Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hack job on trimming brisket

Options
2»

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great cook brother.....  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks perfect- nice work!  

I still struggle with trimming as well. One thing I have found is that I have trouble determining just how thick the fat is in various areas. It is hard to leave 1/4 inch of fat when you are unsure where the fat ends and the meat begins. 

I think next time I am just going to trim the fat down to the meat in a few spots so I can more accurately gauge how thick the fat is in various areas. Franklin warns against leaving "bare spots", however on an egg I don't think it will really have much negative impact. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt -  Almost every brisket trim I end up with a bare spot somewhere.  Once the meteorite is formed I have never been able to notice.  FWIW-
    Edit: apologize for the partial hi-jack.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Beautiful cook!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Looks perfect- nice work!  

I still struggle with trimming as well. One thing I have found is that I have trouble determining just how thick the fat is in various areas. It is hard to leave 1/4 inch of fat when you are unsure where the fat ends and the meat begins. 

I think next time I am just going to trim the fat down to the meat in a few spots so I can more accurately gauge how thick the fat is in various areas. Franklin warns against leaving "bare spots", however on an egg I don't think it will really have much negative impact. 
    I had a few bare spots on my brisket i did on saturday and it didnt seem to affect anything. I just covered the bare spots with rub and laid it fat side down. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie