Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about a pellet grill to add

Options
Hntnhrd
Hntnhrd Posts: 713
Any  one looked at this little grill? I have been thinking of adding a pellet grill that we could be mobile with. Most likely use would be for small
low and slow cooks anyway. 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    You may want to ask this question on Pelletheads.com.
    Those guys have pretty extensive knowledge of the various pellet grills on the market.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Paging @pgprescott as he deals with all manner of outdoor cookers.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    Lots of good reviews online and that pellethead forum. On sale and I have a $30 off coupon puts it right around 300. Looks interesting
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I've never used one, but I'm sure they are more than adequate. Get some grill grates if you want to grill with it. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2017
    Options

Be careful with that thing on here. there are some sensitive people on here that feel they are blasphemy using electricity to cook isn't cooking outdoors.

I bought a JB wifi last fall. only a ocuple cooks with it so far.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I'd go look at that pellet grill before you buy it.  At 219 sq. in. of cooking area, it can come across as surprisingly small for a pellet pusher.   As a reference, the large egg is approx, 260 sq. in.

I get mobile but remember, you gotta plug into an electrical outlet.  Easy in an RV park, not so much at a camp site or tailgate.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    It also comes with a cigarette lighter plug and consumes very little power.  No outlet needed.  Grill grates are nice, but the Davy Crockett has the ability to direct flame grill over the firebox.

219 square inches is 84% as big as a large BGE, so, not exactly tiny.  It will hold 2 pork butts or a decent sized turkey.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Going on Pellet heads.com is somewhat useful. I fond a lot of the issue threads are on that page. It shows the possible things that can and have gone wrong with the units in the GMG lineup. If your on FB, there is a page there as well that has nothing but the positive side of owning a GMG, its called Green Mountain Grill Owners. Check out both to get a sense of what you want to do.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    "I recommend a jump pack to run it. something like this."

A cheaper, longer running alternative, assuming you have a battery charger already, is a garden tractor battery for about 1/2 the price.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    I'd go for it. A supervisor of mine has one and it puts out pretty good food. I wish I would have bought one instead of the stoker that I used once.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    scdaf said:

219 square inches is 84% as big as a large BGE, so, not exactly tiny.  It will hold 2 pork butts or a decent sized turkey.

To me, a standard weber kettle is an average size grill at 22 1/2" / 363 square inches.  A dedicated pellet pooper that is 40% smaller than a standard kettle wouldn't be for me.  

Phoenix 
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    What I would mainly use it for would be at hunting camp when I am guiding in the fall.and we have a little cabin on a small lake in Northern Montana. Both have electricity. Probably do a couple chickens at a time a small brisket or one Butt or a prime rib. I have my work horse Large BGE and a Weber kettle at home for big cooks or precooking and vacum sealing.

Do I need a pellet grill? Nope.
    Do I want one? Yup!!

I had a hunter this past fall that got rid of his traeger cause it crapped out and replaced it with a green mountian. Said he liked the GMG a lot more then his old traeger. Local Sporstmens Wharehouse has them . Looked the other day and may go back and look more closely after going thru that pelletthead site.
  • GregW
    Options
    I just cooked bone in chicken breast on my Cookshack pellet smoker @375 indirect and it was excellent. Very crisp skin and good smoke flavor.

Pellet cookers are nice, but they won't fully replace my egg. My Cookshack is a totally indirect smoker. Most of the pellet grills on the market can do both direct and indirect.

If you can justify the expense I would recommend for you to look at the
    https://memphisgrills.com/

Or https://www.makgrills.com/

Cookshack also makes some nice residential grills
    http://www.cookshack.com/store/Grills

The manufactures listed above all produce their smokers in the USA, that's not true for the bulk of the pellet smokers on the market.
    Trager was once a big name in pellet grills. They moved production to China and their quality suffered. I understand they have worked to get the quality back in their grills.
    Pellet grills/smokers like anything, are only as good as the support you can get from the manufacture. Things malfunction and fail with anything, it's how the manufacture stands behind it is what's important.

I can only speak about Cookshack when it come's to support. They are outstanding. They really support what they sell.

When you need a replacement part, It's nice to know it's not on a slow boat coming from China.

• Hntnhrd
    Options
    @GregW thanks I will look at those. I am no hurry . 
    I was at Costco yesterday and they had a traeger roadshow thing going on. I was looking at them and the guy asked me if I had a traeger? I said no I have an egg. He smiled turned around and walked away!!! Lol
  • GregW
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    @GregW thanks I will look at those. I am no hurry . 
    I was at Costco yesterday and they had a traeger roadshow thing going on. I was looking at them and the guy asked me if I had a traeger? I said no I have an egg. He smiled turned around and walked away!!! Lol
    I've looked at the Trager at the Costco roadshow also. I got the same reaction when he asked what I cooked on. It's hard to compete against an egg.
    All the Tragers he had on display were future rust buckets in the making.
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    I really felt that the metal was extremely thin on the traeger. The yoders look incredible but way more of a unit then I am thinking i need
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Be careful with that thing on here. there are some sensitive people on here that feel they are blasphemy using electricity to cook isn't cooking outdoors.

Do you like using it? Anticipate more use as we're getting into Spring?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @Hntnhrd when you're mobile use would apply are you otherwise preoccupied? If so, something like that would be good for those occasions :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    @Hans61 well summer at the cabin I will be preoccupied drinking and drowning worms. In the fall I guide hunting trips. So I would be preoccupied with the hunters during the day. I have a cook at the lodge but it would be nice to make a brisket or pulled pork that day and have the hunters smell it when we are back at lunch and they know what goes into making it. I did a couple briskets last year on my barrel grill that came out great but where stressful dealing with being gone and the cook in camp really unsure of what to do. Plus I don't have a pellet grill and feel like I should. Lol

• pgprescott
    Options
    The Traegers have really improved their game in the last three years. I wouldn't hesitate to have one on my deck. The Memphis is kinda a league apart from the rest IMO. The Yoder looks like a great unit, but I haven't massed with them personally. I am confident from their reputation and what I've seen online that they are excellent. This new Traeger is a game changer for them IMO. 
    http://www.traegergrills.com/timberline.html
    of course most of these aren't very portable. Traeger does make a tailgater with folding legs too, but not wifi. Good luck. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Why a pellet?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• hondabbq
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    hondabbq said:

Do you like using it? Anticipate more use as we're getting into Spring?

Definitely. I know guys use them all winter but I just put my stuff away for winter to keep it protected.

I will be breaking it out this weekend for its first cook of the season. It will be ribs. First go was a rack of pork then it was 6 butts, then winter hit.

• hondabbq
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Why a pellet?
    Personally I was wanting to get a larger area for cooking for some low and slows. My friends all want pulled pork and ribs and the LBGE was just not getting it done with volume I could fit. Yes I can fot 4 x 8-9 lb butts on it but I had to move them around as the cook progressed etc. I can fit 6 butts on the JB and not have to shuffle its just easier. I will be doing more cooking on it as it worms up here. There are a lot of great looking cooks on the GMG pages I peruse.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The Traegers have really improved their game in the last three years. I wouldn't hesitate to have one on my deck. The Memphis is kinda a league apart from the rest IMO. The Yoder looks like a great unit, but I haven't massed with them personally. I am confident from their reputation and what I've seen online that they are excellent. This new Traeger is a game changer for them IMO. 
    of course most of these aren't very portable. Traeger does make a tailgater with folding legs too, but not wifi. Good luck. 
    They have upped/innovated their game, kudos to the folks at Traeger.

Double wall is bigly.
    Techy peeps will go ape about the built-in controller, WiFIRE.  The SS, cutting board touches are nice.  

Good to see companies like Traeger and PK pushing forward, stagnation sucks.

For sh!ts and giggles Pete, what's the retail on the Timberline 1300?  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:

Double wall is bigly.
    Techy peeps will go ape about the built-in controller, WiFIRE.  The SS, cutting board touches are nice.  

@2K and the 850 is 1600 I think. We can't get them til May/June.

Perspective wise, that's less than 1/2 a Memphis. I haven't played with it really, but we kicked the tires at the show. The app looks pretty comprehensive for the WiFire.
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

Double wall is bigly.

Perspective wise, that's less than 1/2 a Memphis. I haven't played with it really, but we kicked the tires at the show. The app looks pretty comprehensive for the WiFire.
    Thanks.  The Memphis line must be solid.  Look forward to checking those out in June. 

2Gs isn't bad for the Timberline.  One of the pulmonolgists I work with has a Traeger, he loves it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Double wall is bigly.

Thanks.  The Memphis line must be solid.  Look forward to checking those out in June. 

2Gs isn't bad for the Timberline.  One of the pulmonolgists I work with has a Traeger, he loves it.
    I cook on one at the store for demos etc. I don't have one at home, but that might change soon. It's not live fire cooking, but it does a good job on lots of stuff. TBH, I like ribs off the traeger, A LOT. The grill grates virtually eliminate the searing issue for the pellet grills. Obviously, like all cookers, they do some things better than others. They are not as versatile as an Egg, but a nice addition for sure. The Memphis is just a tank. The fit and finish are way above all others in the category. They are par with the high end gassers. The performance matches the finish too. It's deep water for those.

I'm trying to hook up with a brewer for the fest. We are pretty friendly with the owner of Bent. I'm not a huge consumer of beer any longer, so I'm not very familiar with their products. I would gladly get more familiar though! LOL!
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Double wall is bigly.

I cook on one at the store for demos etc. I don't have one at home, but that might change soon. It's not live fire cooking, but it does a good job on lots of stuff. TBH, I like ribs off the traeger, A LOT. The grill grates virtually eliminate the searing issue for the pellet grills. Obviously, like all cookers, they do some things better than others. They are not as versatile as an Egg, but a nice addition for sure. The Memphis is just a tank. The fit and finish are way above all others in the category. They are par with the high end gassers. The performance matches the finish too. It's deep water for those.

I'm trying to hook up with a brewer for the fest. We are pretty friendly with the owner of Bent. I'm not a huge consumer of beer any longer, so I'm not very familiar with their products. I would gladly get more familiar though! LOL!
    Teaming up with Bent would be epic Pete!  I may need to pass out behind the shop. Lol

Bumped into the Brewmaster at Hy Vee in the craft beer section.  We chatted for a bit, and he recommended a couple of great beers, super nice guy.  Their Mississippi Blonde is my favorite pale ale, Oatmeal Stout is great too, love pepper stout beef with it.  Jingle Java is a Christmastime QC staple.  They were cranking out craft beers long before the craft beer craze.  Their 20th Anniversary is this year, Front Street Brewery in Davenport is celebrating their 25th this year...pretty cool.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities