Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sell me on the BGE!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to purchase a new smoker. I have the bbq bug and want to get away from my cheap $50 brinkman smoker(more smoke comes out of the door of the thing than comes out the vents at the top). Anyway, i'm have narrowed my choices down between two smokers, a wsm or a medium bge. I really like the design of the bge and alot of people love them. But i have heard some people say that they tend to go out on long burns. Is there any truth to this? So i guess what i'm asking is this, is the bge such a superior product that i should spend about twice the money that a wsm costs?...If it is please sell me on the bge!....thanks...:)

Comments

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Brandon,
    My friend, you have come to a forum that will guide you to your next grill, smoker, oven,piece of art. The BGE can do everything your oven in the house can do with your choice of smoke flavor. You can low and slow,or sear at very high temps. NO other grill,smoker or oven will give you a life time warentee against wear.BGE will. I promise you will not wear this machine out. It burns relatively cheap lump charcoal. Not made for Kingsford charcoal or similiar charcoal. Never use anykind of lighter fluid. I will also tell you that you should purchase the large. Most people here will tell you the same. Go for the gusto. Step up into top of the line grilling. All other are just wanna be's. [p]Chef Jerry

• Brandon,[p]I am sure you will receive many wonderful opinions on the BGE subject, myself included, starting with a oriental version fron the vietnam era and moving up to a large and a small over the last 5 years. If you have the time to check this forum and archives over, whatever time frame you choose, you can draw your own conclusions, because we do not product compare or bash.
  • wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    Brandon,
    I think its a no brainer... get the Egg! I have had mine (large BGE)for 1-1/2 years and have done many overnight cooks and have never had it go out... one of those cooks ended up being 23 hours (~30lbs of butt)on a single load of lump. I don't believe you can get a WSM up to 700-800 deg. to sear steaks or even 550 to cook pizza. The ceramics of the egg add an element the WSM doesn't have... the ability to hold heat and maintain temps pretty much stable from about 160 deg. (for Jerky) to sear temps already noted. Your options are extensive and limited to only your imagination. Oh, and the best thing you get with the Egg is this forum and the wealth of knowledge from the kind folks who frequent the board. I cannot begin to tell you the how many times I have garnered information from this site that really helped me hit the ground running when I got my Egg. You also have the Eggfests where Eggheads get together and share food, ideas, reipes, etc.
    I haven't been to one yet but hope to get to Atlanta this October...maybe I will see you there...
    Get the Egg and join the club... you won't regret it a bit!
    wrobs

• ted
    ted Posts: 51
    Options
    I've had mine for a year and a half. It has never gone out on me. I have a large. Sometimes I wish I had a smaller one as I hate to light it for some quick cooks I have done but, overall, it probably is best that I got the large. I consider it worth what I paid for it.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Brandon,
    Cooking on Mr. Egg for 7 years now and I've never had a fire go out during a cook. There isn't much you cna't do with the Egg. Hang out for a few days and see for yourself. Oh, go for the large then you get the next size you think you need.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Brandon,
    The WSM is a fine cooker and you would be quite happy with one. The Egg is also a fine cooker and you would also be quite happy. I think you will find the Egg is more versatile in many ways such as cold weather performance and perhaps high temperature cooking. Old Dave has demonstrated that you can easily do pizza on a WSM, but you can do pizza on the Egg also. I don't think you will find that the Egg or the WSM is more likely than the other to go out. With either one you have to learn how to use it correctly. And for both the WSM and Egg both there is the option to buy a temperature control unit like the Stoker or the BBQ Guru if you find you have troubles with overnight cooks. Whatever you choose, you should be happy. Good luck on your choice from a 4-Egg owner. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Wow!!!...i'm impressed with the quanity and quality of the responses from my post......this forum alone is making me lean toward the egg...i am concerned about one other point about purchasing a bge....why is there such a huge disparity in the prices of the bge's by the different places that sell them. I was "eggspecting" (all this egg talk rubs off..lol) some difference in price, but not to the extent i've seen....Let me explain without giving too much info. about the people that sell the bge's.....i've gotten prices from 3 different places:
    company 1: small-$349,,,med-$589,,,large-$699
    company 2: med-$699...i didn't stick around to hear the prices on the rest of them...after i heard this price i ran out the door so quick i caught a rib rack with my shirt and pulled it on the floor...true story...lol
    company 3: small-$248,,,med-$297(nest seperate) large-$699...these prices were from a national bbq chain..i got them over the phone..so i hope the salesman knew what he was talking about..[p]why the huge differences in prices?

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Brandon,[p]Make sure you are comparing similar packages when shopping each retailer.[p]Here's an online dealer who offers good prices and sometimes has free shipping.[p]-Smitty

[ul][li]Hearthside[/ul]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Brandon,[p] My XL Large Egg lies shattered on my front porch. Yes I have not got enough nerve to clean it up. I cried when it broke. I cheered when the company took pity on my and is going to help me get Humpty Dumpy repaired at a more then reasonable rate.[p] Would I recommend people by the BGE. You bet I will. If I can swing it I will be buying another one soon after Humpty is repaired.[p] I love the quality of the food it cooked and I sorely miss it.

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    Brandon,[p]Let me start off by saying, you will love the BGE if you purchase one. [p]My top Ten List for Owning a BGE[p]1•Cooking and perfecting the foods you USED to make on your reg gasser or any other style grill, becomes a hobby. [p]2•It becomes something you live to do. [p]3•You like impressing your friends with what you can grill, bake, smoke, roast, charbroil, steam, etc........ [p]4• If you've read the posts you'll notice you start making things for your BGE. (I'm working on knitting it a sweater as we speak!) j/k[p]5•You start to dream about what you are going to cook next.[p]6•You start to think about what MORE that SAME night you are going to make minutes into starting to cook something else.[p]7•You join a forum that becomes your home away from home cause you want to read the next latest recipe from your fellow eggheads.[p]8•You plan on going to an Eggfest and tell your boss the date 2 months in advance.[p]9•You start staying up all night to babysit your MEAT, not because you have to, but because you want to. Torturing yourself because you can't open the lid.[p]10•You start taking more pictures of food than of your kids.[p]I'm sure we all have a Top Ten List, maybe even more.[p]
    On the problem you are having with pricing at different "National Chains", try to find that family owned business that loves what they sell. They don't sell just anything in their stores. It's just like you would search for your butcher that doesn't mind double grinding brisket for you.[p]•mojopin
    proud owner of a Large (2+years) and his cute friend Mini (6 months)

• Brandon,I have bought many things over time. After some pain, I am now convinced i will buy everything from a local place. That way, when i have problems, my store is close to me. "the sweetness of a low price is often soon replaced with bitterness of poor quality or service" i.e. you get what you pay for

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Brandon, when you ready, you'll know. The Egg needs no convincing to buy, eith you want the best or a converted trach can. Take your pick[p]

[ul][li]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/tach18k/ribs4th2_800.jpg[/ul]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Brandon,
    The WSM and the BGE are both fine cookers. I have both but I tend to cook on the Egg, in fact I haven't used the WSM since I got my first Egg. I haven't used either of my gassers either. If the occasion arrises that I need to cook 6-10 butts, the WSM will be back in service. The product from the Egg is moister than what I got from the WSM and the bark is different. But either produces great Q. I would really reccommend that you go with a large instead of the med. -RP

• AZRP
    Options
    wrobs,
    Actually, you can do all those things on a WSM. I didn't realize it even though I had been cooking on one for three years, old Dave set me straight. Don't get me wrong, the Egg is my prefered cooker but don't sell the WSM short. -RP

• AZRP
    Options
    AZRP,
    Check this out. -RP

[ul][li]WSM baking[/ul]
  • Brandon,[p]Welcome to one of the better forums on the web!! Looks to me like you have done your homework if you have come down to these two great cookers. I use both of these cookers and get great results out of both. The Whiz has covered this subject well and I would add that I think you would use the Egg more than you would use a WSM's as it is just more convenient to operate. If you live in a cold climate, it's a no-brainer as the Egg wins out in lousy weather.[p]Myself, plus many others on the forum have never had a fire go out on them so I wouldn't worry about this as there are methods to prevent this. [p]Last but not least, save up a few more coins and get the large Egg is you decide on this cooker. [p]Dave

• HickoryFlats
    Options
    Brandon,[p] You have narrowed it down to two fine choices. I have 2 WSM's and a Large BGE. The BGE is more versatile and easier to use on the spur of the moment. The WSM's hold more food and are probably more forgiving for beginners. I peresonally would not be without either for what I do. The important thing is to get Q'in. [p]Paul
    Hickory Flats BBQ
    Versailles, IN

• Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    I talked with the folks at Hearthside yesterday (8/2) regarding a back ordered plate sitter. Elizabeth informed me that Hearthside has already switched to Primo cookers because they couldn't get their calls and emails to the Mother Ship answered. Hearthside is dropping the BGE line. For what it's worth.[p]Bill

• wrobs
    wrobs Posts: 109
    Options
    AZRP,
    I have no experience with the WSM and was by no means trying to disparage the product. I based my comment on a Weber kettle I had that was terrible about holding temps stable for any length of time... I never tried to cook pizza and only ASSUMED (my fault) it might be difficult to do. Thanks for the insight into the versatility of the WSM.
    wrobs

• stakebone
    Options
    Brandon,[p]Just bought a large egg a month or so ago from a local retailer that had just started carrying the egg and offered "$100 off." Paid 599 (w/tax 650) for the egg alone. The medium was 499, again for only the egg. Went to BBQ Galore on the other side of town (Charlotte) for wood last week and saw it for the same price. A lot of places sell packages with accessories, but for my money I've found much less expensive alternatives for the egg brand accessories that are close to or as effective.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Brandon,[p]Your situation seems like it might be a lot like mine. Back in 2004, yet another metal grill became so rusted that I had to pitch it. Looking for something that would make better 'Q, I decided to try a water smoker. Being something of a cheapskate, I bought a Brinkman, just to see if the design worked well. I did get some of the best smoked chicken off of it I'd ever made, and even some passable ribs. But grilling was fairly difficult, and cleaning up the water pot pretty messy. And then, trying to cook once the snow fell was just impossible. So I was inclined to go with a ceramic cooker, or a heavy duty off-set. Both seemed quite expensive, so I put off the purchase.[p]Well, this spring as the heat began to swell, I called the nearest Egg vendor, learned they had a medium assembled and ready, and drove over to pick it up. Four hours later I was enjoying some of the best boneless baby back ribs I'd ever made. The Egg's versatility made every other cooker I'd had seem like a camp fire. And as far as an all weather cooker, I've managed to make three meals in the midst of heavy thunderstorms.[p]Oh, and I;d never even visited this forum until after I had the Egg. If I'd seen some of the fo0od photos posted here it would have really cinched the choice for me.[p]gdenby

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Brandon,[p]First off, what do you cook? Is smoking all you do? Do you grill? Is pizza out side of your interest? [p]The WSM is a great smoker and I really like Webber products. The WSM holds lots of meat, and requires a lot of attention. But that is all it does. [p]The BGE is the most vesatile and effecient outdoor, charcoal fired cooker out there. Because of the ceramic mass of the egg it makes up for mistakes you make. I don't know of another grill where you can sear a steak @ 1000 degrees, the next day smoke for 30 hours on one load of charcoal, the next day cook Pizzas that taste like they came out of a commercial stone oven, and the next day make casseroles or cobblers like a large oven.[p]Go to Eggfest and buy a large. Under $600 with all the basic stuff.
  • Brandon,[p]If you are located in the Atlanta area, go to the mothership and get a good price there.
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    Brandon,
    I have a WSM and learned my infantile smoking technique on it. Why did I buy a BGE? Well the temperature control is much easier on the BGE. It makes sense. The heated ceramic walls are much more stable than the metal walls of the WSM. There are people who can get the WSM to a stable temperature, but my experience was that I was always making minor adjustments. I have done several overnighters in my BGE. Of course it helps that I have a guru. I never got a guru for the WSM as I was worried about getting it sealed tight enough.[p]It is also difficult to go above 335 on the WSM and while I have never gone above 600 on my BGE out of fear of frying my egg, I have really been pleased with the temperature control on the BGE. After the WSM it is trivial.[p]Make no mistake, I think for the money the WSM is great, but, spend some more and you will be pleased....tom[p]BTW if you are near SLC, I have a WSM I could sell you. I'll even throw in 3 bags of original Kingsford. I am a lump convert also.

• chmoo
    chmoo Posts: 38
    Options
    Brandon,
    I started my large last Thursday night on a full load of lump and left it running at 225F until Sunday night with no intervention.[p]And it used waaay less charcoal than the WSM would. Add to that the fact that a properly maintained egg will outlive a WSM by a factor of at LEAST two to one and it's a no-brainer.

• dan
    dan Posts: 57
    Options
    HillbillyWilly,
    If anyone is looking for BGE parts and accessories we stock most and will ship anywhere. Let me know if we can help.
    Dan
    Appliance Sales and Service
    Shakopee, Mn
    952-445-2916
    danner@visi.com

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    mojopin,[p]Very good :)[p]Your "Top Ten" List is great![p]I can relate to everyone of them except #8. I'm my own boss.[p]

• Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    I talked with the folks at Hearthside yesterday (8/2) regarding a back ordered plate sitter. Elizabeth informed me that Hearthside has already switched to Primo cookers because they couldn't get their calls and emails to the Mother Ship answered. Hearthside is dropping the BGE line. For what it's worth.[p]Bill

• Eggin in Peoria
    Options
    Brandon,
    i haven't read all the posts so sorry if repeat. Do you want a smoker or do you want a full functioning grill, oven, smoker all in one. For me, it came down to the multi-purposeness and getting more out of my $.