Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4-0 festivities, some of my favorite things

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum

20lb subprimal, aged 2 wks wet, 4 wks dry.  Minimal trim job right up to the meat.  Ends were diced for steak bits on the morning breakfast tacos. The fat will be ground in burger.

Started it off with Newcastle and Laphroaig.

Kid couldn't hang.

Inspired by Mallmann, made a paste of good EVOO, oregano, thyme, rosemary, calabrian, white pepper, kosher.  Fuel was black cherry on the karubecue, dialed her in to cycle from mid 160s to low 200s.  Pulled at 120, both clean and dirty poppets open for the 4 hour duration.  Tossed on some La Quercia Picante prosciutto wrapped asparagus at the 2.5 hr mark.  Basted the roast with a little bit of EVOO a couple of times.  Weather was awesome, wore a t-shirt outside all day, 

So damn good.

My other nephew the la quercia hog, was hanging around the prosciutto, ate a bunch during assembly, and couldn't wait for supper.  Glad I accounted for this at the counter....turd.

Used a nice red wine orange sauce from Cook's Country.  Pops has no teeth, so I held off on the potatoes a la boulangerie.  It will be revisited.
https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/8588-prime-rib-and-potatoes

Amazing stuff.  Sub'd roasted garlic, and added a half t or so of xanthan gum to thicken slightly, almost to gravy.  Came out perfect.  Went with Ree Drummond's mashed taters.  Added roasted garlic, rosemary, thyme, and Berkie bacon bits at the end.  
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/creamy-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

One of the best plates of grub to come out of my kitchen.  

They should be the ones cooking for me on my birfday damnit! Lol

Cheesecake Factory All American was dessert, followed by puzzle and Uncharted time.

A beautiful, fun filled fruitcake day.

As always,
Thanks fer lookin'.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wow! Good, no great day for you and yours. That roast is second to none! Any pro would be jealous. Love the wrapped asparagus too. One question, how many cheesecakes did you destroy? One? Two?  
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Great day and great cook! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Options
    Wow! Good, no great day for you and yours. That roast is second to none! Any pro would be jealous. Love the wrapped asparagus too. One question, how many cheesecakes did you destroy? One? Two?  
    Thanks buddy, lol...only one after that meat coma.

The Hy Vee that carries La Quercia, started carrying the Cheesecake Factory line last month.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:

The Hy Vee that carries La Quercia, started carrying the Cheesecake Factory line last month.

Local QC?
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That roast looks outstanding. Y'all have me convinced I need to try aged beef. That's a great cook and good times with family for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

Local QC?
    Yeah Milan, IL.  Pronounced Mah-lahn. Hahahaha
    You guys need a Hy Vee in Sterling/Rock Falls.
    Surprised the haven't set up shop.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Local QC?
    Too small and Walmart's. it sucks! We are abused out here! Ha ha 
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Local QC?
    Man, that is sucky.
    Do you have Fareway?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Great day and great cook! 
    Thanks Hans.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Local QC?
    Man, that is sucky.
    Do you have Fareway?
    Hell no. Kroger and county market. That's it except Wally worlds. Had a jewel in Dixon for a while they left. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    Congrats on the milestone.  At 4-0 you can look ahead and figure I have more than half my life in front of me.  That logic is definitely in the rear view mirror at the big 5-0 and beyond.  Great cook and celebration.
    That dishwasher can crank out some great groceries.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    That roast looks outstanding. Y'all have me convinced I need to try aged beef. That's a great cook and good times with family for sure. 
    Thank you @SciAggie, it was a nice day.

Jump in, the entire process is stupid easy.

1.  Age

2.  Smoke to desired IT, in this case 120

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    What are you going to do at 5-0?? You got your work cut out. Better get to planning. I would take the day and start Monday! Cheers Brandon!
  • Focker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Congrats on the milestone.  At 4-0 you can look ahead and figure I have more than half my life in front of me.  That logic is definitely in the rear view mirror at the big 5-0 and beyond.  Great cook and celebration.
    That dishwasher can crank out some great groceries.  
    Thanks so much cap, a good way to reflect for sure.

This was an ideal cook on the dishwasher.  
    Low temps, 4 hrs in karubecue smoke is different.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Gitty up! Wow that looks amazing
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Gitty up! Wow that looks amazing
    Thanks bud.
    Snuck in a Berkshire sesh today.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Those look almost as good as the PR. Almost. That PR is some of the best I've seen. Cheers!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks like we share a birthday and you turned out some amazing grub!  Happy birthday youngster.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Options
    Those look almost as good as the PR. Almost. That PR is some of the best I've seen. Cheers!
    Thanks Pete.
    Was cleaning out the magic box this morning for the ribs, and noticed an asparagus spear fell down to the bottom.  I ate it. Lol  NO LA QUERCIA GETS LEFT BEHIND!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I want that for my last meal!!!!

And I want you to cook it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Focker
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Looks like we share a birthday and you turned out some amazing grub!  Happy birthday youngster.
    Thanks Brent, right back at ya.  :)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Happy belated Birthday, buddy! Spread looked and sounded great! 

May you have many more birthdays! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:
    Thanks Pete.
    Was cleaning out the magic box this morning for the ribs, and noticed an asparagus spear fell down to the bottom.  I ate it. Lol  NO LA QUERCIA GETS LEFT BEHIND!
    That's hilarious and a bit disturbing. Lol. 
  • Focker
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I want that for my last meal!!!!

And I want you to cook it.
    Thanks much.
    Have to admit, it aint me...it's the magic box.  I just plug it in, and keep adding wood.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Happy belated Birthday, buddy! Spread looked and sounded great! 

May you have many more birthdays! 
    Thanks, appreciate it my friend.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Thanks Pete.
    I know!  Thing is, I didn't even hesitate, not even for a second.  Lol
    And it was pretty good with the morning coffee.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Wow, great effort all around and handsome family too. Must have been a wonderful day.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Thanks Pete.
    If you catch something, at least you know a lot of really good health providers. Right? Lol
  • Focker
    Options
    Wow, great effort all around and handsome family too. Must have been a wonderful day.
    Thank you, it was a nice weekend, weather was ideal for the stickburner.
    Back to reality/work tamara.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Thanks Pete.
    If you catch something, at least you know a lot of really good health providers. Right? Lol
    Good point.  I know just enough to be dangerous. Hahahaha

They were awesome, put this sign and coupons on my computer screen.  

We went out to the pub, happy hour turned into 3. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities