Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KJ review by Baby Back Maniac

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262

I kinda bleed green, but ya gotta give some credit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqVEh7j_p3U
Phoenix 

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Yeah saw that video yesterday. Smart of KJ giving him one. Ton of free advertising. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    I never have understood what the big issue is with this "flippy flippy" thing, I have heard this come up multiple times in the past, pretty simple solution just by turning the main cap based on how far you need the top open. I have never had this issue ever, seemed like a no brainer.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options

Perfect, @lousubcap , that is a lot better then how I was going to try and explain it, as simple as it is.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options
    I still don't see the benefit of a multiple-piece firebox. I understand it would be less to replace when it cracks (one piece vs. the entire firebox), but other than that, what would be the benefit?
    Indianapolis, IN
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Informative, but a tough video for me to sit through. At some point I fully expected a cut-scene of him in diapers with a rattle.
    Gittin' there...
  • acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    I still don't see the benefit of a multiple-piece firebox. I understand it would be less to replace when it cracks (one piece vs. the entire firebox), but other than that, what would be the benefit?
    I could be mistaken but I think the idea is there are more expansion joints so it will reduce the stress and prevent cracks. 
    Makes sense. I've never had issues with my firebox cracking, although I've only had my egg for 3-4 years. My understanding is that even if it does crack, you really don't have to get a new one until it gets really bad. It will be interesting to see long-term results as to whether the new design actually reduces cracking.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    acmoser76 said:
    The only real benefit may just be that it will be cheaper for KJ to replace broken segments. KJ ships warranty parts directly to the owner free of charge unlike other kamado makers. Surely cheaper to ship just one "panel" than a whole firebox.

If it does end up saving money for KJ in the long run thats good for them and their customers.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm sure it cheaper to produce the multi piece  fire box. Seems like less chances to crack also. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    KJ's products are very innovative and seem to be leaving my beloved BGE brand in the dust.
    Maybe it's gonna take KJ to start having KJ-Fest's to get BGE to get with it ..
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I like the ash tray. Seeing how narrow the tray was I wondered how it caught all the ash, but it looks like the parts on the side of it funnels all the ash into the tray. I like the multi piece firebox. Curious to know if that gasket holds up, for some reason I don't think it will.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Well not only do you just need a firebox "section" should you get a crack, but there is NO fire ring at all TO crack. Has to reduce warrantee claims considerably I would think.   
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Looks like KJ has been doing their homework. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I'm going to throw out a Friday rant. I desired a BGE since 1990. Finally got my large in 2012 and have loved it and this forum since. I understand brands and pricing. I chose BGE just like I chose BMW. I wanted it. NOW STOP POSTING BS ABOUT OTHER BRANDS ON MY BGE FORUM. Thank you.  End rant. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @Cookbook_Chip, you have a point. In the real world, even as BGE owners, we would have conversations about the advantages of a different brand. But it is pretty rude to have conversations such as this on a BGE forum. Not that different than having friends over for a meal and having someone say that brisket tastes better cooked on Kamado Joes than my eggs. 
  • blasting
    Options

@Semolina Pilchard   I'm sorry you feel it's rude to discuss here - I don't mean to offend.  I did mark it as off topic. 

I like to keep up with what's going on, but I'm certainly not planning on switching brands. 

Phoenix 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @blasting, I was not singling you out. KJs are talked about on here all the time. Even if you were the first to post about KJ, I chimed in as well. I was simply saying that Chip had a point.

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    @blasting, I was not singling you out. KJs are talked about on here all the time. Even if you were the first to post about KJ, I chimed in as well. I was simply saying that Chip had a point.

Yep. This was one of those last straw moments on a Friday with adult beverages. I drink the koolaid and love my egg. I just wanna see posts about cooking and great food on the egg. Ok OT on griddles and SV whatever. But other kamados have their own forums. Go there. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    And @blasting this is not marked OT that I can see with my blurry bourbon eyes. 
  • blasting
    Options

Yep. This was one of those last straw moments on a Friday with adult beverages. I drink the koolaid and love my egg. I just wanna see posts about cooking and great food on the egg. Ok OT on griddles and SV whatever. But other kamados have their own forums. Go there. 

Yeah, but there forums suck, don't they, lol.  I've bought 4 greenies, and will continue to do so.  I'm  hoping that our brand of choice will feel a little pressure, that's all.  

You and I will continue to buy green, but someone coming in without history would be crazy to not give a hard look at the KJ.  That isn't good for the brand.  

I think we're on the same team green - peace.

Phoenix 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I never have understood what the big issue is with this "flippy flippy" thing, I have heard this come up multiple times in the past, pretty simple solution just by turning the main cap based on how far you need the top open. I have never had this issue ever, seemed like a no brainer.
    Good point, except 2 of my Eggs have cast iron Daisy tops that don't fit well enough to turn in a way to do this. Even after grinding off the inside ridges. This is why I went Smokeware Caps. I still have one Small Egg that's a problem. The new KJ top is nice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Wait!  What! There are other Kamadoes!  Nooooooooo.  Don't make me question my choice.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    And @blasting this is not marked OT that I can see with my blurry bourbon eyes. 
    ah-em.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I come to the interwebz to find like minded people who agree with me on everything!  I don't want choice or information.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    KJ's products are very innovative and seem to be leaving my beloved BGE brand in the dust.
    Maybe it's gonna take KJ to start having KJ-Fest's to get BGE to get with it ..
    Give it a little time, they will.
    KJ is crushing it out there.

I'm all about the best bang for your buck, screw brand loyalty.  My first large was 300 used, I wouldn't be here stirrin stuff up if it weren't for that deal.

Selling an egg at an eggfest is already a difficult sell, which now will get harder and harder.  My heart hurts for the dealers out there who cannot compete.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I'm going to throw out a Friday rant. I desired a BGE since 1990. Finally got my large in 2012 and have loved it and this forum since. I understand brands and pricing. I chose BGE just like I chose BMW. I wanted it. NOW STOP POSTING BS ABOUT OTHER BRANDS ON MY BGE FORUM. Thank you.  End rant. 
    I'm ok with all of this KJ talk on our forum. All of the KJ talk lately might be less about KJ the brand and more about how innovative they are proving to be. IMO, if it serves to hold BGE's feet to the fire to be more forward-looking, it's a win for all of us greenies. At the end of the day, many of the OT posts about gadgets and alternative cooking methods (that you're ok with) are supplemental to the kamado lifestyle and enhance the functionality or overall cooking experience on the egg. We've got smokeware caps - KJ integrated that into its new design. We've got fireboxes that crack, KJ (whether it proves effective or not) is trying to address that. And the list goes on.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    So what's the price on this new thing? $1200 new? doesnt seem like a great value anymore. 

I really like  the divide and conquer system. All the other features are nice but not game changing. I certainly don't need a 6 year old raising the top of a hot grill. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    So a competitor has come out with a seemingly obvious superior product, and the conversation here is that this thread is or isn't off topic??? Geez. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.