Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in the cold

Options
Grambler
Grambler Posts: 153
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
I don't have a covered patio so trying to keep warm when egging this time of year can be a challenge. So other than drinking myself silly, do any of you have any thoughts on canopies or recommendations? I'd like one with removable walls and I guess vented on the top?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Winter snow just means you don't need a coolie for your beer!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use my kitchen. However, it does not have removable walls.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    With Egging you don't have to stand right by the grill with most cooks.  Get a Smokeware cap to keep rain out, and you've got a nice set up for cooking in any weather.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

If you have a nook out of the wind this can help
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    If it's got removable walls will it really do anything for the cold?  My FIL got one of these for us, works if we go camping or I can wheel it over to the egg if needed.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    Acn said:
    If it's got removable walls will it really do anything for the cold?  My FIL got one of these for us, works if we go camping or I can wheel it over to the egg if needed.

Well, it will warm up....so the removable walls would be for when its just raining. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    1. Run out, light the egg
    2. Run out set the vents
    3. Run out, add the food
    4. Run out, flip the food
    5. Run out, probe the food
    6. Run out, retrieve the food 
    7. Plate and snap a pic of food
    8. Enjoy food
    9. Post pic of food
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would wear a warm coat.

I light one of these when it gets below 68° (freezing around here)
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Grambler said:
     other than drinking myself silly
    Wait a minute! You say that like it's a bad thing.  =)

Seriously though, one of the things I like about the BGE is that I only need to go out and tend it for a short time now and then. 95% of the time it takes care of business just fine by itself. Mine is close enough that I can read the dome thermometer from indoors, which helps my peace of mind, or sometimes I'll just use the Maverick and read the temperature from wherever I am in the house.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Coat your skin liberally in vegetable oil and take pictures
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    My temps will hit -30C so there is no hope..... this doesn't stop me or the egg though
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:

Remember Ron, a Koozie serves two purposes:
    1. extends cold period of drink in the container
    2. keeps your damn hands from getting cold and wet!
    I would stick with the Koozies . I love  the pic. though. Sounds like we have more cold, crappy, and snowy weather heading our way tomorrow and Sunday. Great!  :o
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Nothing better than a couple feet of snow around the egg station. love egging in the winter.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Grambler said:
     other than drinking myself silly
    Wait a minute! You say that like it's a bad thing.  =)

Seriously though, one of the things I like about the BGE is that I only need to go out and tend it for a short time now and then. 95% of the time it takes care of business just fine by itself. Mine is close enough that I can read the dome thermometer from indoors, which helps my peace of mind, or sometimes I'll just use the Maverick and read the temperature from wherever I am in the house.
    The best virtue of the egg IMO.

Other than booze, I have a black heavy duty thermal Carhartt hoody and beanie, delegated for charcoal setup, cooking.  Keep the hands warm if needed by touching my eggs, or placing them by the dome hole if running 400 or more.

None of those cute, cheap, POS snap together gazebos/wind breaks stand a chance here with ol' man Winter.  Seems like more of a PITA than anything.

A headlamp really comes in handy for the shorter days too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Jameson19 said:

I light one of these when it gets below 68° (freezing around here)
    LOL, it rarely gets above 68° in my house!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    make sure its flame retardant, first time my dad played with the egg he melted the front in a flashback =) was perfect timing as well, i had just told him not to play with it, its not a toy. busted
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    RRP said:

A few years ago some idiot friends of mine went camping in Pisgah National Forest one night when there were record low temperatures recorded.  It didn't snow, it was just *COLD*.  Their beer would freeze unless they kept it in the cooler...which was full of ice.  One of them put a water bottle inside his sleeping bag that night in case he got thirsty, and it froze solid.

They didn't make it all night, ended up leaving at like 3am and found the nearest waffle house, ate, thawed out, then went back and broke down camp.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options

Just stand close to the egg, it'll keep you warm ;)
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Coat your skin liberally in vegetable oil and take pictures
    Or axle grease if you're in a dystopian situation.
    Options
    make sure its flame retardant, first time my dad played with the egg he melted the front in a flashback =) was perfect timing as well, i had just told him not to play with it, its not a toy. busted
    I melted a huge hole in my Arctix coat last year doing service on my BMW GS bike (exhaust system).  Sucked because it was brand new and expensive. Lesson learned.
    The best part about egging in the cold, snow and blizzard conditions....is watching it on tv from Vegas!
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nailed it!
    I even have a special 'smoking' jacket so my work and civi jackets don't smell like the grill. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:

Remember Ron, a Koozie serves two purposes:
    1. extends cold period of drink in the container
    2. keeps your damn hands from getting cold and wet!
    I would stick with the Koozies . I love  the pic. though. Sounds like we have more cold, crappy, and snowy weather heading our way tomorrow and Sunday. Great!  :o
    warm hands keep the beer from freezing when its really cold though =)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    I melted a huge hole in my Arctix coat last year doing service on my BMW GS bike (exhaust system).  Sucked because it was brand new and expensive. Lesson learned.
    exhaust on the ice auger will do that everytime. the exhaust on the wheeler though has a sweet spot to unthaw a guinness
    fukahwee maine