Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to get fresh turkey?

Options
So as a quick summary I wanted to dry brine a turkey at thanksgiving but didn't want to buy one just to mess it up. So I bought a fresh chicken and tried it and it was wonderful. Well I went to go try and find a fresh turkey at my local United grocer and they didn't have anymore. All of the other turkeys were frozen which isn't a huge deal but they are all "enhanced". Anyone know where to get an unenhanced turkey when not around thanksgiving?

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Maybe give a local market or butcher shop a try?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    A local farmer or in the woods? Any dead farm raised turkey shipped across state lines has to frozen (according to the butcher I talked with).
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    Our local farmers markets have several vendors, who will even deliver to your door a few days before Thanksgiving
  • HellrodKC
    Options
    my local grocery store has them year-round. Talk to your normal store and see what they can do.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I don't have a local butcher. Just the regular meat cutters in the grocery store. I will continue to keep searching. Thanks again. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    rholt said:
    Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I don't have a local butcher. Just the regular meat cutters in the grocery store. I will continue to keep searching. Thanks again. 
    You didn't say where you are located which might help solve your problem.  In our area we have several local farms that sell fresh turkeys.  Our local Giant Market has their own brand called "Natures Choice" which they had on sale around Thanksgiving and I have been told they will have them again next week for Christmas orders.  They were 99 cents/pound and came with a $5 off discount.  We liked the one we had and will get another next week.

If you put your location in your signature, it will always be included in your posts.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    A local farmer or in the woods? Any dead farm raised turkey shipped across state lines has to frozen (according to the butcher I talked with).
    Not true.  We get not frozen turkey here in FL that come from out of state.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Is there any poultry farms in your area?  There is a turkey farm not far from where I grew up.  We get ours there for thanksgiving.  This year we waited too long and got shut out.
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The thread from yesterday about D'Artagnan got me to visit their site. They do ship fresh, but the cost is significant.

Perhaps check out the Local Harvest web site and see if there is anything within a reasonable distance from you. Also, I think Whole Food$ offers fresh turkeys by order. If there's one near you, the bird will probably be less costly than D'Artagnan, but still fairly expensive.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Wholefood's if you have one in your area.  You will just need to pre-order it 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Thanks guys. I live in west Texas so most of the turkeys around here are of the wild variety. Fingers crossed that some pop up in the next week or so in preparation for Christmas. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I've flushed two of them hunting in recent weeks.  Too far to get a shot plus I had in #8 for much smaller birds. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • NonaScott
    Options
    rholt said:
    So as a quick summary I wanted to dry brine a turkey at thanksgiving but didn't want to buy one just to mess it up. So I bought a fresh chicken and tried it and it was wonderful. Well I went to go try and find a fresh turkey at my local United grocer and they didn't have anymore. All of the other turkeys were frozen which isn't a huge deal but they are all "enhanced". Anyone know where to get an unenhanced turkey when not around thanksgiving?
    Did you ask the butcher if he could get you one. Publix can get me one anytime in 3 days if I ask.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    https://www.heb.com/static-page/turkey-selection

Do you have an HEB near you?  Even if they only have frozen, they might not be enhanced.

It shows they have fresh on their website.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A live turkey.
    Options
    Got one from here. http://www.fossilfarms.com/

Cooking Christmas Day.  Will post cook and results.  A lot more than my local butterball that is for sure.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Available at Costco for $.99/lb.