Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's been a while - beef short ribs

Options
bosco0633
bosco0633 Posts: 383
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
a friend has given me a pellet grill to play with so I wanted to make the best of it.  Over the past 6 years I have learned how great the Kamado is and that it is like the Swiss Army knife off BBQ.  lately I was curious to try something new and really don't have the time or energy for the offset.  

This isn't a ceramic cook but I haven't posted here in a bit and was pretty pleased with the results and thought I should share them with my friends here.  

4 shorts rubbed lightly in EVOO then hit was some meat church holy cow.   They were wrapped in plastic and spent the night in the fridge.  

Smoked these at 250 for 7.5 hours with cherry wood pellets.  The smoke penetration was absolutely incredible on these ribs.  

Comments

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Wow, I'm starving now!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Gorgeous

I need to get some Holy Cow!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You win!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    That looks fantastic - great looking meat and pics.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    What brand of pellet cooker did you use. Looks great. 
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    The smoke ring is amazing.......and the photos with presentation are show quality, good job.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    Wow. I have been thinking of getting a pellet smoker. . . These pics sure push me closer to the buy direction! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Glad to see you back here posting, your food always looks magazine quality.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bosco0633
    Options
    I love my Kamado grills but this pellet grill is an excellent addition to the heard.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Very nice. Those ribs look fabulous. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Thanks so much 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Wow

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bosco0633
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Glad to see you back here posting, your food always looks magazine quality.  
    thanks, kids hockey keeps me busy in the fall and winter.  My BBQ time drops considerably.  
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

YUM!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    BGE or not, I don't care if those came out of SGH's anus, they look unbelievably good!
    Stillwater, MN
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looks great
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,195
    Options
    Awesome cook and pictures!  Thanks for sharing.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bosco0633
    Options
    BGE or not, I don't care if those came out of SGH's anus, they look unbelievably good!
    this had me in stitches lol!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    nice cook bosco . . love your posts.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Thanks @NDG I really do enjoy this forum it has great people that love food as much as I do
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Those ribs look incredible. I have a question - do you just pull when tender (buttah)? The last ribs I cooked were a bit disappointing - they were a bit dry. It seems like I over cooked them. I cooked them at about 250-275 until the Thermapen was probing tender; then I pulled them, let them rest a bit and wrapped in foil maybe 15/30 minutes till time to eat. 
    I'm not sure if there was just a lack of fat in that particular set of ribs or if I was at fault. In any case congrats on a great cook.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bosco0633
    Options
    @SciAggie probe tender is a guide for me but I also still like 195 more often.  I find probe tender can be 205 which becomes a hit and miss for me.  

In my Kamado I have began adding a water source when I cook again.  Kind of like my old WSM days. I think the Kamado makes an excellent moisture environment, however, it is still not enough on its own in my opinion.  I add a small stainless bowl of water onto the grill beside the meat.  This just ensures that the environment is moist. 

These ribs were on a metal pellet grill with -15 temps outside the other day.  I added that water bowl and over the 7.5 hours of cooking about half the water evaporated.  

Im not saying that you must add a water pan but experiment.   I have also taken to spraying my pork ribs during cooks too.  I use a 3:1 mix of apple juice to cider vinegar every hour.   This also keeps the moisture for me.  Some people say that is not needed and that opening the lid is a bad idea during a cook.  I look at it as yes I am opening the lid for 20 seconds but I am adding moisture so who cares.  

Anyways I am no BBQ expert, I'm just a guy that continues to change variables to find what works.  These beef ribs were the best I have done yet but I am sure I will work on doing better.  Next time I will place more emphasis on the bark. It wasn't as darkened as I would have liked but close...
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bosco0633 I hear ya about experimenting. My beef ribs have been hit or miss - but man when they are good they're incredible. I just hate feeding the family the misses. Thanks for getting back to me.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon