Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket using FB200

Options
dh7
dh7 Posts: 42
 I'm smoking a brisket at 250 using a FB200...the temp clip is on the grate and it shows 250 but the dome egg therm shows 270.  Which temp should I go by to smoke at 250 or do I attach the FB probe to the green egg probe.  Thanks   
Large Green Egg
Alfresco Gas Grill
Land O Lakes, Fl

Comments

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I have a Guru and I always attach the temp probe to the dome temp probe.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    I use the FB probe's temp because that's what is controlling the fan.

I'd Attach it to the grate or meat probe.  I've freaked out in the past when the fire moves to the front of the egg and that heat hits the dome thermometer directly.  Gives you a high reading.  

Good of luck on that cook!
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Ask ten people and you'll get 12 opinions. Here's mine: go with the FB200's clip probe on the grid.

All I can say for sure is that my cooking improved noticeably once I started paying more attention to the grid temperature and less to the dome. YMMV, but I'm sure your brisket will be fine either way.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    The meat is being cooked on the cooking grid. Go with the clip attached close to the meat on the cooking grid. Make sure the probe wires are routed on top of the platesetter legs, so that it is shielded from direct fire.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    The pit probes on any of these devices 9FB220 or Maverick or something else) should always report the temperature that the meat is exposed to. That generally means the temperature of the grate. Dome will usually be higher as heat pools in the highest location in the Egg.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    Grate temp .... but 250-270 is not huge difference.  Key is consistently use the same temp.  Then you can adjust accordingly . 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    If you want the temps to match, clip your FB200 to the bottom of the temp in the dome.  A lot of books will refer to the dome temp if you are using cookbooks, and most people around here from what I can tell, are talking about the dome temp as well when they give their instruction.

As someone else mentioned.....the difference between the two will not make a difference in your overall cook. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    The manual for the FB200 says to clip it to the grill grate.
    MiniMax 04/17

• dh7
    dh7 Posts: 42
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone, I stayed with the grate as many of you suggested.  Interesting after a period of time the dome and grate temp matched.  The brisket was fantastic!!  Love my FB200 and my green egg.
    Large Green Egg
    Alfresco Gas Grill
    Land O Lakes, Fl
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    My FB200 should be here Monday. Looking forward to using it  for a low and slow as well as for a thanksgiving turkey.
    MiniMax 04/17