Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for those with a flameboss

Options
When do you attached?  Do you attach the FB as soon as your lump is lit?  Or do you let the egg reach a certain temp (say 200 if you are shooting for 250 cook temp) before attaching?
Roanoke, VA
Large BGE Owner

Comments

• OhioEgger
    Options
    It probably doesn't make much difference, but I normally get it going when the egg is about 50 degrees short of target.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've done it both ways and either works. Usually I'm too busy to just sit around and wait, so I attach it right after I get the fire going and go do what I gotta do.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Either way.....

If you're going to use it to help start, make sure you undershoot the temp by at least 50F and step it up 10-15 at a time.  Otherwise you're risking an overshoot.  Sometimes it won't, but if you do overshoot, there's no bringing it back down.....so don't risk it.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I've only used it once but I used it from the start. I always have put my probes in when my meat goes on the grill. My next cook is  going to be  low'n slo pork butt so thanks for the tip @stlcharcoal

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I wait until I am about 50 degrees short of my desired temp since the main time I use it is during lo and slo's, so when I plug it in sooner, it seems like it takes forever to get to temp.  I definitely wait until the flames are gone before I set it up to protect the probe.  I have also used it to get to temps for shorter cooks if I am in a hurry or just have too many other things going on to worry about what is going on with the temp prep, and then disconnect it when I start cooking if I feel I don't need it any longer.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I start my cube, let it go for 10-15 min then start the FB

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The Digi Q, and now FB, are reserved for overnighters.

Have overshot both the egg and WSM, and learned to start the fire, wait for good smoke, add meat, run manual to target temp, plug in controller, back down the vents, turn in for uninterrupted sleep.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    I'll start the fire in one spot, wait for a softball sized spot of glowing coal, add all of the hardware and let the FB take it to temp and stabilize.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS