Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I made the jump today

Options
First I want to thank all the members of the forum for their very kind advice on my previous questions.
   I purchase a used Medium today at a price that I feel was very good and for a size that my wife and I agreed should be a starting point. 
  I was pleased to get the 2 year old ,seldom used medium with a cover, plate setter, pizza stone, Looftlighter that looks new, Big Green charcoal and fire starters, new heat resistant gloves, the hardcover edition of "The Big Green Egg Cookbook" and of course the nest for $450. I'm feeling real good about this and my wife and I a psyched to start our adventures. I'll address a bigger egg when and if I need to. 
   Thanks again to everyone.
   Jack " Flash " B747crew

Comments

• Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Welcome aboard, and congrats on your purchase!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Awesome! You can add that large in a bout six months. That will be a nice combo. Lol!
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Congrats and enjoy your purchase 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Sounds like you got a great deal at that price. Congratulations.

Waiting patiently (or maybe not patiently) for pictures of your first cook.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Sounds like a great find! Congrats 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Welcome to the cult!
    Whether you do or do not buy more egg associated toys, you will eat at home more, which is a win in my book.
    Consider your life and wallet changed forever. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very nice...you should feel good about that purchase. You will hit the ground running.
    I'm sure you will get many years of great cooks. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    ..... Remember to burp the lid.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    He will right after the first time he forgets!
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    The medium is a great size and it's a workhorse. Congrats! 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Just out of curiosity what was the guys deal who you bought it from 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    Point well taken  Thanks
  • B747crew
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Sorry I'm not sure I understand the question??
  • Hans61
    Options
    Why was he selling his egg
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Congrats. You'll be well served with the medium. It's a great cooker. She's a little firecracker though so watch the temps. Small changes in vent settings can make quick jumps in temp. Like driving a Ferrari. 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Congrats, @B747crew.  Have fun!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • PatBateman
    PatBateman Posts: 33
    edited March 2017
    Options
    B747crew said:
    Hans61 said:
    Sorry I'm not sure I understand the question??
    He means, what was his reason for selling. Welcome to the tribe.
  • B747crew
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    He's a golfer and he didn't get to use it as much as he thought he would
  • B747crew
    Options

Congrats. You'll be well served with the medium. It's a great cooker. She's a little firecracker though so watch the temps. Small changes in vent settings can make quick jumps in temp. Like driving a Ferrari. 
    Thanks I'll be watching her
  • pgprescott
    Options
    B747crew said:
    Hans61 said:
    It's perfect for golfers. Throw a pork butt on and go golf, have a few "pops" with the buddies and when you get home the butt is rocking along.  

Their loss. 
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    B747crew said:
    ".. I'll address a bigger egg when and if I need to...." 

Jack " Flash " B747crew
    You are learning fast! You are catching on to the idea of multiple eggs ;) They do tend to multiply!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    That is over $200 less than I paid for my medium set up in 2009 and I didn't get the pizza stone or looftlighter thrown in on that. The looftlighter came about 4 years ago. If the original owner was still using the official charcoal He must have used it 10 times or less.

Fire that baby up!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on an excellent purchase. 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Sounds like you got a great deal. Welcome.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Congrats on the great deal and welcome! Just want to share this... if/when you do clean burn or pizza cook, try not to go nuclear, to minimise the risk of cracking any ceramic part (since/assuming you don't have the lifetime warranty).
    canuckland
  • B747crew
    Options
    Congrats on the great deal and welcome! Just want to share this... if/when you do clean burn or pizza cook, try not to go nuclear, to minimise the risk of cracking any ceramic part (since/assuming you don't have the lifetime warranty).
    I keep an eye out... What would be a good safe max temp to work with for a pizza

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    edited March 2017
    Options
    B747crew said:
    Hans61 said:
    You should thank him and then never speak to him again.  Huh!!!  A golfer who didn't have time to use a BGE...  You just can fix stupid...  obviously he wasn't a real golfer..

Welcome aboard!!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • pgprescott
    Options
    B747crew said:
    I keep an eye out... What would be a good safe max temp to work with for a pizza

There is no such thing. They are fired at very high temps and are built to withstand basically anything you can throw at it, but they usually crack eventually. Could be due to stresses from dissimilar materials such as steel and cast iron being integrated in the whole design. If you want to hedge your bets, don't do clean burns and keep your pizza temps under 700. That said, this is in no way fail safe. 

If if you have a dealer, I would go make friends. All dealers aren't created equal, so do some research if there are multiples around your area. I would also inquire as to the purchase date and details from the seller. Sometimes those nontransferable warranties miraculously get serviced. 
  • B747crew
    Options
    " don't do clean burns "

I really don't have an idea yet what a clean burn is??
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Agree don't go over 700 for pizza, btw I seldom cook pizza in my eggs (another story). Clean burn is akin to self cleaning your kitchen oven, some folks go nuclear until the dome thermometer needle 'wraps around'  =)
    canuckland