Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fogo Temps?

Options
Did pizza on Monday and again last night. Used the *thriving* NyTimes adaptation of Roberta's dough -https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough - for the first round, and then switched to Kenji's neapolitan dough http://http//www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html - for the second. The Serious Eats dough was the clear winner, but both are great. 

The pizzas came out fine, but I had trouble getting the egg above 500°. Never had a problem with high heat before, and the only differences were the cast iron pizza "stone" (Lodge's 14" pizza pan) and it was my first time using Fogo. Any reason I couldn't get it to really scorch? Top setup was platesetter, grate, and the cast iron pan. Below I had a Kick-Ash Basket filled to the top (top of the basket, not top of the firebox) with Fogo. Cleaned out the egg before the cook, too. Do I need to really load down the firebox with all the charcoal it can hold?  

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That doesn't sound like a lot of charcoal given that you have a PS and CI piece in there.

Try again with lump filled to the top of the ring and let it rip if you're looking for higher temps. Checking your thermo wouldn't be a bad idea. 

Never had trouble getting up to temp with Fogo.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    I have never used a kick ash basket but always load lump to top of the firebox as a minimum. I always use all new lump when doing pizza as it tends to burn hotter and longer IMO. 
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Never had issues w/ FOGO or RW etc for high or low temps for that matter. In my experience when going L&S huge pieces of charcoal are great. For hot and fast like pizza the smaller stuff is better suited. Load it up! Just my opinion YMMV. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Just to the top of the KAB is not a lot of charcoal.  After an hour of warm up, there may not have been enough to make a big enough fire to get to high temps.  How much lump was left?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GratefulJason
    Options
    A fair amount was left, but it was all ashed over. I'm hearing y'all - more charcoal. I was probably just being a little too concerned about running through an expensive bag so quickly.