Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another boring batch of smoked cheese

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,533
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
perfect weather, why not, maple pallets and pecan chips in rusty soup can, ignited by soldering iron. smoked for just under two hours.

canuckland

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Looks awesome!   It's that time of year for sure.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nothing boring about that cook.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Perfect weather indeed. What's that white stuff out there?? :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    it's white gold for the winter road maintenance contractors  =)   reminds me of the Italian bakery owner in England way back when, he called flour white gold!
    canuckland
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Sweet. Gotta try that this weekend. Got a bit more snow than you do from the looks of it. You just used pellets and chips, no charcoal?  Do you leave the iron in the whole time?
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I got lots of snow too, this was done before the big snow Sunday night.  No charcoal, sometimes I use chips only. Once the smoke is established I turn it off/on every 10 minutes or so, not sure if that reduces fuel consumption but it reduces generated heat somewhat.  It's a small 30w iron. I roll the can occasionally to 'settle' the chips, didn't need to refuel this time just watch and refuel if needed. Here's an old thread with clearer pictures...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188995/cold-smoking-cheese-with-soldering-iron-pic-heavy-forum-oldtimers-may-find-this-boring
    edit: keep a small gap between the can and the plastic handle, don't ask how I know  :)
    edit2: my can is really rusty and about to break at the 'hinge', my next one will be lidless and I'll use it vertically, with 1 hole near the bottom and another one couple of inches above it ... it'll be easier to see what's left, to fill/refill and shake down.  I can also move the iron to the higher hole and access fresher chips.
    canuckland