Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Kettle Jerk Wangs

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Have taken Dougherty's Wings under mine.

Where I'm at.

Rub
1T kosher
2t black pep
1T white pep(a constant in the Unicorn)
1t gran toasted onion (Savory Spice Shop)
1T gran garlic
2T Old Bay
1T Dash

Mop
2 Red Stripes(thanks to a really cool Jamaican cab driver in the Dells)
4T Walkerswood Hot jerk paste
3/4C brown sugar
Bring to boil, simmer 15-30 min to reduce a little.

2 zone kettle, Minion startup, 270s.  Had a chunk of pear wood in the deck box..  

Ghetto rollin' smoke.

Mopped every 30 min or so for two hours, then went wide open, searing skin over briqs.

My flavorful neti pot.  So smokes the traditional Buffalo "hot" wing.

Thanks fer lookin'
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Beautiful Brandon!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Those wangs look crazy good.  I'll be keeping that recipe.  Thank you for posting it

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Chicken wings AND a reason to buy some Red Stripe!

Bookmarked!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Good looking wings. Look nice and crispy. 
     My kettle is my chicken cooker, especially with the vortex and my roti for whole chicken. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Wow ......  Off the chart!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn, I want wings.  Great color on those.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Those really look great. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great wing cook!  Your spice bowl pic makes me think you're spending too much time on @tarheelmatt's blog, just saying  ;).  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Great looking wings!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks guys for the nice comments, can't wait to tear into the leftovers today for lunch.  smokeyj said:
    Good looking wings. Look nice and crispy. 
     My kettle is my chicken cooker, especially with the vortex and my roti for whole chicken. 
    From other posts, I know, you know your way around many different cookers.
    I too, favor the flavor of the kettle on poultry.  The Cajun Bandit rotis is one of the best accessories I have purchased.  Even bought a kettle to dedicate it.  

Have the Weber Charcoal Baskets, fire bricks, and usually hand stack the snake on the outer edge of the kettle bowl...but for $40, I may have to play.  Like how he sets the oak right on the cooking grid.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8nbfRC4KM
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tikigriller
    Options
    Great. Now I want a Weber. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Perfect...Comes to mind...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Honestly, I have been running two larges and a small.  
    IMHO, the best setup would not be multiple eggs...it would be a LBGE and Weber OTG.  The safe zone, as the Bob Ross of BBQ(Steve Raichlen) calls it, is huuuuge.
    You get the best of both worlds.  Smoke and grill on the kettle.  Bake, grill, stir fry on the egg, smoke in the colder months for convenience.     
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Perfect...Comes to mind...
    Thanks D, they were delish.  Not for the heat sensitive though. lol
    Could easily roll with the WW mild for a crowd, or cut it 50/50 hot/mild.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tikigriller
    Options
    Focker said:
    IMHO, the best setup would not be multiple eggs...it would be a LBGE and Weber OTG.  The safe zone, as the Bob Ross of BBQ(Steve Raichlen) calls it, is huuuuge.
    You get the best of both worlds.  Smoke and grill on the kettle.  Bake, grill, stir fry on the egg, smoke in the colder months for convenience.     
    Do you use lump in the Weber or just go with charcoal?

Livermore, California
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Do you use lump in the Weber or just go with charcoal?
    I use both, no worries. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tikigriller
    Options
    I might need to grab one. I am having too many cases where I wish I had a second grill because the egg, pellet grill, large charcoal grill and gasser just aren't enough. 

Livermore, California
  • Focker
    Options
    I might need to grab one. I am having too many cases where I wish I had a second grill because the egg, pellet grill, large charcoal grill and gasser just aren't enough. 
    Wally World is having some great clearance sales right now.  blasting picked up a Master Touch 50% off, great deal.  I scored a 14.5 WSM for $74, normally $200.  Found my Weber OTG on Craigslist for $30, estate type deal.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tikigriller
    Options
    Focker said:
    Wally World is having some great clearance sales right now.  blasting picked up a Master Touch 50% off, great deal.  I scored a 14.5 WSM for $74, normally $200.  Found my Weber OTG on Craigslist for $30, estate type deal.  
    I will keep my eyes open, but with our weather in California, we tend not to see the same level of discounts as I have seen posted around here to clear out the summer cooking season stuff......

Livermore, California
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mighty fine looking wings!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have a 26" Weber and I want to work with Tom at Ceramic Grill Store to make me Woo Ring. I could see a raised 24" with a spider built in for a stone...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas