Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL @ Sams

Options
just got a new Sams in town. Front & center

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Pretty sure past posts have said they are grey market eggs and won't have a BGE warranty.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Bowne1
    Bowne1 Posts: 20
    Options
    What is the deal with the warranty? 
    Large, Med and a Yoder YS480 . 1 Beautiful Wife, 2 Dogs and always looking for a MM 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    "Porcelain coated grid"  Huh?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Bowne1 said:
    What is the deal with the warranty? 
    They are not an authorized seller so they do not come with a warranty from BGE.  Sams has a good return policy so if there was a problem you may be able to return it...but you would have to take back the whole thing. It would be a PITA to lug an entire XL back if you had an issue like a cracked firebox.  It is unfortunate because your average consumer would have no way of knowing this. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Saw the same thing at my local Sam's.  Except it was $1200.  
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    Cant imagine why anyone would buy one at that price as ACE hardware in my area has the entire package including plate setter and side shelves for $1325
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    B747crew said:
    Cant imagine why anyone would buy one at that price as ACE hardware in my area has the entire package including plate setter and side shelves for $1325
    The one in the picture comes with a nest and side tables and I have never seen a XL that low even without a warranty.  Mine with next, tables, plate setter, 20 lb bag of lump, fire starter sticks and ash tool was $1665 3 years ago and it was delivered to my house assebled.  If nothing ever crack's which is unlikely it is a good deal, but I rather have the warranty and spend a little more.  My dealer has been easy to deal with on warranty claims and I am on my 3rd plate setter and third fire box.  There is the $600 difference and I am still covered.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I paid $1300 for an XL with nest and plate setter this winter. Delivery - 50 miles - $50. 
  • jewild
    jewild Posts: 14
    Options

Seems like a good price, and most hate to admit it by coming up with every reason not to buy.

1. if you have to worry about it cracking, don't buy it. get something reliable.

2. if it's an issue, why not ask Sam's about it b4 purchase.

3. get it serial number off of it and call BGE to find out,

everyone here speculates and no one really knows.

If I didn't already own one, I get that one, the price is pretty awesome, for these over priced cookers.

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jewild said:

Seems like a good price, and most hate to admit it by coming up with every reason not to buy.

1. if you have to worry about it cracking, don't buy it. get something reliable.

2. if it's an issue, why not ask Sam's about it b4 purchase.

3. get it serial number off of it and call BGE to find out,

everyone here speculates and no one really knows.

If I didn't already own one, I get that one, the price is pretty awesome, for these over priced cookers.

Serial number? 
    No reason to contact BGE...just have to read the warranty...
    7. WHAT IS NOT COVERED: These Warranties are based on normal and reasonable residential use and service of the EGG. Commercial uses and related applications are excluded from Warranty coverage. Warranty does not apply to any incidental losses or accidental damage or breakage, or for any damage caused by: transporting; dropping; misassembly; improperly supporting; attempting to suspend the EGG by any means other than an approved BGE Nest or solid, non-combustible surface under the base; commercial use; modifications; alterations; negligence; abuse; improper care; road hazards; normal and reasonable wear and tear; floods, storms or natural disasters. Warranty coverage does not extend to scratches, dents, chips, crazing, fading, appearances or minor cosmetic cracks of the exterior glaze that do not affect the performance of the EGG.
    BIG GREEN EGGS AND RELATED BGE PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM UNAUTHORIZED RESELLERS, UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTIES OR THROUGH UNAUTHORIZED RETAIL CHANNELS SUCH AS DISCOUNT CLUBS AND DISCOUNT CHAIN STORES ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THE BIG GREEN EGG WARRANTY.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I have a second XL, mI used the dome it was put together from warranty replaced parts. Cracked the Large base as well. What $$ you save you spend when it cracks..,
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    So is BGE selling these to Sam's? I'm not sure how that makes sense for a product like this.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Demos come pretty close to that price with nest and platesetter. Tis the season. Warranty intact.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited April 2017
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    So is BGE selling these to Sam's? I'm not sure how that makes sense for a product like this.
    No, BGE sells to their Distributors around the country. They in turn sell to the retailers.
    What happens is that typically a Sam's buyer will not disclose who they are and try to purchase the BGE products through 3rd parties. Face it if you are a retailer and you get a call with someone wanting to order 25 -50 BGE Eggs, are you gonna ask who they are?
    No, your pissing in your pants trying to close the deal!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Man, you guys are making me feel good.  $800 with nest, plate setter, side tables, lump, and lump tool.  Plus SW cap tossed in.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    they play this game every year and buyers eventually get screwed.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    Hotch said:
    GrillSgt said:
    No, BGE sells to their Distributors around the country. They in turn sell to the retailers.
    What happens is that typically a Sam's buyer will not disclose who they are and try to purchase the BGE products through 3rd parties. Face it if you are a retailer and you get a call with someone wanting to order 25 -50 BGE Eggs, are you gonna ask who they are?
    No, your pissing in your pants trying to close the deal!!
    That's not really how it happens at all.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    they play this game every year and buyers eventually get screwed.
    thats what they say anyways, but thousands of these have been sold this way, maybe several thousand over the years and ive yet to hear about any of those  eggs not getting covered under warranty.  you would think atleast one of them would do a driveby on a bge forum if they were unhappy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

We see this a couple of times every year. I'm gonna finally call BS.  We know BGE aggressively protects their brand.  Sams sales may not be officially sanctioned, but if BGE doesn't want their products sold at Sams they could stop it the same way they protect their brand elsewhere.  

BGE should stop the sales, or honor the warranty. Enough games.  This is a bad mark on an otherwise great company.

I'm open to new info if there is something I'm not understanding, but this is the way I see it.

Phoenix 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    BGE got the same wholesale price for the unit with no warranty expenses it's a win win for them. If they gave a **** it would be easy to trace where they came from & punish the offending party.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Man, you guys are making me feel good.  $800 with nest, plate setter, side tables, lump, and lump tool.  Plus SW cap tossed in.
    don't be bragging about the mini purchase you just made. It's just rude. LOL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    don't be bragging about the mini purchase you just made. It's just rude. LOL
    Hahaha .... Yeah, it was my medium.  The XL was much much more, but this morning I was trolling.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    beteez said:
    BGE got the same wholesale price for the unit with no warranty expenses it's a win win for them. If they gave a **** it would be easy to trace where they came from & punish the offending party.
    I don't remember signing anything saying "not for resale".  I don't know why Sams should be banned from buying a truckload and reselling.  It is a loss leader for them and an advetising gimmick.  They should be required to clearly state "No BGE warranty, third party sale", but as it is I never mess with manufacturer warranties when buying from Sams or Costco.  I just bring it back.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    The XL is infamous for cracked bases.  I am on my third base in 5 years.  Glad I have a warranty!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    beteez said:
    I don't remember signing anything saying "not for resale".  I don't know why Sams should be banned from buying a truckload and reselling.  It is a loss leader for them and an advetising gimmick.  They should be required to clearly state "No BGE warranty, third party sale", but as it is I never mess with manufacturer warranties when buying from Sams or Costco.  I just bring it back.
    Agree, this might be the real reason BGE does not stop them. But then it is considered a used Egg legally and no warranty.
    Problem is, when I questioned the manager at my local Sam's Club, he told my they were a BGE dealer and buying from Sam's Club did not void warantee. I pulled out my phone and and called BGE on speaker phone and he ran away.
    I don't care what Sam's Club sells. But when they lie about being a dealer...that's wrong. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas