories

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Most excellent!
    Stillwater, MN
  • steelcity314
    Options
    lbbf said:
    MMMM! That looks amazing. Could you explain the process for those of us who love prime rib but don't yet have the guts to try it.
    I smoked the roast over mesquite and cherry wood at 225 until 115 IT. While the roast rested, I got the egg up to 600 and seared it for about 2.5 minutes per side. Pulled the roast off the egg and FTC for an hour until ready to carve.  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    Nice!

edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks all. I do have a question for you guys--I noticed the flames extremely high when I was searing the roast. I understand rib roasts are very fatty and the grease causes a lot of flames. Any tips on handling the searing of this type of roast without having to reach down onto the grate resting on the fire ring? 
  • CountryBoy
    CountryBoy Posts: 102
    Options
    Beautiful! Looks perfect from here!
  • Hans61
    Options
    You can sear on the normal grate level just fine :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lbbf
    lbbf Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know how its done! Gonna have to put this on the list of things to cook. SOON!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Oh heck yeah!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That looks beautiful!  I do not know how you could improve on that! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • steelcity314
    Options
    Thank you all very much
  • steelcity314
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    How do you mean searing on the normal grate level without the plate setter in and the grate resting on the fire ring?
  • Hans61
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    How do you mean searing on the normal grate level without the plate setter in and the grate resting on the fire ring?
    Take out the plate setter before the sear. There's another ring on top of the fire ring, some do sear lower ar the the fire ring level - some do caveman right on the coals. The normal BGE grate level will give you a good sear - don't need to go lower IMHO 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Caveman is for steaks - sorry forgot for a second your question was specific to searing a roast 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf