Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami question

Options
Preparing to do my first from scratch pastrami from the Charcuterie book after having some success with the store bought corned beef.

Two questions hoping you experts can help with.  First, I thought pastrami was just smoked corned beef, but Ruhlman's recipes call for a 5 day brine for corned beef but only 3 days for his pastrami recipe...why the shorter time in the brine for pastrami?  is it because of the different mixture of kosher and pink salts?

Second question is that he says to smoke until it gets to an IT of 150 and then steam in the oven till tender.  Is that what you guys do or do you smoke on the egg till tender?  I've never steamed the store bought corned beef in the past.

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You do not have to steam it, BUT steaming it takes it to the next level of goodness.
    It all depends if you want to go to that level.  Having been at both, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. 

Some will say you must, but you really don't. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I tried the 3 day brine and i had a grey center. Think 5 would have worked much better
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I generally do a 9 day dry brine using Morton Tender Quick (easy to find in local stores) along with peppercorns,coriander,and pickling spices. 

I then smoke it like a brisket until tender.  Sometimes I steam it before serving to make it more like a deli would serve.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I haven't corned my own yet, always start with store bought. But I usually smoke till it   hits the stall, then steam in the oven until tender. Comes out crazy good. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Steam is a key step.  Unless you have a small piece of meat, 3 days is not long enough.  At the end of the cure process, I let it soak in clear water to get rid of some of the salt otherwise it is way too salty for my taste.

Options
    ...Ruhlman's recipes call for a 5 day brine for corned beef but only 3 days for his pastrami recipe...why the shorter time in the brine for pastrami? ...
    Only solid reason I can think of is he assumes you will use a 1.5" thick flat for pastrami and a 2" thick flat for corned beef.  Those thicknesses will get you the brine time differences.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Deviledegger
    Options
    I plan on doing this for St. Pattys day.  It will be the second time.  I followed the directions from Charcuterie as you plan.  I used the point though.  When I was done (5 day brine) it was grey in the very center.  Half the size of a golf ball.  I steamed it and made the best sandwhichs I've ever made.  Probably the best reuben I've ever had.  You will be very happy!  
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    ...Ruhlman's recipes call for a 5 day brine for corned beef but only 3 days for his pastrami recipe...why the shorter time in the brine for pastrami? ...
    Only solid reason I can think of is he assumes you will use a 1.5" thick flat for pastrami and a 2" thick flat for corned beef.  Those thicknesses will get you the brine time differences.
    Both recipies call for a 5 lb flat with no mention of thickness.  I think given everyone's advice I'll do a 5 day brine and save a day for a soak to cut the salt a little.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Both recipies call for a 5 lb flat with no mention of thickness.  I think given everyone's advice I'll do a 5 day brine and save a day for a soak to cut the salt a little.
    Make sure you change the water frequently while soaking to leach the salt out. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.