Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bambi half-smasshin' it with the BS Tailgater

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Full tank, both truck and water bladder, loaded up for my opening day 2016.  Loud Thunder Forest Preserve is open Nov 1st, but I'm P-Town bound until then at Big Bend.  Will roll out a little later than norm, have a couple of branches to cut as I climb.  Want to do that with a little bit of dawn light.  Wish me luck, I need it this season.  Taking the boy out to spectate in the ground blind.  Hoping he likes the "time out" in the timber.

Fired up the BS wide open.  Approx 1/3lbers, Game On.

Ernyin, Bells were from a friends garden, and done first.

Chedda and Bourbon Boetje's Stone Ground, and a hoppy SA.  Damn good eats on the fine china.

"Mmmmmmm, deer."  Hahaha

Really dig making the smashes a little bigger.  
And wouldn't hesitate to throw Game On a beef burger as well.

Thanks fer lookin'.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Excellent man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Options
    Excellent man!
    Thanks Blake.  The Tailgater gets hot quick.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Focker said:
     but I'm P-Town bound until then at Big Bend
    P-Town bound? with lay over or pass thru? Be sure to have all your gun permits, locks, and wearing your best mean ass Joe Green look! Still open season here with the idiots on the lam from Chicago. Best advice the cops give here is if you find yourself a target stand still - don't move - they steal guns, but only learn to point and fire "gangsta" style from rap videos. BUT if you do get the DROP on them shoot to make it count!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to get my Blackstone game on. Started season it today with some coconut oil. Starting to get a nice dark surface. 

You two have fun. Hope you come back with something. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    P-Town bound? with lay over or pass thru? Be sure to have all your gun permits, locks, and wearing your best mean ass Joe Green look! Still open season here with the idiots on the lam from Chicago. Best advice the cops give here is if you find yourself a target stand still - don't move - they steal guns, but only learn to point and fire "gangsta" style from rap videos. BUT if you do get the DROP on them shoot to make it count!
    Lol, sound advice!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Looks awesome! Can't wait to get my Blackstone game on. Started season it today with some coconut oil. Starting to get a nice dark surface. 

You two have fun. Hope you come back with something. 
    Looking good V, you will love it.

Man brother, I do too. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    Options
    Can I ask where you picked up your griddle accessories? My next step
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Can I ask where you picked up your griddle accessories? My next step
    The Nordic Ware melting domes I found at the VA in Ia City.  They are on amazon.

I found a semi-flexible Dexter Russell spatula for $1.  They too, can be found on amazon.  Well worth it IMO.

Found another vintage Ekco thin flex spatula for a buck.  Awesome for eggs.

Egg rings are nice to have.  I have a set of these from TJ Maxx

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0047Q5X4Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1475460068&sr=1-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=round+egg+rings&dpPl=1&dpID=41H-Lh4SWxL&ref=plSrch

Squirt bottles I picked up at a restaurant supply store.  

Only thing I would like to have maybe is a stiff spatula.
    I get by with using a round CI bacon/panini press and parchment paper for smashing.  
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000DDVV9/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475461376&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=bacon+press&dpPl=1&dpID=51QuZJJIQUL&ref=plSrch
    A smaller skillet works here too.

Whatever you do, don't bother with Blackstone's set.  You can domuch better getting what you want separately, and cheaper, and better tools.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks @Focker for the accessory tips. I kind of assumed that the Blackstone set was a bunch of cheap crap thrown together and overpriced. Just like any grill accessory kit.

Just noticed the bottle top opener in the pic. Nice!

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Thanks @Focker for the accessory tips. I kind of assumed that the Blackstone set was a bunch of cheap crap thrown together and overpriced. Just like any grill accessory kit.

Just noticed the bottle top opener in the pic. Nice!
    Thanks V, they are a huge hit.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    Lol, sound advice!
    Honest! Peoria is covered by that shot detection sound system which tri-anglulates shots so immediately police are dispatched. It is nothing at all for them to locate 12 to 10 spent shells and yet no one is ever hit! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Things started out great, jammin Tim McGraw's Indian Outlaw from the tape deck.
    https://youtu.be/mwPrcuo_cUE
    So jacked up, to just drop something. Lol

Stopped at the corner in Erie as I turn, my grandparents church, at 0430 for a prayer.  Somewhere along the lines of, "Please Lord, don't let me Fock up today."  The sh!tstorm rolled in after that.

My shortcut trail is flooded, trees down.  Walked around, no biggie, but then the skeeters attacked.  It was horrendous.  In the case of the P Town Predator vs the Focking skeeters, the Focking skeeters won.
    Got turned around in the timber from all of the brush and driftwood that was pushed in.  Couldn't even sit, it sucked.  I was forced to abort.  Not bad, getting 6K of steps by 0900 with my Summit Titan and gear on.

My cousin last year climbed down when he was unbearably freezing with early signs of hypothermia, went to Casey's and texted us still sitting in the trees he was having a hot coffee and doughnut, with sprinkles.  Now a running joke.  It was one of those days. Hahaha

Stopped by my grandparents down the street from Casey's to finish my coffee.  Can hear my grandpa, "Pook, we would sit in this all day, lol."

Unit CNA/secretary's last day is Sat, we do pot lucks when peeps go on Neuro/Onc.  Going to miss her dearly, a helluva co-worker and friend.  She requested pulled beef.  Aldi had two 4lbers, $2.99 per lb...done.

Decided to turn this frown upside down.

Seasoning Booger with two separate smokes, finishing both chucks in the egg and Lodge DO.

Feel much better now, rolling RO and hickory.  I will wait, and regroup.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    your posts just get better with age. For the record, the P-town Caseys is quite nice.
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    your posts just get better with age. For the record, the P-town Caseys is quite nice.
    Thanks Pete, wish I did to.
    That really old gas station past Casey's on Route 2 going out of town looks well seasoned.  Lol

The Phillips 66 in Hillsdale was a family hotspot.  My dad and his buddies would toss empty beer cans on the roof.  Cousin Jim Leclair owned it at the time.  They never told him, went up on the roof once, and was pi$$ed, said the beer cans were a foot deep. Hahahahaha
    Good stuff.

Kind of enjoy highjacking my own posts, putting a little sprinkle or two of myself, in each.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Dome therm is good.  Booger is rock steady.
     Getting ready for stage 2.  Going with one jalapeno for a mostly female crowd.  If I need to kick it up at the end, I'll dice a calabrian or two.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    Lol, sound advice!
    Honest! Peoria is covered by that shot detection sound system which tri-anglulates shots so immediately police are dispatched. It is nothing at all for them to locate 12 to 10 spent shells and yet no one is ever hit! 
    Never heard of the sound detection system. And they never find the idiots who do it.
    Sad, what the world has turned into Ron.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    High 160s.  Lookin good.  A RO and hickory top off, then chuckie #2 hits the smoke.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I went hunting once in lower SC. I didn't watch the weather. It was 60 the morning that I left the upstate and 40 the next morning. I had brought a very light jacket. I decided after an few hours that it was time to get in the sun. I climbed down and starting putting my stand together for the walk out and I heard something charging through the woods. It was a buck (8 point with a weird/bad rack). From the scope It seemed like a 4 point. I let it huff and stomp for a few minutes, but it just wouldn't leave. It (I) ate well.

The story of your cousin reminded me of this.
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Elijah said:
    I went hunting once in lower SC. I didn't watch the weather. It was 60 the morning that I left the upstate and 40 the next morning. I had brought a very light jacket. I decided after an few hours that it was time to get in the sun. I climbed down and starting putting my stand together for the walk out and I heard something charging through the woods. It was a buck (8 point with a weird/bad rack). From the scope It seemed like a 4 point. I let it huff and stomp for a few minutes, but it just wouldn't leave. It (I) ate well.

The story of your cousin reminded me of this.
    GREAT ending story @Elijah, love it man.    

Weatherman was off 10 degrees today with clouds.  Forecast was sunny and 70s.

You should hear us chirpin in our trees with the phones every morning we're out.  We have fun.  Many stories I can't post here. Lol  Wouldn't want it any other way.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options

#2 hummin along.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Warming my bones beside the fires.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Passed QC.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    13 hrs waterless with lump and one reload inbetween ..awesome.  Second batch should finish up around 0200.  Fire still providing warmth with a T-shirt.

Not one skeeter bite!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks pretty awesome! For those skeeters you should get a thermacell. Place it between your boots in you tree stand on you will see a wall of them about 3 feet away and not a single bite.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Focker
    Options
    Looks pretty awesome! For those skeeters you should get a thermacell. Place it between your boots in you tree stand on you will see a wall of them about 3 feet away and not a single bite.
    Thanks Ben for the tip!  The max life for 12 hours may be the ticket for sitting all day.  Looking into getting one.  Again, thanks buddy.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

For venison, I used to be a salt & pepper only guy.  Until I tried that Game On.  Chris hit a homerun on that.  Very subtle flavors that pair perfectly with game, IMO. 

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Focker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Wardster said:

For venison, I used to be a salt & pepper only guy.  Until I tried that Game On.  Chris hit a homerun on that.  Very subtle flavors that pair perfectly with game, IMO. 

Agree 100%, my new favorite from the DP lineup.  All cuts of beef are fair game with Game On now.  Put on a nice crust with the chucks and this longer smoke.  Added a little when pulling at the end.  Neuro/Onc is in for a treat Saturday.  Didn't get done until 0400 today.  Glad that project is checked off the list.  She deserves it.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Not to hijack your thread @Focker. But I tagged a buck last evening.
    9pt.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Focker
    Options
    Not to hijack your thread @Focker. But I tagged a buck last evening.
    9pt.

Feel free to highjack any time for this.
    NICE BUCK!!!

Where are you located? 
    Bow or gun?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pescadorzih
    Options
    PA. Bow.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset