Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the Small enough?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As my nick might suggest, I do not own an Egg right now, but am in the market for one. Reading through the forums the last few weeks has me pretty much convinced.[p]My main question is that if the small egg is good enough for cooking for 1-2 people. I love the idea of the mini, but would probably end up getting one of those for camping trips. The main reason for the small size is simply cost. The medium egg is a fair bit more than I want to spend right now, but the small I could make work financially.[p]My cooking would probably start out with burgers and steaks, but I want to get into smoking, possibly whole chicken, brisket, etc (small, of course), as well as whatever else I can find to throw at it.[p]Also, any opinions on what accessories are must have's?[p]Thanks for the input, and such a great community.[p]-Eggless

Comments

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    EgglessATM,
    If money is indeed the factor, then yes a small can do everything that you will need - on a smaller scale as you had mentioned. A lot of people have started on the small with great results.[p]To be able to smoke you will need to have a barrier between the coals and the food. To accomplish this a lot of us use Chubby's GrateMates which allows to complete this set up. There is a link on the Naked Dude's web site.[p]Go for it...you will not be sorry (execpt for the size but as the finances improve you will want to move up to a large)

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    The minis are great for camping and such....small...portable...e-z to work with...a solid product and large enough to feed 1 - 2 people for sure....But perhaps patience will prove to be a virtue if you take some more time...acrue some more cash....and go for the medium or even the large...[p]The medium and large will allow you to cook more food as needed...will allow you to cook multiple items at the same time....and will be even more versatile....Maybe not so compact and mobile....But you'll likely get more use...[p]Just my ideas....But whichever you choose....WELCOME![p]Ed McLean.....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    EgglessATM,
    The small is a great cooker. You can do the burgers and steaks as well as ribs, butts and chickens, pizza and breads. I find it a little more challening to work with than a large, but that could be because I started with a large. I would suggest that if you are wavering between a small and a medium, get a large if you can put the bucks together. I cook for two on a large all the time. Added the small (after my second large) when I wanted something I could carry.

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    EgglessATM,
    I started with a large, after thinking about it for two years. Then I liked it so much I went and got a small. Now I use the small more than the large, except for low on slow on long cooks and lots of meat. Last night I cooked 6 veal cutlets on it and had plenty of room. Whole chicken, no problem. 5 ribeyes, no problem. 2.5 pound beauxburger, no problem. If you are using it for the main course it is plenty big for 4.