Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Cook Tomorrow (Whole Chicken)

Options
I have a 5 1/2 pound whole chicken brining overnight for my 2nd cook. Can't wait to start.
I plan on doing the following:
Chicken dry brine overnight with brown sugar, salt, pepper (keeping it simple)
Set thermometer for bird temp at 160˚
Grill temp at 375˚
Will use the platesetter covered in foil and a shallow drip pan 
Grid on top of platesetter
Bird laying top up
Start fire in the front
Alder or Apple wood chunks soaked in water few chunks placed from front to back for continuous smoke
No opening the door until I get a reading of 160

Sound good? Any idea how long this might take? I am guessing 2.5 hours??
Thanks

XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• Jameson19
    Options
    If it's The Price is Right rules and your egg is stabilized, I'll guess it will take one hour and 45 minutes
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • tonkaegger
    Options
    I believe more like 1.5 hours at the most, but that is a big chicken.  Best of luck to you on your cook!
    Twin Cities, Minn. XL BGE, cheap barrel smoker and old Weber kettle

• sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Options
    Good to hear from you seasoned vets. I would either have people waiting for the chicken to cook or the chicken would be done and have to sit around an hour. I am logging in my cooks just help predict the final result.
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Even after pulling it out of the egg when done, a solid 30 minute rest will do it good 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • eightyfive
    Options
    The whole "foil wrapped platesetter" thing I see I posts always confuses me? What does that do? 
    Good luck on second cook! Knock em dead pal. 
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I would also pull at 155 or so... give it a good rest to set table and refill drinks. 

Also I wouldn't soak the chunks in water. They'll smolder just fine
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • sjm1027
    Options
    I believe it keeps it clean. I cooked a roast beef without foil last week and my platesetter looks like hell. 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    My platesetter and stone in the adj rig are black from smoke a fat drippings.... I say it adds character....

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • sjm1027
    Options
    Talked to a sales guy today at the store I purchased it at. He told me he cooks bread on the platesetter directly. I was going to try it but think it should be raised into the dome more. That's the only reason I was thinking of keeping it clean. 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    Talked to a sales guy today at the store I purchased it at. He told me he cooks bread on the platesetter directly. I was going to try it but think it should be raised into the dome more. That's the only reason I was thinking of keeping it clean. 
    Flip it over maybe? Like legs down and use parchment paper if it's dirty? 

Ive never done it, so that's just a guess. If I were to bake bread, I'd use a dedicated pan or my pizza stone. 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • sjm1027
    Options
    Yes he did flip it over to raise platesetter surface. 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    Yes he did flip it over to raise platesetter surface. 
    Sounds like a plan

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • sjm1027
    Options
    He also mentioned a pan of water but I can't figure out how he did the water with bread on platesetter. Typically you put water under the bread. 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    I've never used a water pan in the egg, but then again I've never baked bread in the egg. 

Hopefully some of the bread experts will weigh in on this

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • sjm1027
    Options
    Time for the report... 
    I grilled the chicken tonight. I used some hickory chips a few things I noticed different from last weekend was the cold weather made the egg act differently. Last week it was approx. 40˚ tonight was 28˚so I had to play with the bottom air vent a bit. Cooked chicken and acorn squash at 350 for 2 hours and let it rest for 20 minutes.. I couldn't wait any longer... It was the best chicken I have ever tasted BUT...
    Yes there a but... I had the probe in the whole time and brought the chicken up to 165. I took it off, brought it in the house to rest for 20 minutes. I cut into it and all looked great in the breast... towards the ass end it was a little pink... not sure why but it was... I ended up recooking a small portion of the chicken in the oven. Most of it was very good. Legs and ass end needed a 30 minute cook in foil. So my 2nd cook was not the greatest experience but definitely a learning experience. Thanks for all your help along the way.
    P.S. Acorn squash was great!   =)

• Jameson19
    Options
    Did you stick a temp probe in the pink part you cooked further? Did you have the temp probe in the center of the biggest part of the breast? 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Jameson19
    Options
    And almost forgot, nice looking bird. Squash too. Good work! 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • sjm1027
    Options
    That was my intent. I really thought I did. Wife want's to coach me on that next time.  :)
  • Jameson19
    Options
    sjm1027 said:
    That was my intent. I really thought I did. Wife want's to coach me on that next time.  :)
    Haha wow!   I think I'll let that be... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • sjm1027
    Options
    Ha, good idea!!  On to the next cook!!
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Good looking bird. I did a beer can chicken for my second cook. It turned out well. I did a spatchcock style roaster yesterday and don't see the need to ever do it differently going forward. It was done in less than 90 minutes and was "falling apart" tender.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    Good looking grub.
    we all learn as we go
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    sjm1027 said:I had the probe in the whole time and brought the chicken up to 165... towards the ass end it was a little pink...Legs and ass end needed a 30 minute cook in foil.
    @sjm1027 , I'm new to this and don't have near the experience on a BGE as others here.  But that's never stopped me from having an opinion.

1. If you spatchcock the bird, your uneven temps will be less.  (And it'll be easier to carve/serve.)
    2. I use the probe like you do, but also check several alternate spots w/ an instant read thermometer before pulling the bird.
    3. I don't use a platesetter for chikin, (but I do use a raised grid, approx level w/ the felt).  The bird juices dripping on the coals add a good amount of flavor.
    4. I cook a spatchcocked bird skin-side up, but turn it over for the last 10-15 minutes or so, to crisp up the skin.

Like I said, some or all of these may be bad ideas to others.  But they're what I do.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC