Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

USA Road Trip ... What Shouldn't We Miss?

Options
2»

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    I would also say go to craters of the moon national monument in Idaho 
     I was just going to say this - went there as a teenager, it's worth a stop to see, just so different than anything else.  We just stopped for maybe 2-3 hours while passing through, I'm not sure I would want to spend lots of time there, but def worth a short detour.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Yellowstone is huge. Fires are commonplace. Don't let that discourage you. It's a 100% must see. 
    totally agree - so much park to see, unless it's all on fire, there will be plenty there to blow you away.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Botch said:
    Zion is close to Bryce, and stunning (especially if you can approach the park from the east, there's this tunnel...).
    And Sedona AZ is not too far from Monument Valley, in fact I'm spending next week there myself.  

Enjoy the trip!  
    ahhh sedona, the geographic center of the universe.  Be sure to drive oak creek canyon from flagstaff and while youre there, venture a little further and see the grand canyon, if youve never seen it before.  Spectacular beyond words
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    See if there are any 'Presidential Libraries' along the way, they are all interesting.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Bunny Ranch?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Hairless_Hand
    Options
    i went to yellowstone and never looked up, theres fish in those rivers. best fly fishing week i ever had was in the quake/slide area outside the west gate =) i hear theres things to see there as well =) be careful near waters outside the park, the land owners are not really nice if you step on their land
    What fishless said. Go fly fishing on the Madison river below the quake slide area. I lived out there one summer and caught some amazing trout out of that section of river. If you don't know what you are doing go ahead and pay for a guide.  

Tip: Look out for the moose that like to hang out in the willows near the river. I am much more scared of a moose than a bear!
  • tikigriller
    Options
    We have now all officially planned a two month trip for you!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Anything related to the Grand Canyon.  If you are headed to Vegas then take the new bridge over the Colorado by the Hoover Dam.  You can park there and walk back over the bridge for the most spectacular view of Hoover Dam you can imagine.  You can also tour the dam itself if you have time.
    New Orleans LA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i went to yellowstone and never looked up, theres fish in those rivers. best fly fishing week i ever had was in the quake/slide area outside the west gate =) i hear theres things to see there as well =) be careful near waters outside the park, the land owners are not really nice if you step on their land
    What fishless said. Go fly fishing on the Madison river below the quake slide area. I lived out there one summer and caught some amazing trout out of that section of river. If you don't know what you are doing go ahead and pay for a guide.  

Tip: Look out for the moose that like to hang out in the willows near the river. I am much more scared of a moose than a bear!
    and falling mountain goats =)  everybody hits the 3 dollar bridge, i like the area between the slide and the bridge with the fast pocket water over those sharp rocks where that mountain ledge starts right on the road. its fast and furious action right there =) get a guide and fish the private side the first day then hit the public side every day after, nobody fishes there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    My wife and I are embarking on a road trip in September. We are starting in SF, then on to Lake Tahoe, Boise, Boise and Sawtooth National Forests, Idaho Falls, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Arches National Park, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon and ending in Vegas.

In these places, or areas near them, are there any parks, monuments, etc. that are "oh you must go and see/do that"? Would be grateful of local knowledge to help make our journey outstanding. I did check if there were any CGS outlets en route, no luck though ... well, except Eggs on the Bay but they won't be open when we are there.
    if you and your wife enjoy hiking and have any experience at backpacking Lake Aloha in Tahoe is a must in my book also make sure to check out Horsetail Falls  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    It's interesting to read different perspectives. I wouldn't give you 50 cents to see the Grand Canyon again. To me it's just a big brown hole in the ground. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    Options
    It's interesting to read different perspectives. I wouldn't give you 50 cents to see the Grand Canyon again. To me it's just a big brown hole in the ground. 
    the fishing aint that great either =)
    fukahwee maine

• bhedges1987
    Options
    Ditch Yellowstone for Estes park and thank me later. Yellowstone was so underwhelming. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I would not have given 50 cents to see it the first time.  Having seen it, I cant wait to get back :)
    New Orleans LA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The canyon is on my bucket list.....to raft through it that is.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Ditch Yellowstone for Estes park and thank me later. Yellowstone was so underwhelming. 
    Never heard that in my life. I'm interested in why you say it's underwhelming. 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Never heard that in my life. I'm interested in why you say it's underwhelming. 

I had just came from Rocky Mountain National Park.  I just personally thought it wasn't near as beautiful. Let me say, not underwhelming, I guess that was a bad word.  I just expected more. I saw all of the same wildlife in RMNP - along with beautiful mountains and waterfalls.  

I wasn't a big fan of all of the parts of the mountains that had fires.  Seemed 3/4 of the park had dead trees.  This was back in '99 however.  Wasn't a big fan of the recommended campgrounds or hikes either - again comparing to what I had just left in RMNP for my personal taste that is.  I actually just got back a few weeks ago from RMNP.

EDIT** My wife wants to go to yellowstone, so I will be going next year Perhaps my perception of beauty has changed since I was a kid in '99.  I used to not like bbq... See how that changes!?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    There is two national parks in. Moab, Canyonlands and Arches. They are both great and there is a lot to do there.  Rent a Jeep and go 4 Wheeling.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the yellowstone moose are the smallest ive ever seen, a one year old moose in new england is the size of a bull moose in yellowstone and our moose are not considered huge
    fukahwee maine

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I think you need to head North out of SF and drive up route 1. It's a very scenic drive all the way up the coast. Then see the redwood forrests. It's amazing to see trees that tall. Those trees are up to almost 380 feet tall. There are redwoods close to SF if you don't have much time, but the coastal redwoods in Northern California are so tall and there's large groves of them that you can drive and walk through.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Skip Sedona.    ALL the life has been sucked out of the place by New Age Crooks.

Bryce / Zion are considered 'jewels'.    Try to actually get OUT of the car and WALK.

Don't forget the CAMERA and that the best times are either EARLY or LATE, not near noon when the shadows are very Uninteresting.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    edited September 2016
    Options
    In souther Utah myself near Zion pm me if you want.  We also have snow canyon state park which I like to hike just as much (way less crowded).  There is an old mining town/ghost town that is neat called Silver Reef.  Also, north of Vegas you have valley of fire which is amazing and not often thought of.  

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/valley-of-fire-state-park/

http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/snow-canyon/
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2016
    Options
    On the way to Yellowstone , Grand Tetons, and Glacier National Park (will be in Rawlings, WY tonight and in the parks Sat). Did this last year and IMO Glacier won out. 
    But last year went on up the Glacier Highway to Jasper in Canada that was even better as far as the mountains. Safe travels. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dsmithok
    Options
    We would go back to Crater Lake in a heartbeat.  Bryce, Zion, Yellowstone and the others are great recommendations, but we thought Crater Lake was worth a return trip.  I have to admit that we had done all of the others before a return engagement, and only Yellowstone amazed us.  We had been there before the fire on our first trip, and a number of years after the fire on our return trip.  The difference was astounding, but well worth the trip.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Begger said:
    Skip Sedona.    ALL the life has been sucked out of the place by New Age Crooks.

Bryce / Zion are considered 'jewels'.    Try to actually get OUT of the car and WALK.

Don't forget the CAMERA and that the best times are either EARLY or LATE, not near noon when the shadows are very Uninteresting.
    Youre really describing jerome.    

Sedona offers scenery combination found nowhere else