Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Hot Is the Perfect Butt?

Options
Vtwynn
Vtwynn Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
TNW suggests 200 F
Posts on this forum suggest 185 to 190 F[p]Wireless Thermometer suggest pork well done at 180 F[p]Much obliged to hear some Butt-Lovin' professional Eggers' opinions on the subject![p]I fully realize I'm probably opening a can o' worms here, but here goes...[p]what is lowest temperature to safely remove pork from the Egg? [p]And, what is recommended "best" temperature?[p]Thx in advance to all.[p]Vtwynn

Comments

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    vtwynn,[p]I shoot for 205 myself. I have found that I like the results at that temp. The meat is pullable once it reaches 195, lower than that and it wont shread. [p]For some reason they seam a little less greasy to me at the 205....
  • Ronbo
    Ronbo Posts: 90
    Options
    Master Mason,
    I am with you. Minimal is 200 but I usually go for 200+ a couple of degrees

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    7c583015.jpg
    <p />vtwynn,[p]If you are making pulled pork wait until the temp gets around 190° then start testing the butt for doneness, but the thermometer won't help you. Truth is there is no real magic number on a lo-n-slo cook. There are too many variables during the 10,12,16,18 hours of cooking. Signs that the butt is ready would be: The bone is good and loose and ready to slip out, or a skewer slides in without any resistance or the butt is slumping on the grate and trying to fall apart. [p]For slicing or chopping, 175°ish works well.[p]Minimum safe temps for pork are around 145°.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Damn.....that look's tasty!! Did you use a glaze? If so can ya tell what it is as my freezer is empty and I was wanting to fill it up with some pulled pork.[p]Howard

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    vtwynn,
    The 180 number on the wireless thermometer is almost certainly a suggestion for well done pork roast. Pork butt is totally different. You aren't trying to cook it to medium or well done, etc. You are trying to convert all the collagen to gelatin to make a moist lip smacking tasty product. I don't think there is a correct "perfect" temperature as it probably varies from butt to butt, but 200 is certainly a good target to use.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Vtwynn
    Vtwynn Posts: 11
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]thanks for the great reply and the picture of the perfect butt. looks awesome. i'm not worthy...yet...[p]many thanks and happy smoking[p]vtwynn
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Howard,[p]Nope, no glaze. I favor the Eastern NC basting sauces (vinegar, water, salt, black and red pepper), so that one may have gotten a taste of that. I also will tent with foil toward the end of the cook to control the color and bark.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    vtwynn,
    Remember ... the meat will carry over a few degrees after pulling from the fire. I find that 193 or 194 works great for me. Usually finishes in the 200's.[p]Doug

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    vtwynn,[p]At 185 I begin testing the bone. I only cook bone in butts. When the bone twists and pulls easily, the meat is ready and I remove it from the egg. The roast is then wrapped in foil and towels and set in a preheated cooler for 45 minutes to 4 hours (it is always hot as heck even after 4 hours). Then I pull them and shread them. As to the temp it goes from 187 to 195 with 189 being the most prevelant. But in my case it changes from butt to butt. As I usually cook 3-4 butts at once I have had over an hour separate the first from the last with less than 4 degrees of temp separating the butts. My advice, go by the bone. As a side note everytime I have cooked boneless they never seem to cook as well.