Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cake in a Cup

Options
I've been seeing these cake in a cup or mug recipes that go in the microwave and I am wondering how they would work on the egg. I've got a bunch of those Loge small ceramic cups and it would be cool to do a bunch of those at once on the grill. Anyone ever tried this?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    We are waiting you you buddy. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I think you need the micro waves to help accelerate the water molecules rapidly to get the almond or coconut flour to rapidly expand.  My guess is in the oven, or egg, the convection effect takes too long to heat the water and you'd get a really dense cake.

however, I've been known to be wrong before!  Take pictures if you try it!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    Haha, yeah, I mean it seems pretty easy, but I look at the recipes and see that you just pop it in the microwave for a minute or so and I wonder why I would mess with that and try them on the egg. I know I will though. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You bake cupcakes, which are basically small cakes. I don't see why it wouldn't work indirect in the egg. For baking on the egg I usually run the dome temp 25* higher than oven instructions.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @dmw I'm used to mug cakes with different types of flour.  For regular AP flours I agree, no different than normal cakes.  

See, wrong again...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @dmw I'm used to mug cakes with different types of flour.  For regular AP flours I agree, no different than normal cakes.  

See, wrong again...
    Ah, I had no idea mug cakes used different flours.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Cake on the Egg??

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    What about sea salt almond with caramel icing? You could get away with that light smoke flavor. Maybe even a little amaretto drizzle. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,637
    Options
    I wish BGE made a microwave, that would totally kick KJ's arse.