Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BGE and Table build!

Options
I've been lurking here for a while and finally pulled the trigger on a large BGE.  I had some scrap 6x6 and 4x8 rough cedar for the base and used cedar 2x4's, 1x12's and 1x4's for everything else.

Comments

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Looks awesome! welcome
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Great table.  Very cool lights.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    That's fantastic! I dig the lights. Congrats!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I love the green lights. Makes the table look great. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• eightyfive
    Options
    Awful. Looks terrible.
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • eightyfive
    Options
    Not really. looks amazing. I'm just angry I can't do it. That thing is mint. great job, dude.
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • eightyfive
    Options
    Wife says you can fly to Boston and make us one. Something about "he must be a real man"
  • patrickcudd
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Table is a beast!  Btw, get something under that egg for air flow or you'll experience a fire soon.  I recommend a "table nest" on top of your granite stone.
    I thought from what I read that the paver/granite would suffice in lieu of a table nest?
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited January 2017
    Options
    No way, the heat transfer through the brick will ignite your table over time.  Table nest lifts the egg to form an air gap to help convect the heat away.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • plandreth
    Options
    I need opinions here. AWESOME TABLE. I have heard both ways....nest as well as no nest. I use my egg daily and crank it up. I have yet to feel the stone get even hot to the touch. Has anyone experienced this?
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Awesome setup! Welcome to the club, that table is legit.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    plandreth said:
    I need opinions here. AWESOME TABLE. I have heard both ways....nest as well as no nest. I use my egg daily and crank it up. I have yet to feel the stone get even hot to the touch. Has anyone experienced this?
    You may not feel the paver/stone getting hot, but the heat is being transferred directly from the bottom of the Egg through the paver/stone.  I've seen a lot of pictures posted on this forum of burnt wood tables.  The nest or BGE ceramic feet create an air gap that remedies the problem.  You can also buy the terra cotta pottery feet at Lowes that work as well.

@patrickcudd. Welcome to the forum.  Very nice table, now get to cooking and post some pictures.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Just damn!  That's a pretty table my friend!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Table is a beast!  Btw, get something under that egg for air flow or you'll experience a fire soon.  I recommend a "table nest" on top of your granite stone.
    I thought from what I read that the paver/granite would suffice in lieu of a table nest?
    It is better than directly on wood.  Pavers sorta ok - granite not so much.  Granite transmits heat faster than concrete pavers which transmit heat faster than fire bricks.  All of these transmit heat an order of magnitude greater than air.  Air gaps are your friend.  Its all about risk reduction and your personal comfort level with fire risk.  What chance of fire are willing to accept and what are the consequences of a fire in the location you have your egg.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Markarm4119
    Options
    Great looking table !  Can double as a tornado shelter from the solid look of it!
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Very nice!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I think you could a few spacers under the granite to lift it, creating the air space.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I definitely agree with the need for a nest to get an air gap.

Aside from that.  Beautiful table.  Love all the table top space.  A lot of the tables that get posted, especially the two egg tables have no table top space left to do work.  I love all the area you have to prep and to have things within arms reach.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bigalsworth
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    It is better than directly on wood.  Pavers sorta ok - granite not so much.  Granite transmits heat faster than concrete pavers which transmit heat faster than fire bricks.  All of these transmit heat an order of magnitude greater than air.  Air gaps are your friend.  Its all about risk reduction and your personal comfort level with fire risk.  What chance of fire are willing to accept and what are the consequences of a fire in the location you have your egg.  
    When using a table nest you can think of air in the air gap as a fluid instead of an insulator, the air flows through and removes heat, it does not insulate.  For air to insulate it has to be in a closed system with no ability to move, like between windows.  The outcome is the same, heat does not get to whats below, and jtcBoynton is right that gaps are your friend and risk reduction is key.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Fsandy
    Fsandy Posts: 3
    Options
  • EpicCajun
    Options
    That is one hell of a table! Looks bad ass and I love those lights. 
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Very nice. I thought the same thing about the paver, until I started to look into it and realized that can happen. Now I have a paver and table nest sitting under my egg. 
    Madison, AL
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    RE: Paver and need for air gap. 

Even if you didn't have safety concerns about using the granite only, the lack of air gap will singe your beautiful table, which may be reason enough to employ the gap. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Great work on the table and welcome aboard!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va