Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have a basic turkey on the egg question

Options
i will be cooking my first turkey on the egg this year. I have cooked many turkeys in my life in the oven, in a charcoal smoker, in an electric smoker and deep fried. I will be cooking this 18 pund bird at factory grid level at 325 degrees. My question is should I put the throw away foil roasting pan on the plate setter then the cooking grid and put the turkey on the grid or put the turkey in the foil pan and put that on the grid. Thanks for the help.

Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'd put the pan on the plate setter below the bird to catch dripping for gravy 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Like Hans61says, drip pan on platesetter underneath grid.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    And put some spacers under the foil pan to help keep the drippings from burning. Foil balls will do nicely.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    There are a few turkey recipes that have the bird in the pan on the grid above the platesetter but if your approach doesn't need that set-up then just make sure you air-gap the drip pan (if on the platesetter) so the drippings don't burn.  And have fun with the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cbmontgo
    Options
    Does anyone put a water pan under the grid to add moisture to the air?
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    cbmontgo said:
    I don't. I've never used a water pan for anything on the egg. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @cbmontgo -  first up welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    The nature of the BGE lends to a very moist environment without a water pan as noted above. However, if you use a water/liquid pan remember that is acts as a heat-sink and will keep your temperature lower than for the vents setting if the pan wasn't there.  Thus if the pan empties during the cook then your temperature will naturally rise to the equilibrium for the non-pan vent settings.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • seal
    seal Posts: 13
    Options
    I've always put the bird in the pan and placed on the grid, and put a few vegetables inside the bird for added moisture and flavor.  Usually an onion, some carrots, and a couple of heads of garlic.  Not sure if it adds to the moisture level of the bird since eggs don't really dry anything out, but it sure does make the gravy drippings extra special.
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I see that you are planning on cooking an 18 pounder at normal grid height - make sure you do a dry run first and make sure it fits (and make sure you don't puncture the bird with the thermometer stem). I've only cooked one that big a couple of times and found I needed to change the setup a bit to get the bird a bit lower.
    South SLO County
  • Little Steven
    Options
    cbmontgo said:

Water will cause your temp to stay low. The bird will give off plenty.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    When cooking a bird as large as a turkey It is common have your temp probe come in contact with the breast of the turkey when you shut the lid. As one post above mentions in closing the lid you can actually puncture the breast meat with the tip of your probe. This won't hurt the turkey, but it sure will throw off your temp readings. Here is an old BGE trick that works well when cooking turkey. Step one in this technique in "open a nice bottle o wine" , heres step two. use a small drill bit and simply drill a hole through the length of the cork. Slide the probe through the cork and use the cork as a spacer on the outside of your egg to keep the probe from coming in contact with your turkey. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'd also add that take a look at the Mad Max method for cooking a turkey.  It's the bomb!!!  Best turkey ever!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95