Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had to do it... the XXL!

Options
I've had a LBGE since just before Memorial Day this year. Over the summer, my wife and I would host neighbors for an open invite every Thursday for pot-luck dinners, with me smoking meat (pork shoulder, ribs, chicken, brisket, or a turkey). We found it to be a great, low-cost way to create a sense of community with those around us. We put it out there that everyone was welcome, regardless of whether they brought food/drink or not - which was really loved by those whose days spun out of control and had no time to prepare dinners.

But, over the summer, I found that the LBGE didn't quite have the cooking capacity I was looking to achieve with ribs. And... ribs are my favorite to cook (and eat). I've been seriously considering/debating the purchase of a second BGE that can increase my overall cooking output over the last couple months.

So, as it happens, a local (Maryland/Virginia) outdoor/indoor furniture store (Offenbachers) is currently going out of business and all their inventory, including their BGE products, is significantly marked down. Checking in at the location near me, they only had an XL (which is missing the fire ring) and an XXL in stock. I've been keeping a close eye on the markdowns over the past few weeks and today... I added the XXL to my cooking arsenal.  It's completely ridiculous how big the XXL is when sitting next to my LBGE; but, it's going to be so much fun breaking this beast in... this might provide me with the cooking capacity I need! <evil grin>

Note: The stone is a temporary set-up until we can get a deck & patio built. I'm just waiting to hit the lottery before we can actually afford to get all that (including an outdoor cooking station to house the Eggs) built.

Happy Smoking, Everyone!
Low Country EggHead
Charleston, South Carolina
Large BGE (2016-05) & XXL BGE (2016-11)

Comments

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Aw man.. hell of a steal... I bought my LBGE from offenbachers in sterling.. got the email about them going out of business and I'm mad I can't get up there to check it out as I've relocated to Hampton roads... im jealous lol
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Awesome!!

chuckled at the priority list of deck or patio for grills but adding to the grill rotation!!

hope it brings plenty of fun to the home 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Congratulations! Nice to see that it's found a home where it will truly get used. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Aw man.. hell of a steal... I bought my LBGE from offenbachers in sterling.. got the email about them going out of business and I'm mad I can't get up there to check it out as I've relocated to Hampton roads... im jealous lol
    A lot of their BGE inventory is already gone. If there's an EGGcessory you have your wish list, give them a call to see if they have it in stock. You're only a few hours away being in Hampton Roads... well, assuming I-95 isn't a complete cluster. Regardless... happy smoking!
    Low Country EggHead

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I've been eying one myself. I'll be looking forward to seeing your cooks on it. Might help me pull the trigger. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Go big or go home. I guess you did both! Congrats. Can I be your neighbor? =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BilZol said:
    I've been eying one myself. I'll be looking forward to seeing your cooks on it. Might help me pull the trigger. 
    I've been quiet on the posting front over the summer/fall; but, I'll try to remember to share some cooking adventures moving forward.
    Low Country EggHead

• Firemanyz
    Options
    How much is their stuff discounted?  What store did you make your purchase at?  How bad did you hurt them for the XXL?
  • Firemanyz said:
    How much is their stuff discounted?  What store did you make your purchase at?  How bad did you hurt them for the XXL?
    Their Columbia, MD location is local to me; but, I've been calling all their locations over the past few weeks.  Their inventory is at 40% off now - and they have some really nice stuff aside from the BGE stuffs.  One staff person indicated they may start tagging Wednesday afternoon/evening for an additional reduction for Black Friday.  I probably could have waited a bit longer for another reduction by going in close to closing time on Wednesday if things were already tagged; but, I have to work on Wednesday and Friday and... well, I just couldn't pass on the reduced price knowing it's a long-term investment with rapidly growing Minis (and neighbors) to feed in the years to come.
    Low Country EggHead

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Congrats. Have a ball with it. 
  • CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    Options
    Will have to check them out again tomorrow. I went there a couple weeks ago and it was only 20% off at the time. Did they have any larges left?
  • CMH88 said:
    Will have to check them out again tomorrow. I went there a couple weeks ago and it was only 20% off at the time. Did they have any larges left?
    The LBGEs vanished at 20% off from what I was told.  You might find an XL or another XXL; but, anything smaller is gone.  There was one XL at the Columbia, MD location; but, it was being sold in combination with a custom table and it was missing the ceramic fire ring.  Good luck!

Low Country EggHead

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Wish I were closer.  I'd be TripleEgger if I could get another one for 40% off. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You have a marvelous wife!  I tried that "low-cost way to create a sense of community" argument with Wilma and got shot down in a blaze of glory!  She's a keeper, your wife is.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Wish I were closer.  I'd be TripleEgger if I could get another one for 40% off. 
    I gave my wife fair warning that there would be a second BGE in the backyard soon.  She took one look at it today and just stared at me saying, "You had to get the biggest one didn't you?"... I responded by suggesting there might be a bigger one out there somewhere.  She just walked off shaking her head.  Good thing Offenbachers has an 'all sales are final' policy for this going out of business sale.
    Low Country EggHead

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Nice acquisition. I want one so bad. Looking forward to your cooks on that monster. 
  • You have a marvelous wife!  I tried that "low-cost way to create a sense of community" argument with Wilma and got shot down in a blaze of glory!  She's a keeper, your wife is.
    I primarily started inviting neighbors over to get a bunch of cooks under my belt and experiment to see what worked and didn't.  My wife was really hesitant in the beginning; but, I cannot trust the feedback from my Minis (4 and 2 years old - damn picky eaters) and my wife likes everything I cook (mainly because she doesn't cook -  LOL).  So, I just kept inviting people over and she kind of had to go along with the flow of things.  If it was too much socializing for her, she was free to go out and do her own thing while I hosted and tended to the Minis.  I just needed that honest feedback from others to get better and figure out what smokes and spices went best with different meats.  Looking back though, it was a hell of a lot of fun.  And... I really only had to cook on the LBGE while letting others deal with the non-sense of side dishes and desserts.  We have a great group of neighbors and I will happily start up the dinners again in the Spring and keep it going through the Summer.  Happy smoking!
    Low Country EggHead

• Bepier
    Bepier Posts: 22
    Options
    That outdoor kitchen is gonna rock!!  I would be excited to draw up some plans. 
    Cumming, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    That XXL is so big that I doubt a leashed dog could tip it over! 
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What were they asking for the XL with custom table?  I already have an XL but the table sounds nice at 40% off. 
  • Firemanyz said:
    What were they asking for the XL with custom table?  I already have an XL but the table sounds nice at 40% off. 
    I think the tag just for the table read that it retailed for something close $750 (that was when I was looking at it a couple weeks ago).  Knowing the XL was missing the fire ring, I kept my focus on the XXL and didn't really pay any more attention to the XL.  My friend who helped with the loading/unloading of the XXL saw today that the XL and table are being sold as a set; but when I asked if he knew how much, he said he didn't pay attention to the tag to see the combined price.  Give 'em a call... I'm sure they'll be happy to give you the details.
    Low Country EggHead

• That XXL is so big that I doubt a leashed dog could tip it over! 
    So not gonna test that theory.   ;)
    Low Country EggHead

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Most interested in how long it takes to stabilizie temps. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Congrats! Lots of fun and big cooks ahead. Enjoy. 
  • CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    I will most likely be stopping by in the late afternoon after work. I dont really need an XL unless they are giving it away. I'll report back after for everyone. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Congrats on a great find and score.  Gotta be quite a change up going from the L to the XXL.  Have fun sorting it out.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Congrats on the new family member.

I like the neighborhood dinner idea but those dogs listed in my signature would make it miserable for everyone. Still. if I can finish my backyard projects over the winter I may try something like this next spring.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Awesome for sure!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That's the kind of effort we like to see around here.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio