Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken coop owners

Options
2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks guys for the feedback.
    The coop section is 7x3.
    Would have no problems running 4 hens.

My brother is in the process of building poorfish's Mini Cooper.  Will wait, and see if I should go with a permanent coop vs tractor.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    Options
    here's mine.  6 chickens,  1 rooster, and 8 rabbits.  also solar powered.
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options

I'm out in the country so my coops are larger than backyard size.  My year-round coop is 7x14, insulated with electricity.  It's also got an attached 8x20 covered run.  At present I've got 6 hens in there but I've had as many as 30.  I free range them except in winter. 

I had ventilation problems my first winter.  Whatever you build, make sure it's "airy" but draft free.  I had to cut vents in mine in sub-zero weather to fix it.   

With a small amount of hens I like to use a heated pail for water instead of a heated font.  I found those to freeze up where the pail doesn't.  I also have lights on a timer.  Right now they come on at 3:30am and turn off at 8am.

One of the best tips I received was to coat the floor with gloss oil enamel paint.  It cleans up much easier when it has a coat or two of that.  I got mine from the county's recycling center for free.  It's nasty tan in color but it gets covered with pine shavings so I didn't care.      

Glencoe, Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    my brother keeps a half dozen. no heat, no water once theres snow on the ground, hardiness zone 5b, -10f to -15f degrees southern new hampshire
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just saw this $595 Chicken Tractor at the feed store. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Just saw this $595 Chicken Tractor at the feed store. 

That seems like a lot of money for a small coop.
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I sunk six or eight fence posts and put 3/8 CDX on it for about a for by eight with a shed roof with tar paper. Six foot chicken wire for the outside and had to put a top on to keep the chickens from flying out. Once built the coop out of logs (scrap from clean up) and again chicken wire.
    Electricity? Heater? These are chickens.
    After the last batch was gone one sex link hen escaped. She lived in the doghouse with the dog. Go out to feed and water the dog on a very dark winter night and have something big and totally invisible fly up in your face. (For those non-chicken people, sex link hens are totally black.) It would wake me up quickly. Home grown eggs are bigger, tastier and when cracked in the skillet stand up nice and high.
    Don't wash the eggs and they last longer.

The old hillbilly

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • Focker
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, appreciate the advice.

Think I'm gunna hafta move this project back one notch, and give my Chevy the much needed Alpine and Polk treatment instead.  

Help my brother build his, and take notes...and get his eggs for now.  Will most definitely revisit all of this.  Still undecided on free range tractor vs coop.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Just remember, where there are chickens, there is chicken $hit
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:

Think I'm gunna hafta move this project back one notch, and give my Chevy the much needed Alpine and Polk treatment instead.  

Help my brother build his, and take notes...and get his eggs for now.  Will most definitely revisit all of this.  Still undecided on free range tractor vs coop.
    That's a tough call. Fresh eggs VS. sweet tunes.  =)
  • Focker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Just remember, where there are chickens, there is chicken $hit
    Sound advice. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Focker said:

you dont have to go all out on a chicken coop, a couple old pallets torn apart made into a box, sme chicken wire and some staples. chickens are weather hardy, dont eat much in the winter, eat whatever they find, table scraps, some cheap feed. i would have them but my property is zoned wrong and theres no way to keep the raccoons out. raccoons, skunks, coyote/wolves, fisher-cats are abundant in my 0.1 acre homestead =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

I hear ya.  I can do it fairly cheap nowadays, working my way around an old '94. 

Prices have come way down with car audio stuff.  Will be nice not having cassettes.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:

you dont have to go all out on a chicken coop, a couple old pallets torn apart made into a box, sme chicken wire and some staples. chickens are weather hardy, dont eat much in the winter, eat whatever they find, table scraps, some cheap feed. i would have them but my property is zoned wrong and theres no way to keep the raccoons out. raccoons, skunks, coyote/wolves, fisher-cats are abundant in my 0.1 acre homestead =)
    Thanks fish, this thread will be revisited.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Just curious, why not just buy them from the store?   Eggs are fairly cheap and you don't have to deal with the smell, hassle, expense, etc.  

Or is this just another hobby, which I get if that's the case...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Just curious, why not just buy them from the store?   Eggs are fairly cheap and you don't have to deal with the smell, hassle, expense, etc.  

It's a prepper thing.  You know, when society collapses, at least you got eggs and chicken.
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

They taste better. I'm a store buyer, cause Ima lazy.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Once it becomes to cold for them to be outside, takem to the butcher :)
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RedSkip
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

It's a prepper thing.  You know, when society collapses, at least you got eggs and chicken.
    When soci ty collapses I'm going to Canada.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    RedSkip said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

When soci ty collapses I'm going to Canada.
    They'll be guarding their boarder and building a wall (and making Trump pay for it).
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

TBH, not sure I know what an egg tastes like.  Butter, cheese, ham, bacon, salt and pepper...that's the foundation of good eggs!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    RedSkip said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

TBH, not sure I know what an egg tastes like.  Butter, cheese, ham, bacon, salt and pepper...that's the foundation of good eggs!
    Hard to argue with that list, however, i often hard boil eggs and take them with me in the mornings or use them on salads. They really shine. I get some from our CFO at work, she's an avid gardener and small livestock type of gal. The yolks are quite rich, especially in the summer months when their diet is a little better round these here parts.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Hobby. I like having hens around. Ducks too, they are entertaining but get eaten more frequently, so got none at the moment.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

I hear ya.  I can do it fairly cheap nowadays, working my way around an old '94. 

Prices have come way down with car audio stuff.  Will be nice not having cassettes.  =)
    Some of my best music is on cassettes! Still have some 8 tracks, too.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia