Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of Spatchcock Turkey:

Options
I have done several turkeys on my large Egg,but never a spatchcock, although, I have done countless chickens. Just wondering what size bird works well. Don't want to go to small or so large that I have trouble fitting it on the grill. If you have done a spatchcock turkey, what size would you say works best? I am cooking for 7 adults. Thanks. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

I have done a 14 pounder before but all birds are a little different in their structure.  Birds smaller than this easily fit on a large.  You can use a V rack under the middle to elevate and fit a larger bird on if push comes to shove.  I'm with Mickey - it's east to do a couple of these things if you think you may want some leftovers for sandwiches.  

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    I just did a test run this weekend on the xl with a 14 lbs bird won't do it any other way from now on
  • tferk
    tferk Posts: 34
    Options
    Great Idea, I did a 19# bird spatchcocked for last thanksgiving . It took 3.5 hours. Best Turkey ever, My brother in law  who is a grill master,and he even gave me the thumbs up.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

What size Egg??

I don't think a 14# would fit in my medium if spatched.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    I've done a spatchcocked whole turkey breast on a medium. That weighed 7.5 lbs without legs, thighs or wings. If I can find a whole non frozen 10 to 12 pounder the weekend before thanksgiving I'm going to try it. My family reunion is the sunday before and I want to bring it to that. If it won't all fit I'll whack off the legs and do them separately. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    As @berndcrisp asks-size of BGE is the key piece of this puzzle.  And a hatchet to spatch... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I have a large egg, I cooked an 18 lb turkey whole, I am wondering how big a turkey will fit in a spatchcock configuration. Do you think 14 or 15 pounds will fit?

Tfrk, what size egg did you cook that 19 lb bird on?
  • tferk
    Options
    It was on a large, It was tight but it fit , and was eggcellent
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

I did a 14 lb bird spatchcocked on my large....again some birds are long and some are short but fat...I used a short but fat bird to fit...best of luck and enjoy the grubb....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    I can routinely fit an 18# spatched turkey on the LBGE.  As @paseo mentions, the shape of the bird has quite a say.  Getting much beyond that and you have to get creative.
    And no joke with the hatchet as the turkey bones are much stronger than the simple spatch chix.  Spatch before the adult beverages are in the game...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Thanks all, I think I'll go with a 15 or 16 lb'er and give it a go. Plan to do all the traditional sides along with roasted brussles sprouts with bacon and an Egged apple pie. 
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited October 2016
    Options
    We did a 21 lb. bird last year. Ordered a fresh one from Publix and asked them to spatch it for us. It took 3 hours at 325 dome, almost half as much time as a whole bird. 

Can't get the pic to post from photobucket, but here's the post I made about it:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=1387621
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    There is a guy on youtube who uses a sawzall to spatchcock a turkey and a woman who uses pruning shears. I just used a large knife and determination.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I have some OXO poultry shears that are pretty heavy duty. Maybe a cleaver?
  • tferk
    Options
    I used my hunting knife , it does take patience and caution. One slip and there is trouble
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Maybe an old but sharp chefs knife with a  rubber mallet, with both hands out of the way. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    How about using pruning loppers? I know they do a great job on Emu. 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!