Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10# pork loin smoking advice

Options
My brother in law's started up a
small cafe at his job and he's given me a 10# pork loin he'd like me to smoke up for it. Can these be turbo smoked at 350 or should I go low and slow at 250? And what temp should I pull ? This is going to be sold to coworkers and the public so I know they won't want the 140° pink in the middle. 

Comments

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    Pork loin is a lean cut and it does not benefit from low and slow. I generally cook that cut at 375/400* raised direct. I did try the 250* low and slow on a WSM and it turned out very dry. 
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would season with your favorite pork seasoning and cook indirect at 350ish till it hit 145° IT.  Very easy and rewarding cook. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    edited February 2017
    Options
    pab said:
    Pork loin is a lean cut and it does not benefit from low and slow. I generally cook that cut at 375/400* raised direct. I did try the 250* low and slow on a WSM and it turned out very dry. 
    That sounds about right to me. I'm tempted to just go buy a 10# butt and smoke that him because he wants this to Turn out like pulled pork. He's had my butts before and loved em but I don't think he realizes I used pork butts not loins.
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    I would season with your favorite pork seasoning and cook indirect at 350ish till it hit 145° IT.  Very easy and rewarding cook. 
    How about doing it like this but throwing some smoke woods in? Think that would work?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'm in the above 300 camp indirect. Lawyrs is good, i like hickory on my loins 2-3 chunks.  Also i like to trim all the fat off 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Mine turn out better low and slow. Easier to hit your desired temp. I usually cook them indirect at 225-250. Pull at 140. Let it rest. It wont be pink but will still be juicy. 

Little Rock, AR

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Powak said:
    pab said:
    That sounds about right to me. I'm tempted to just go buy a 10# butt and smoke that him because he wants this to Turn out like pulled pork. He's had my butts before and loved em but I don't think he realizes I used pork butts not loins.
    I don't know how you'd get a loin to turn out like pulled pork. If he wants pulled pork buy a butt and keep the loin.

loin sliced thin makes great sandwiches 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    Mine turn out better low and slow. Easier to hit your desired temp. I usually cook them indirect at 225-250. Pull at 140. Let it rest. It wont be pink but will still be juicy. 

That looks awesome! OK need some advice, I'm set to cook a small pork loin only about 1 lb. So, if I were to do it low and slow, how much time at say 200 degrees do you think it would take. I don't want to toast it! Also, do you sear it on all sides first to lock in the juices? Thanks!