Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your High heat sear method ?

Options
im going to cook my first chops tonight 1.5/1.75" thick bone in rob chops. I would like a good sear. What temps do you use for sear and finishing. 

Comments

• HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    I usually go reverse sear. Indirect at 300, pull off at around 10-15 degrees below target internal temp. Then get egg up to 500-600 and sear on cast iron grate for a minute or two on each side 
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • bountyhunterboba
    Options
    I was told 700 sear 3 min/side fhen shut down for 6. Seemed like to much 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    hot tub then sear

no math, no thermometers, no nuthin

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    hot tub then sear

no math, no thermometers, no nuthin

And no dwell!
    NOLA
  • bountyhunterboba
    Options
    I usually go reverse sear. Indirect at 300, pull off at around 10-15 degrees below target internal temp. Then get egg up to 500-600 and sear on cast iron grate for a minute or two on each side 
    How long do you leave them on approximately?
  • HoosierBBQ
    Options
    For 1.5-1.75...probably about 10-12 minutes per side. It's been a while since I timed it so I would recommend checking temperature to be safe
  • bountyhunterboba
    Options
    Thanks! I really need a better thermometer. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I straight sear them if they are under 2". I cook to feel, but a good thermo is a great way to get comfortable. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Don't do this. Suddenly shutting down the fire causes smoldering and some nasty smoke flavors. I know the BGE website recommends this method, but I can tell you from experience that it ain't good. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    i just did two 1.5 bone in chops...brined , seasoned , raised direct at 375 ,10min ,flip...10min ,flip....5min,flip 5min,= 150 internal . rest for five and they are gone . :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Caveman pull at 140
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • HoosierBBQ
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Caveman pull at 140
    I've been wanting to try caveman but haven't pulled the trigger yet
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Caveman pull at 140
    I've been wanting to try caveman but haven't pulled the trigger yet
    No better time than the present. Do it!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Caveman is overrated, IMO.  The radiant heat doesn't seem to distribute evenly and the outside tends to burn before the inside cooks sufficiently.  Not a fan.

Cast iron sear right above the coals?  Count me in.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My personal go to is either T-Rex on the grid or Rev Sear with CI pan finish. Caveman once in a while. Many ways to do it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I love the minimax! Fill it up with lump and get her glowing. The heat source is 2"away...that's pretty awesome. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Never understood the shut down method. Bet it scares the buhgeezus outta you when you open that dome to pull the meat. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • HoosierBBQ
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Never understood the shut down method. Bet it scares the buhgeezus outta you when you open that dome to pull the meat. 
    Wasn't using the shut down method but in a similar incident I forgot to burp my egg and singed arm hair, eyelashes and some hair. I expected to walk into the house, look in the mirror and see no eyebrows. Shut down seems like a risky proposition.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Doesn't matter if it's steaks or chops I like to sear first then roast if thicker than 1 1/2".  I had been using 2 eggs to do this but recently I started searing with the dome open, inserting stone, closing dome and letting the mini settle in around 300 then roasting.  By not closing the dome the egg never really stabilizes and take minimal time to burn clean once closed.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Don't pay attention to temps.  Fully burning lump with the meat close.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like reverse searing while adding some smoke wood for the "low and slow" portion of the cook. Gives a really nice smoke-grilled flavor that I've never noticed with sous vide/hot tub then sear.
  • bountyhunterboba
    Options
    I tried reverse sear and ended up with IT of 145 the outside was a little over for my taste but near the bone they were perfect.
  • HurricaneEddie1
    Options
    I have a spider for my LBGE but I need to get a smaller grate.  What setup is that?  Large egg with 13" grate on the spider?
    Cooking on a LBGE and MM down in Miami, FL.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I have a spider for my LBGE but I need to get a smaller grate.  What setup is that?  Large egg with 13" grate on the spider?
    Large egg with a 13.5" Weber grate.  I am thinking of upgrading to a 13" BGE ss grate. A 14" grate would fit fine.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think many people will get the cast iron grate for the small egg (13 inches). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I do the same procedure but usually don't let it get up to 500-600.  I pull the chops off and then raise the temp to about 450.  I then cook direct longer per side (say 2-3 minutes).  I leave the temperature probe in, so that I can monitor the final temp.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I found I get a better sear at 600. These are the exact times to have a thermapen. You can still monitor, and your monitoring will decrease as you just get used to your timing I would assume. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I bought a 12" cast iron pan from Walmart.. I sear my 2" NY strips when the cast iron is 900deg. 

2 minutes on each side, then pull em off. Let them sit for about 20min and bring pit temp down to about 500ish. Cook to your liking. 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.