Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone recognize this lump?

Options
This is what the Restaurant Depot caries in my local store.

I can't find it in the Naked Whiz Lump Database.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    No one recognizes it? Has anyone used it?
    MiniMax 04/17

• PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    ...crickets...

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

Looks premium, but not center cut! 

(I would definitely buy a bag and try it out!)

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    How much is it?
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I've seen it at a local hardware store but never used it. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    If you like Cowboy lump you will like this. It's awful in my opinion. Cowboy might be better than this stuff. Super strong smoke and sparks everywhere 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks. I'll stay away from it.

Besides, I have easy access to RockWood less than 3 miles from my house at $19 a bag using the $5 off coupons that Ace keeps sending me.
    MiniMax 04/17

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options

Besides, I have easy access to RockWood less than 3 miles from my house at $19 a bag using the $5 off coupons that Ace keeps sending me.
    Which Ace carries Rockwood?  I'll be passing through Jax/Ponte Vedra this weekend.  Thanks.  
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Your local ACE in Miami can get you Rockwood if they don't stock it.  Stop by the special order desk and ask to order a bag.  - SKU 8400772.  I am picking up a bag today that I ordered on Sunday.  My local ACE gets deliveries from the warehouse that has the Rockwood every Wednesday and Saturday.  Just need to order a couple of days ahead.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Looks like typical Mesquite lump from Mexico. Made for a "Different" type of BBQ than the BGE IMO. See it here all the time. Pour out the whole bag into large "Hibachi" type grills and allowed to burn off for quite awhile until all the sparks go down, then a grill placed a few inches above the coals. Lots of skewers of Meats and veggies. Sometimes over SM pits (only pic I could find)

South SLO County
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:

Which Ace carries Rockwood?  I'll be passing through Jax/Ponte Vedra this weekend.  Thanks.  

Just about every one of them in that area.  That's Smokeware country, so those guys help me out.  Any Hagen, Proctor, or Turner Ace should have it.  Check our website locator and call ahead to make sure.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:

Just about every one of them in that area.  That's Smokeware country, so those guys help me out.  Any Hagen, Proctor, or Turner Ace should have it.  Check our website locator and call ahead to make sure.
    My Ace is the one on San Jose/SR13. I haven't tried the others but listen to @stlcharcoal as he know what he's talking about when it comes to lump.
    MiniMax 04/17

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    Thanks, @SaintJohnsEgger, @stlcharcoal and @jtcBoynton.  I had looked on the Ace website and searched Rockwood and it didn't come up, so thanks for the SKU.  Anyhow, I will be minutes away from the Proctor Ace on Sunday, so I'll stop by there.  Thanks again!
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Thanks, @SaintJohnsEgger, @stlcharcoal and @jtcBoynton.  I had looked on the Ace website and searched Rockwood and it didn't come up, so thanks for the SKU.  Anyhow, I will be minutes away from the Proctor Ace on Sunday, so I'll stop by there.  Thanks again!

Yeah, it's not on the website since it isn't nationwide [yet].  8 Ace warehouses down, 5 more to go.  New York / New England went live on Monday.
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    No one recognizes it? Has anyone used it?
    You got me. Never heard of it -- will do some research.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Never seen it.  My Restaurant Depot carries Carbon del Sur which i really like,and the price is right - about $12 for an 18 lb bag
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I bought two bags about a year ago. As stated above lots of sparks and heavy smoke taste on the food. Took a while to kight also. I managed to finish one bag but no clue what I'll do with the second unopened bag. I was using royal oak at the time too so if it was terrible compared to roal oak it must be bad.
    Parker, Colorado
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    My local RD carries Lazzari Mesquite lump. $14.00 for 40lbs.
    Great lump, very dense and heavy. Burns a long time, burns clean and no flavor added to the cook. But it is a bit hard to light.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX