Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV fried rice... fail

Options
It was my fault. And no pics. Because I'm a douche.

Was in a rush, had an idea, knew I wasn't executing it properly, but figured "fvck it... I'll try it anways".

Had time to stop by the house for lunch, so set up a THICK (4")pork chop from our recent Charcutapalooza shenanigans in the SV at 140°F at about 2:30pm. Target was to eat at 6pm.

Took a cup of jasmine rice, 1.5 cups of water, pinch of Chinese five Spice powder, a few shakes of Tsunami Spin, 1 tsp of Better Than Bouillon Chicken base, 1 cup of frozen mixed veg,  splash each of mirin, sesame oil,  rice wine vinegar, and fish sauce. The fried rice operation went into a gallon ziploc bag, displaced the air, then into the SVS Demi. Vac-sealed pork chop on top. Weighted down with some plates so things wouldn't float. 

Afternoon ended up being crazy busy, so got home later than expected. The rice was a disaster. Uncooked rice in a soup of watery stuff. Poured into a dish, and popped it in the microwave for 11 mins while I seared the chop on the new BS griddle and did a quick stir-fry for a side. 

Chop turned out beautifully! And the rice... actually turned out pretty damn good too. Cooked perfectly. In the microwave. I'm ashamed of myself. Would have loved to have done it on the BS, with some ham and egg included, but that would have taken more planning than I am capable of this week. 

Ideally, I should have set up the Anova for the rice, at 185°F I guess. Thoughts? Has anyone cooked SV rice? I found a recipe for risotto, but didn't really have time to do much research. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    caliking said:

Was in a rush, had an idea, knew I wasn't executing it properly, but figured "fvck it... I'll try it anways".

Had time to stop by the house for lunch, so set up a THICK (4")pork chop from our recent Charcutapalooza shenanigans in the SV at 140°F at about 2:30pm. Target was to eat at 6pm.

Took a cup of jasmine rice, 1.5 cups of water, pinch of Chinese five Spice powder, a few shakes of Tsunami Spin, 1 tsp of Better Than Bouillon Chicken base, 1 cup of frozen mixed veg,  splash each of mirin, sesame oil,  rice wine vinegar, and fish sauce. The fried rice operation went into a gallon ziploc bag, displaced the air, then into the SVS Demi. Vac-sealed pork chop on top. Weighted down with some plates so things wouldn't float. 

Afternoon ended up being crazy busy, so got home later than expected. The rice was a disaster. Uncooked rice in a soup of watery stuff. Poured into a dish, and popped it in the microwave for 11 mins while I seared the chop on the new BS griddle and did a quick stir-fry for a side. 

Chop turned out beautifully! And the rice... actually turned out pretty damn good too. Cooked perfectly. In the microwave. I'm ashamed of myself. Would have loved to have done it on the BS, with some ham and egg included, but that would have taken more planning than I am capable of this week. 

Ideally, I should have set up the Anova for the rice, at 185°F I guess. Thoughts? Has anyone cooked SV rice? I found a recipe for risotto, but didn't really have time to do much research. 
    Rice needs to steam doesn't it?  I use a rice cooker with a delay start.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

Either boiled or steamed, but I'm guessing what you mean is that the SV temp was too low to cook the rice. i think I kind of knew that, but still wanted to try it. The risotto recipe I found SV'ed at 185°F, so I was wondering if that might work. Will try it some time.

And it is my eternal shame that I don't own a rice cooker. its a long story, the gist of which is that SWMBO puts up with a lot of my sh!t, but put her foot down at buying a rice cooker. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Either boiled or steamed, but I'm guessing what you mean is that the SV temp was too low to cook the rice. i think I kind of knew that, but still wanted to try it. The risotto recipe I found SV'ed at 185°F, so I was wondering if that might work. Will try it some time.

And it is my eternal shame that I don't own a rice cooker. its a long story, the gist of which is that SWMBO puts up with a lot of my sh!t, but put her foot down at buying a rice cooker. 
    Rice cookers are super nice to have.  One trick pony, but if you do a lot of rice they are great.  Maybe during the rub exchange one will show up ;)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Rice cookers are super nice to have.  One trick pony, but if you do a lot of rice they are great.  Maybe during the rub exchange one will show up ;)
    Insta pot, or some version thereof. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've used this rice cooker for over ten yrs now.  Perfect rice every time.  It stays plugged in until the rice is gone (several days) - rice on demand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007J5U7/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w
    Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    blasting said:

I've used this rice cooker for over ten yrs now.  Perfect rice every time.  It stays plugged in until the rice is gone (several days) - rice on demand.

I lust after the Zojirushi!  Top knotch kit there.  I have a $25 special from Costco.
  • caliking
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Don't get me wrong - I know how to cook  rice. My peeps would wither  away without knowing how to. Just curious about SV methods for cooking rice.

We stock about 6 different kinds of rice at all times , and they are in the regular rotation. All on the stove though. I even have funds which were generously gifted to me for the specific purpose of purchasing a rice cooker. But certain odds are insurmountable.

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    blasting said:

Do you cook brown rice in that?  If so, what measurements and setting?  I have one and haven't gotten it right yet!  Thanks.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    blasting said:

Do you cook brown rice in that?  If so, what measurements and setting?  I have one and haven't gotten it right yet!  Thanks.

@BBQBuddy  Sorry, can't help you.  I only do white rice - the jasmin.  I didn't know brown rice was tricky.  I'm sure the unit will easily replicate once you figure out your measurements.  Mine has never failed me 
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    185F is the magic min temp for veggies - it's a breakdown temp to make pectin, similar to collagen converting to gelatin.

Nice job experimenting, keep it up!
    edited February 2017
    Options
    185 according to this:
    http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2012/09/rice-is-nice-sous-vide-makes-it-simple/#sthash.2iQci7lE.dpbs

To be honest though, this isn't something I see a huge benefit of using the sous vide. You would need to get two baths going for the different temps, plus deal with the bag.  I would just cook it on the stove. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Danielson
    Options
    I have the identical Zojirushi rice cooker and agree it makes perfect rice each time. My fried rice is legendary among family and friends. Being Japanese I've found the secret to making fried rice is using day old rice, doesn't stick like fresh rice. 
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Danielson:

I agree that day old rice works much better than fresh rice...my problem is that I usually don't plan that far ahead, but when I do it is so good!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Stop being so hard-headed and just go get a electric pressure cooker. Yes I'm pressuring you to get electric pressure cooker. Have I mentioned how a good risotto from a electric pressure cooker is?

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Stop being so hard-headed and just go get a electric pressure cooker. Yes I'm pressuring you to get electric pressure cooker. Have I mentioned how a good risotto from a electric pressure cooker is?
    You really need to push harder on this. Continuously. 15 psi of pushing or so.
  • caliking
    Options
    185 according to this:
    http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2012/09/rice-is-nice-sous-vide-makes-it-simple/#sthash.2iQci7lE.dpbs

To be honest though, this isn't something I see a huge benefit of using the sous vide. You would need to get two baths going for the different temps, plus deal with the bag.  I would just cook it on the stove. 

That's the risotto recipe  I had found too ! Now I must try it :)

I agree that it would be a pain to set up SV #2 just for rice, but other veg could cook at the same temp. Kind of like having another egg for sides. I want to try this for "why-does-a-dog-lick-its-b@lls?" kinda reasons (because it can).

• caliking
    Options
    SSN686 said:
    Morning Danielson:

I agree that day old rice works much better than fresh rice...my problem is that I usually don't plan that far ahead, but when I do it is so good!

Yep. I'm in the very same boat.

• caliking
    Options
    texaswig said:

Don't even go there. If another pressure cooker comes in through the door, I'll be sleeping outside with all of them.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Adapt and overcome. Sign of a survivor. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SV rice is a great idea. I hate cooking rice. Like dancing to a beat it's just not in my genes. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle